Menu

what would you do with this???

I had a book posted for sale on the Homeschool classifieds and this is the emails sent back and forth between a young man and myself...start at the bottom...sorry about that...but what should I do with this???

What i mean is this my Daddy will send you the payment but he will add more money to it because i wanted to pay for my apartment here because he live in another state and i need the books and also i need some money for Xmas and due to my age if he send me the check i can not cash it .

So try and understand me better and clear because the payment will get to your doorstep soon.

--- On Tue, 11/30/10, KFeusse@aol.com <KFeusse@aol.com> wrote:

<KFeusse@aol.com>

Subject: Re: Children Just Like Me, Grs. K-8 -- $10 ppd.

To:

Received: Tuesday, November 30, 2010, 7:34 PM

I am not sure I understand...he will send me payment for the book and for you...and i am to send you the book with the rest of the money?? I don't understand exactly...is that right??

Kathy

In a message dated 11/30/2010 1:32:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

I have call my Daddy today and he told me that he will get the payment sent to you this week, but my Daddy told me that he will make the payment overpayment to you because i told him that i wanted to pay for my rent and i needed some money for Xmas.

So try and understand me better because i need to tell you this before the payment get to you,because my Daddy told me that the payment will get to you this week.

Thanks for the understanding also i will like you to get back to me as soon as you read my mail so that i can know that you agree with me.

--- On
Mon, 11/29/10,
<KFeusse@aol.com>
wrote:

<KFeusse@aol.com>

To:

Received: Monday, November 29, 2010, 9:02 PM

that is fine. My address is:

Kathy F

at some some street

in some town..

When I get the payment I will send out your book. In the meantime, why don't you give me your full name and address and I will have it all packaged up.

Kathy

In a message dated 11/29/2010 1:29:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

Thanks for your response to my mail, but i did not have account with PayPal' so let me make the payment to you via Money Order or Cashier Check.

If you agree with my mode of payment kindly send me your full name and address including your phone number.

I await your response.

--- On
Mon, 11/29/10,
<KFeusse@aol.com>
wrote:

<KFeusse@aol.com>

To:

Received: Monday, November 29, 2010, 6:56 PM

yes it is. I accept personal paypal at

thanks!

Kathy

In a message dated 11/29/2010 12:54:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

Good day,

I am Mike 16 years old and in the college of Central Texas College,I want to know if the book posted is still available for sale???
Edited by NEprairemom

SCAM! Run away.

:iagree::iagree:

"What on earth is "The College of Central Texas College"? :001_huh:

Yeah, 16 year olds in college often try really hard to sound like little kids. Oh, and their parents have no idea how to send them money. :001_rolleyes:

The way the scam works is that you deposit the check, money order, whatever. Let's say it's for $500 and the book is $25. You then send the overpayment of $475 to the scammer. Some days later, you find out that the money order, etc. was fake and did not clear; your money however, was good. Scammer is $475 richer. You are $500 poorer.

Aside from the weirdness of the whole thing, I have rarely received an email scam that did not have odd-sounding English and misspelling in it. It's a mark of a foreign person who doesn't speak/write English as a first language. The grammar kind of reverts to the grammar of their first language.

I'd keep a record in case a check arrived. I'd then call the non-emergency police number and ask for guidance. I believe this may be bank and mail fraud.

would there be any reason at all to keep the emails...nothing transpired except he has my address....I am a little nervous about that....

Same thing happened to us on Craigslist. Giant scam. They were using stolen checks.

They wanted to send us a check for $2000 to pay for a $200 couch and an individual was coming to pick up the couch and ship it to them. Because there aren't any used couches up north, right? We called the company the check was from and they had a bunch stolen. The police came and picked it up. We never heard anymore.

Edited by TXMomof4

It's a scam. Worded a little different than the one I got, but the same thing basically.

If the check does actually show up, DON'T CASH IT!

Call your postal inspector. It is mail fraud because they sent it via mail. Our post office had a specific postal inspector just for these mail fruad cases. I sent him the check and copies of the emails. I doubt there is anything they can do, but they seem to want to keep them on file.

My was post marked from Dublin, Ireland, so it's not sent from the US.

I did however call the bank it was written on. It was a real bank and I told the woman what the situation was and she agreed it was a forged/stolen check and took the account number so they could notify the actual account holder.

So you may want to do that, just in case it helps save some poor guy who's checking account is getting ripped off.

Is this seriously the first time you've seen this? I've recieved hundreds of emails like this for anything and everthing I've ever posted for sale on the internet. This is a common, classic scam. Just delete it.

While I agree that it's a scam (read something similiar posted here once), I've never received anything in my e-mail like this before.