Menu

Christmas ideas for 14dd and 15dd--non electronic

Trying to come up with some Christmas ideas for my 14 and 15 year old daughers. They both have special needs and are more like a 11 (14 year old) and 8 (15 year old) but also have teen interests.

They both have MP3 players, personal DVD players, 14dd has a Nintendo DS, and 15dd has a cell phone. I really don't want more electronic stuff. They do use it but that is the problem, they get too into the electronics.

I know my 15dd could use a hackamore for her horse and I could likely find 14dd something for her horse. Then I was thinking new sleeping bags for them---not a wow factor but something good quality they would use for YEARS to come on an almost daily basis (they like sleeping bags vs. reg. sheets and blankets).

Then maybe a new purse for each, some earrings, light makeup--like lip gloss, etc.

Any other ideas? They can both read but aren't strong readers and we have plenty of books. They both have nice Bibles and covers.

I would love something with a bit of WOW factor but don't know what and I don't want to have a WOW factor but then have it be junk or not used later.

How about Zhu Zhu pets?? Then again they have horses, chickens (yes they are pets too), rabbits, a bird, fish, cats and a dog already.

I have a 23 year old that sounds like your girls. She's at about a 16 year old level. We are getting her card making supplies. She loves to make greeting cards and scrapbooking. I'm also going to get her a bunch of face medicine and some makeup. I know it really isn't Christmas type stuff but I hope if I get it for her she will use it!

Trying to come up with some Christmas ideas for my 14 and 15 year old daughers. They both have special needs and are more like a 11 (14 year old) and 8 (15 year old) but also have teen interests.

They both have MP3 players, personal DVD players, 14dd has a Nintendo DS, and 15dd has a cell phone. I really don't want more electronic stuff. They do use it but that is the problem, they get too into the electronics.

I know my 15dd could use a hackamore for her horse and I could likely find 14dd something for her horse. Then I was thinking new sleeping bags for them---not a wow factor but something good quality they would use for YEARS to come on an almost daily basis (they like sleeping bags vs. reg. sheets and blankets).

Then maybe a new purse for each, some earrings, light makeup--like lip gloss, etc.

Any other ideas? They can both read but aren't strong readers and we have plenty of books. They both have nice Bibles and covers.

I would love something with a bit of WOW factor but don't know what and I don't want to have a WOW factor but then have it be junk or not used later.

How about Zhu Zhu pets?? Then again they have horses, chickens (yes they are pets too), rabbits, a bird, fish, cats and a dog already.

Do they like dolls? What about American Girl dolls?

How about a magnifying makeup mirror?

What is that piece of furniture that you sit in front of to put your make-up on? You know, with 3 mirrors and a little bench?

A jewelry box or a ready-to-finish jewelry box?

Do you have a Target nearby? Their Christmas jewelry is $5 each this week (as opposed to $7 regularly.)

Do these help at all? :confused:

What about an experience gift? We've done this for our kids and they've loved it.

--tickets to a show and dinner out

--pottery classes or painting classes

--concert tickets

--a girls weekend somewhere complete with a mini spa day

--riding lessons (if they don't do that already)

Just some ideas, you know your girls. Anyway, sometimes it's a good gift to give an experience to something you know they would enjoy, but, wouldn't normally do.

How about a locket or a charm bracelet?

Great idea!

There is a jewelry trend in rubber stamping. Basically, it is a tiny picture frame on a chain and you can change what is in the picture frame.

Would that interest your girls? They could create new art for their jewelry frames over and over again.

Handcrafts are always worthwhile.

Sewing, embroidery, cross-stitch... Drawing, photography, nature journal stuff, scrapbooking... Art supplies, beading supplies, keyboard if they are musical.

Classes - pottery classes, wood-working class, music lessons, etc.

Tickets - to a museum, a play, a show, movie theatre, or other place they'd like to visit.

We like to give useful, purposeful gifts that either teach a new skill, enhance an old skill, or encourage something lovely.

Our 14yo wants a window seat / bookshelves for her room. She'll be getting books (obviously), a bit of jewelry from Grandma, pajamas, make-up case, various odds & ends in her stocking, and probably more books. Her entire Christmas list was books and bookshelves. :tongue_smilie:

I tried a mother/daughter pottery class but it didn't fly so it looks like it will be just a mama pottery class, lol.

Last year we got her a basket and filled it with knitting supplies and a gift certificate for knitting classes - something she wanted. That was THE most fun gift to give - it had needles, stitch markers, yarn, a good beginner book with patterns.

One year we gave them live rabbits. :) A new hobby!

My DS (11) is very big into outdoors/survival/etc. He needs a foot locker, backpacking gear, etc. Even the 5yo will be getting a real lantern for camping (vs. the toy version) as we think it's FAR more useful and encouraging.

So think on their talents/gifts/likes and encourage those in them as much as possible!! Much more long term enjoyable than a stuffed thing that you'll donate to Goodwill this time next year!

Thanks for the ideas. I talked to dh and we have a few ideas now. I think that sleeping bags will be part of the gift and then something for their animals and then something pretty/teen like for themselves.

We are really trying to cut down on Christmas buying all around. We all have too much stuff adn don't need much at all.