Menu

Caffeine withdrawal

How long will it take the headaches to go away? I tried googling it, and only found articles with helpful advice such as- "You can avoid caffeine withdrawal by never consuming caffeine". :thumbdown:

Anyhow, my head is throbbing, Tylenol doesn't help, and I wonder when I'll start feeling better! Where is the pity party smilie. :tongue_smilie:

It took two weeks for the worst symptoms of caffeine withdrawal to go away. For me the worst symptom was cotton-mouth. For that whole two weeks it felt and tasted like my mouth was stuffed with cotton. Nothing would get rid of the taste. The headaches were pretty bad, but at least Advil could help with those.

I've been caffeine-free for 20 years except for one incident 16 years ago when I tried an Orange Crush before realizing it had caffeine. I had the shakes for several hours after that and I only had about half the can before realizing that something was wrong.

edited to add:

Oops. Not Orange Crush. It was Sunkist Orange.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I found the first two days were the worst but I had headaches for nearly a week...and I had already cut down to nearly none gradually, so it wasn't a full cold-turkey stop. I didn't expect it to last so long...

Rest assured it WILL go away! Hopefully sooner rather than later, for your sake. :001_smile:

It took two weeks for the worst symptoms of caffeine withdrawal to go away. For me the worst symptom was cotton-mouth. For that whole two weeks it felt and tasted like my mouth was stuffed with cotton. Nothing would get rid of the taste. The headaches were pretty bad, but at least Advil could help with those.

I've been caffeine-free for 20 years except for one incident 16 years ago when I tried an Orange Crush before realizing it had caffeine. I had the shakes for several hours after that and I only had about half the can before realizing that something was wrong.

Orange Crush has caffeine? I had no idea! I thought all of the fruity sodas were caffeine free. Guess I shouldn't assume.

It takes me a week to get past the splitting headaches and two weeks to be totally pain free. If it's any consolation, I'm a fellow caffeine addict who is trying to get off it too. I am so not looking forward to those headaches. I hope it is a comfort to you that you're not alone anyway. :) Good luck to you. :)

You can avoid them completely by gradually eliminating caffeine. I've done it by adding more and more decaf to my coffee each day. However, when I've gone cold turkey, it's taken a week, and no medication has touched it (except codeine), and consuming caffeine again hasn't helped either...

Drinking lots of water may help. Hope you feel better soon!

:iagree:

You can avoid them completely by gradually eliminating caffeine. I've done it by adding more and more decaf to my coffee each day. However, when I've gone cold turkey, it's taken a week, and no medication has touched it (except codeine), and consuming caffeine again hasn't helped either...

:iagree:

There is a thread somewhere on here in which I was trying to stop drinking coffee - I went about a week and a half before I started drinking it again. But I had no headaches at all. I cut my caffeine intake by half each day until I was down to half a cup - then went to none the day after that. I also drank more water than I thought was humanly possible. I was seriously in the bathroom constantly, but no headaches at all.

I had to start drinking coffee again because of my asthma - without it I couldn't breathe. Who knew it was acting as my daily medicine? :glare:

Thank you all so much for the replies! :grouphug:

I woke up this morning without a headache. :D Yesterday my headache didn't start until evening though.

I know tapering off caffeine is a better way to do it. I was only having 2 cups of green or white tea a day, so I didn't really expect there to be a problem. For medical reasons I had to go cold turkey. At the same time, I gave up gluten after two weeks of bingeing on it in preparation for a celiac biopsy. Maybe that can cause withdrawal too? :confused:

It took two weeks for the worst symptoms of caffeine withdrawal to go away. For me the worst symptom was cotton-mouth. For that whole two weeks it felt and tasted like my mouth was stuffed with cotton.

That is so interesting! Last night I was complaining to my husband that my mouth felt weird, and too dry. I drank a ton of water yesterday and couldn't get rid of the feeling. It was kind of like when you eat way too many sweets and are dying for a drink of water. (not that I've ever eaten too many sweets :blushing:)