Menu

ok,whats the difference between 3G and just wifi?? ......(kindle question)

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that 3G will let you download books almost anywhere in the US, while Wi-Fi only means you have to be in a "hot spot" to do so. I have a Kindle 2 with both and I can download books, browse the internet (basic tasks), shop in the Kindle store anywhere. If it only had Wi-Fi I'd have to be somewhere like Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, etc. to get a signal.

Someone more savvy will be able to answer this better than me, probably.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that 3G will let you download books almost anywhere in the US, while Wi-Fi only means you have to be in a "hot spot" to do so. I have a Kindle 2 with both and I can download books, browse the internet (basic tasks), shop in the Kindle store anywhere. If it only had Wi-Fi I'd have to be somewhere like Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, etc. to get a signal.

Someone more savvy will be able to answer this better than me, probably.

:iagree:

This is my understanding as well and the reason dh bought 3G instead of wifi.

Depending on where you live, WiFi hotspots might be everywhere, or they may be hard to find. Like an iPhone or other smartphone, if you get the 3G, you can access the Kindle store almost anywhere. If you live in a busy city with free wifi, or if you only foresee needing to download books at home (with your wireless computer modem) or in airports (or other free wifi spots), you can save the money and skip the 3G.

ooooh, you can browse internet?? Didnt know that!

Ok, so the 3G means I can download and browse internet anywhere (for free?)! right?

You can with Wi-Fi too, but in Wi-Fi hotspots.

I struggle with the internet part though - it's not formatted well so I do only the necessary and most basic of tasks on it, and only when I can't get to my computer. It's a nice feature to have if I NEED to look up info from my email when I'm out of the house. I don't browse all my friends' FB stati or anything like that. Too hard, IMHO. And leaving the Wireless connection on is a total battery drain. I played with it for a while when I first got the Kindle - now I leave the Wireless Connection off unless I absolutely need it.

You're likely not going to want to browse the web much on it, though it is nice to have it available. I'm happy with the wi-fi-only model and have no need for 3G or 24/7 access to the Kindle store, though you may as well get that model if you think you'll use 3G. I also keep the wi-fi off unless I'm downloading something.

Edited by WordGirl

Yes, the costs of the 3G are wrapped up in the price of the Kindle and the books. No monthly subscriptions or charges.

I have the 2nd generation that is 3G, Edge and Whispernet enabled and I have yet to find a place that I CAN'T get reception with it. We were up in the mountains over the summer and my cellphone was completely useless but I was able to get wireless on my Kindle :)

I found the 3G to be very handy. We have tons of wifi hotspots around, but they are usually password protected.

I don't have my kindle anymore (another iPad defector); but it was very, very handy to download books while we were out. I could be out at park day & download a recommended book, or out on vacation in a spot without wifi and still get to the kindle store.

The browser is pretty rudimentary, but you can do some limited web browsing... Yes the 3G is free with the Kindle.