Menu

How do you

take a sick day?

So far, my husband's work schedule has been flexible enough that he can take a day off when I am sick, but he will be starting a new position in January that will not enable him to do that.

My two older dc can fend for themselves for a day if needed, but I have a 20 month old who is into everything! When I'm sick, I just don't have the energy to chase her.

What do other moms of young children do when they're sick?

Yep, I still remember once when I was sick, I started feeling better. DD asked, can I watch tv, and I said no. She said, "you must be feeling better!" :)

We don't have alot of tv at our house, but there are times when it is really useful! Although a 20 month old may not be too interested...

I think when she was smaller I would put a dvd on, then spread out as many toys as possible in front of the couch where I was laying. Close doors or gate off if you need to contain her.

PS, my mom used to say you don't know what motherhood is until the first time you and your little one are both sick at the same time! She was right.

I have never gotten a sick day :-( I had influenza A when I was 8 mos. preggo with DS#3 and I had a 6 YO and a 2YO. I get NO help, DH can never take off for me to be sick. I just power through. I also had 2 weeks of bedrest, with of course no help.

Right now we are just coming off the stomach flu and I have bronchitis and can barely breathe :-( It just sucks but I lay down as much as I can and when I get a second of energy, I try and make some food.

You will probably be surprised by the older two kids if you wind up sick enough that you need help. I had severe food poisoning when the kids were 4 1/2 and 2 1/2 (luckily they had something different for dinner). The 4 year old really pulled through for me (dh was out of town on business). She got snacks and drinks for herself and her sister, helped her sister get dressed and dressed herself, played nicely for two days giving in to her sister rather than arguing since she knew I couldn't deal with it, etc. It is amazing how capable kids are when they realize their parents are useless.

No sick day for me! I had a flu last week...just had to keep going. Dh got the flu this week, he stayed in bed all day, of course. :001_huh: I don't mind really, I'm now used to it. The boys follow me everywhere, even to the bathroom. They're like little ducklings, following mommy, even on the days that I'm not well. Just snuggle up on the bed with a big pile of books!

Back in those days, which were admittedly a while ago, I laid on the sofa with lots of toys around, blankets and pillows on the floor, snacks at the ready and the tv on. If I was truly sick, like throwing up, my DH would stay home but I didn't get sick like that too often.

take a sick day?

So far, my husband's work schedule has been flexible enough that he can take a day off when I am sick, but he will be starting a new position in January that will not enable him to do that.

My two older dc can fend for themselves for a day if needed, but I have a 20 month old who is into everything! When I'm sick, I just don't have the energy to chase her.

What do other moms of young children do when they're sick?

I would gate off my bedroom or living room and keep the child(ren) with me. Put in a DVD and have fun toys available and let them entertain themselves. Dh would prepare some simple finger foods that all I had to do was grab it and give it to the kids when they wanted to eat.

One thing is that Dh knew that if I didn't get enough rest when sick, I would land in the hospital ICU. So he would do everything in his power to get home as soon as possible to take over the homefront.

Edited by AnitaMcC