Menu

A nutrition book for kids?

I'm looking for a book geared toward kids/preteens that encourages them to make healthy eating choices. Is there such a book? I looked at reviews of Eat This, Not That, but I'm thinking it's too focused on weight loss. Is that correct? I have one child who is an avid reader and a food lover. Reading a book on nutrition might help her and help me guide her toward healthy eating habits. Any recs? Thanks!

There is a LOT of information available for free from the USDA. I have a close friend that gets wonderful health information from them every school year, which can all be obtained by hs families as well as schools. Here is a link to their portal with several choices to begin with. Once you get hooked up to them, more is available.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I love the book Food Rules and just saw this geared for older kids and teens. I don't know how good it is. I may get it for my own dc.

41mTo-sCtDL.jpg

I like Michael Pollan and Food, Inc. a lot. I love the depth, insight, and practicality.

My dd has the American Girl book and some of the advice, with all due respect, is pure rubbish. One example: Drink milk? :confused: Nowadays, the less milk, the better. It make one acidic. Milk and white sugar are the top 2 acne culprits. Every time my dc drink milk, they break out.

However, I don't see my dc reading this book for fun. If I do get it, we'll study it in school.

Amazon also has this book about Fast Food, if fast food is the problem. It's written for grades 7 and up.

Peela, first of all, I've missed you. :grouphug:

Secondly, yes, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, write one! :D You are my hero and I crave your advice.

Oh, thanks Negin :) :blush:

Mmm, it keeps coming up as an idea...and now that I am not going to be homeschooling, it could be a good project....

Mmm, it keeps coming up as an idea...and now that I am not going to be homeschooling, it could be a good project....

Do it, do it, do it! :D

Peela, now that you will no longer be homeschooling, I hope that you won't leave these boards. :grouphug: Please, please stay!

Do you have a blog? Or are you on FB? I will miss you if you leave and I (and many others) hope that you won't.

Do it, do it, do it! :D

Peela, now that you will no longer be homeschooling, I hope that you won't leave these boards. :grouphug: Please, please stay!

Do you have a blog? Or are you on FB? I will miss you if you leave and I (and many others) hope that you won't.

Oh, that is so sweet, thankyou.

I am sure I will hang around. These boards are so unique!

I'm looking for a book geared toward kids/preteens that encourages them to make healthy eating choices. Is there such a book? I looked at reviews of Eat This, Not That, but I'm thinking it's too focused on weight loss. Is that correct? I have one child who is an avid reader and a food lover. Reading a book on nutrition might help her and help me guide her toward healthy eating habits. Any recs? Thanks!

Usborne has at least one - Why Shouldn't I Eat Junk Food. I think there might be another one or two in that series.

I love the book Food Rules and just saw this geared for older kids and teens. I don't know how good it is. I may get it for my own dc.

41mTo-sCtDL.jpg

I like Michael Pollan and Food, Inc. a lot. I love the depth, insight, and practicality.

My dd has the American Girl book and some of the advice, with all due respect, is pure rubbish. One example: Drink milk? :confused: Nowadays, the less milk, the better. It make one acidic. Milk and white sugar are the top 2 acne culprits. Every time my dc drink milk, they break out.

However, I don't see my dc reading this book for fun. If I do get it, we'll study it in school.

Amazon also has this book about Fast Food, if fast food is the problem. It's written for grades 7 and up.

I love, love, love this book. I read it myself over the summer and I'm having my 8th grader read it as a part of his Human Health & Biology course. It's not dry at all and very informative. I wish he had a teen version of "In Defense of Food."

I love' date=' love, love this book. I read it myself over the summer and I'm having my 8th grader read it as a part of his Human Health & Biology course. It's not dry at all and very informative. I wish he had a teen version of "In Defense of Food."[/quote']

That's great to know. Thank you. :) Will add it to my wish list.

I may also have us read "Food Rules" - which is the only book we have by him at the moment.