Menu

iPad, Kindle, Nook ... or something else?

My dh asked me yesterday what I wanted for Christmas. I'm truly at a loss - and the only thing I can think of is an ereader of some sort. I have an iPhone, and use the kindle app a lot on it. My dd is starting to read, and loves spending time with me on my phone with all the apps, and looking at kid books. So it would make sense to have a larger screened version. My only decision now is what exactly I would like - a Kindle, Nook - or even an iPad.

From those of you who have used them, what are your opinions? What do you like/dislike about each one of them? If I have an iPhone already (and LOVE it) is the iPad necessary? I love the idea of it, but don't know if it's just overkill. What do y'all think?

Thanks for the help and the info! :D

Yep--this is what my dd 8 said!

That was in May.

MY IPad is the MOST USED electronic device in our house--and we are a house full of techno-geeks!

My 8yo recently learned how to stream Netflix on the IPad-- she was ill last week and this came in handy as she is not allowed to watch 'live' TV.

Both DD8 and I have books downloaded that we read together AND seperate.

DD8 loves to practice her Math facts with one of the many math-apps.

Older dd's stream Netflix and play games--Angry Birds and "Just Pop It" are the 2 most played but the 'grown ups' in the family.

We recently took a road trip (dd8 and I). We had 9 hours in the car--so we 'rented' a few movies for dd to watch... this worked GREAT... with the IPAD she could Draw ("Drawing Pad" app--it is AWESOME!!!), play games--she loves Air Hockey and Square Dare, watch movies, read and even journal!

I keep my records for my online Math classes on my IPad (synced with my Mac for backups)... I LOVE the IPad 'Numbers' app (similar to MS Excell).

I can easily check my mail if someone takes over my main computer (I have the only Mac in the house)...

Anyways-- we LOVE LOVE LOVE MY I-Pad!

I started with an iPod Touch....loved it and used it until I finally qualified for the iPhone upgrade for my cell phone. DS inherited the iPod and I really find the iPhone very useful....have even taken to reading books via the Kindle for iPhone.

But, they're both small devices - so watching movies (on planes or when traveling) or reading a book (wherever) isn't great, but it is doable. DS likes to be able to play games or watch a movie in the car on long road trips or when I have to go to my OB appointments and he goes with me (that's when he's allowed such indulgences).

So, while I find both very useful and we use both a lot....I'm really hoping for an iPad for Christmas myself (hinted enough to DH and let his right-hand at work know too since she reminds him of such things!).....I just see the iPad as being a lot more versitile for my needs - especially with a hospital stay coming up in January, when baby is due.

The screen size and apps you can use on it look great and that I can use it for a number of HSing apps too - what more can you ask for?

I'm picky though - I want the one with WiFi and 3G....not sure if DH is going to bite for that cost though.....fingers crossed he does!

We have all of those (except we prefer Sony readers over the Nook) and they all get used used regularly, but for very different purposes. None of us much like pleasure reading on the iPad because of the LCD screen, but we use it all day long for school and other things. The Sony readers are used for library books and at least one is one nearly all the time. And the Kindle is great because Amazon still has the best ebook collection for sale out there.

So, in my opinion, you need to figure out of you want a dedicated ereader or not. If you do, you won't go wrong with any of the big three eInk devices, but if you want something you can read on but that does a million other things, then you'll probably think an iPad is the coolest thing ever. And if you don't care about eInk, then get the iPad.

If I have an iPhone already (and LOVE it) is the iPad necessary? I love the idea of it, but don't know if it's just overkill. What do y'all think?

Thanks for the help and the info! :D

I use my iPad so much... I ended up giving my Kindle to my FIL. (Don't get me wrong, I loved my Kindle too, just couldn't justify keeping them both when I knew my FIL would get some good use out of the Kindle.)

If you are already used to reading on your iPhone, I don't think reading on the iPad screen will bother you much. E-ink IS easier on the eyes, and MUCH better in the sunlight... Kindle wins hands down in that area. Overall, though, the iPad does so much more that for me, the trade off is worth it. :)

Have Kindle and color Nook. Played with ipad before but do not own. For me, I like the Kindle. I find the Nook to be inferior. That non-glare screen glares. For young kids, I would go with ipad. It is just sturdier. I think kids' books would be much better in color. Ipad to color Nook- hands down ipad.

I have an iPhone but if the money were available, I'd ask for an iPad in a heartbeat. As it is, the money is not there and so I asked for a Kindle. DH had to fly to India last month and checked all the e-readers out to see which one he liked best. According to him, the Kindle felt the best in his hands and was the best one out there.

Isn't there like a HUGE price difference between an ipad and a Kindle or Nook? I don't know about all of you, but price is somewhat of a deciding factor in this house. :confused:

Now between the Kindle and Nook...I vote Kindle. Mainly because Amazon is where I find ALL of my books. Rarely, if ever, do I shop at B&N.

I played with the Nook Color at B&N a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. Granted, this was my first time really playing with any e reader, but I was just never drawn to them before.

I like the fact that there was color on the pages, especially for childrens picture books, and the fact that it can read the books to my children (although I think that option is only available on some books).

Since then I researched the kindle online. I see it has a 'read to me' feature. Would that be the same thing as what I was saying the Nook does. Is it a 'pleasant' voice?

From what I understood, I thought you could get ebooks from anywhere, not just B&N. But with the Kindle, you have to use Amazon. Is this correct? I would think if you had any ereader, you could get books from anywhere.

What would be the difference (as far as e reading goes) in the Nook Color and the I Pad? For the record, I'm not very techie and I don't even get good use out of my ipod because it just seems like so much work to put songs on it.

I would agree with the previous poster that said it all depends on how you intend to use the device. If you strictly want an eBook reader, then you probably don't need an iPad.

Last week I got both the Kindle and NookColor & I'm still trying to decide which I prefer. Here are my thoughts on both:

Kindle:

- For me, it seems quicker & easier to buy books from Amazon & have them sent to my Kindle. The B&N process can be a bit slow at times.

- Amazon sometimes has better eBook prices than B&N. One book I wanted was $35.(!) for the Nook & only $9.99 for the Kindle.

- Amazon has a way bigger selection of books, though now that Google is selling eBooks that can be read on the Nook, this might change the game a bit (however, there are also issues with Google's bookstore that might be a deal breaker for me)

- The Kindle feels a little too lightweight/flimsy to me - I prefer the heavier Nook because it feels more like a real book.

Nook:

- Mine is having some serious issues with the touch screen. Specifically, at least once a day the device appears to have a mind of its own & will either flip pages quickly (all by itself!), highlight words & otherwise jump around very randomly. I'm not able to control it until I shut it off & turn it back on. Some quick Googling informed me that this is a software bug & I am not the only one having a problem with it.

- Generally, I prefer the touch screen aspect of the Nook as I find it easier to navigate around (that is, when it's working properly!)

- I greatly prefer the backlit screen on the Nook & have not found it to be hard on my eyes when reading. Though I love the Kindle's eInk, since I often read before bed in a semi-dark room, the Nook better suits my needs.

- I *love* being able to look at books (and magazines!) in color on the Nook.

- I like Nook's "lend me" feature, though I really wish the publishers wouldn't be quite so stingy about it.

- It's nice that I can browse the web, listen to music & do other things on the Nook, though quite honestly my kids use this feature more than I do!

Edited by KristineinKS

Thanks for your opinions on both!

So do you have to make separate purchases for each? Like if you wanted a book, you'd have to buy it from both places if you wanted it on each device?

Have you tried using the Nook outside? I heard that was an issue since it is an LCD screen.

Ginger