Menu

50 lbs of wheat grain = how many cups approx?

I'm not sure how many cups 50 lbs is, but for our family of four, our current use of wheat comes to about 150 lbs per year. (dc = ds13 & dd8). I do make pretty much all our bread products. I also use some millet, flax, buckwheat, barley, oats, nut meals, bran, wheat germ etc. in my baking, but the bulk of what I use is wheat.

Hope this helps :)

We are a family of 6 and I buy about 50 lbs of Prairie Gold every 3 months. This is strictly for bread and pizza dough (yeast breads). I also buy 50 lbs of soft wheat (which is a little cheaper) for pancakes cookies, ect.. This will usually last me about 6 months.

PS - I was shocked at the price increase. I just found out yesterday the Prairie Gold increased about $10 a 50 lb. bag. YIKES!

• 2 years later...
We have a co-op, and I have the option of buying 25 or 50 pounds of Prairie Gold. We are a family of 5. I make my own bread, muffins, pancakes, etc.

Any idea how much I should order?

Which Co-op do you use. I know we don't live too far apart and I'm thinking of getting a nutrimill soon. I did find a place locally to get wheat berries(it's a couple of sisters running an at home business) but it's $41.85 for a 45lb pail and I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. Although there is the convenience factor of not having to order in advance during only certain months/once a month.

I can't help you out (surprisingly given how much bread I bake). I've given up worrying about volume measuring. If you don't have a good scale, get one! Your bread baking will be more consistent than you could possibly imagine! Some of the new digital scales are very, very reasonable. I have an "analog" one that I love.