Menu

The "right" way to do Christmas :)

I am seriously in shock. I can not even imagine taking a shower BEFORE opening presents! My kids would mutinee! And honestly, it never even occured to us to try to be presentable for pictures or anything. (And there are some doosies.) We are usually done with presents by 6 or 7 am. My kids have always just gone nuts as soon as they woke up and saw that Santa's been there. They start screaming and jumping on the bed. Dad had no choice but to get up and stagger his way to his recliner. And it hasn't changed. Now, the grown-up kids all spend the night and they STILL go nuts at 5:00 am, even though they usually know what they are getting!

Shower, dress and breakfast BEFORE presents? Unimaginable!!! :lol::D

:iagree::iagree:

And, RE: those pictures, I let the kids open a present with PJ's in it on Christmas Eve so they are at least wearing clean PJ's in those pictures!

LOL This would be a cute essay for college. ;)

Really?

I thought Christmas was all about staying up all night to put together a last minute toy that was completely forgotten about, arguing over who would eat Santa's Christmas cookies ("It's mine!" "No, it's mine"), arguing over who would eat Rudolph's carrot ("You eat it!" "No, you eat it"), and then going to bed like nothing happened.

:lol::lol::lol:

I guess my family was a bit dysfunctional when it came to Christmas time.

Well, I've gotta say, she's got things *almost* right. EVERYONE KNOWS that what goes in the toe of the stocking is an ORANGE. Duh. How could she get that one wrong?! A clementine will do if there are no oranges. But there must be a citrus fruit in the toe of the stocking. That's how you know you've reached the end.

LOL This is too cute. You must be from the Northeast.

I am seriously in shock. I can not even imagine taking a shower BEFORE opening presents! My kids would mutinee! And honestly, it never even occured to us to try to be presentable for pictures or anything. (And there are some doosies.) We are usually done with presents by 6 or 7 am. My kids have always just gone nuts as soon as they woke up and saw that Santa's been there. They start screaming and jumping on the bed. Dad had no choice but to get up and stagger his way to his recliner. And it hasn't changed. Now, the grown-up kids all spend the night and they STILL go nuts at 5:00 am, even though they usually know what they are getting!

Shower, dress and breakfast BEFORE presents? Unimaginable!!! :lol::D

Believe me, I agree with you! But we have to wait for Nana to come over to open gifts. It's a long MIL story, but it is a small price to pay to keep the peace. The stockings usually have enough of the good stuff to keep everyone occupied till she gets here.

Oh, and when I say "everyone", I mean Bud and me. I can barely get the kids to shower on a regular day, much less Christmas morning! :lol:

:iagree::iagree:

And, RE: those pictures, I let the kids open a present with PJ's in it on Christmas Eve so they are at least wearing clean PJ's in those pictures!

I actually had my kids put on Christmas pajamas the day AFTER Christmas last year so I could get a good shot of the three of them with their stuff. In all the frenzy, I forgot to get a group shot on Christmas morning!:lol:

Yes, there is always an orange the stocking (my kids get chocolate oranges), but the gift in the toe of the stocking is money. When I was a child, it was a silver dollar or two Kennedy halves. My children receive shiny new dollar coins. You need nuts, I do snack-sized bags of the child's favorites, my mother always threw a handful of nuts in the shell into the stockings. You also need a popcorn ball or Cracker Jacks. A few more edible treats,some toys or gadgets, and one special gift round out the stocking. No wrapping necessary.

I love filling stockings.

YES!!! Silver dollars and Cracker Jacks and nuts and an orange or tangerine!!! And a small toy or two but they were never the big deal.

We don't do stockings for our children because my mother wanted to do them for all the grandchildren at her house in the afternoon when we all got together for Christmas dinner (Christmas morning in your own home, Christmas afternoon at Nana's is the *right* way to do it!!)

But things change and we haven't had stockings the past few years, since my parents moved in with my sister and no-one is sure what is *right* anymore.

I miss the stockings...I wonder if my husband will go with me secretly getting them ready for the kids this year? He will be grumpy because it will be an extra expense but....I need to think about this!