Menu

PE debate in UK schools

pqr

There's a divide between state and private schools. The boys' school - which is not considered sport-oriented and which has half the pupils choosing to study a musical instrument as an extra-curricular activity - maintains a decent amount of sport in the school timetable. Hobbes does PE (indoors), games (outdoors) or swimming four days a week. Calvin has three days of exercise as his timetable is more full. They each play rugby, football, hockey and cricket. The school has teams that play against other schools, but membership of those teams is not compulsory.

FWIW I hated PE at school for all the reasons mentioned in the article, but when we were sixteen we were allowed to choose what kind of sport we played. My best friend - equally unenthusiastic about sport - and I used to go to the school squash courts and play. We were no good at it but enjoyed it and got good exercise. This experience persuaded me that I could enjoy exercise; I have continued to exercise haphazardly but regularly all my life.

Laura

Here in Australia the whole country is very sports oriented. The kids do not only PE, but Sport as well. It is considered a core subject . When I enrolled my kids to homeschool, the application form listed all the key learning areas that I have to cover, sport was in capital letters, all the rest were in lower case.

the sport done in both primary and high school seems to not only be about fitness, but screening for future sports people, with even the smallest school encouraged to send students to inter school events, where the winners are sent to big city sports events to find the state champions etc.

Edited by melissaL

I love the idea of having Rugby and Football as school sports.

Being a competitive athlete is an "ideal" for young men and young women in my way of thinking. I do think there needs to be reasonable accommodation of those who (for whatever reason) are not up to competition, and that other means to achieve physical fitness be sought. But being physically competitive would be (is) my ideal.

In the mean-time Rugby, Football, and Cricket will be "extra-curriculars" for my son.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car