Menu

What type of vacuum do I need for a house with mostly

Honestly, I use a shop vac in my house. I have vinyl floors and a wood stove and pets, messy kids and grandkids. I can't tell you how many vacuums I killed. Now I pick up wood pieces, leaves, mud, legos, crayons, socks, you name it. It does a great job on the vinyl but not on the rug in my bedroom.

Honestly, I use a shop vac in my house. I have vinyl floors and a wood stove and pets, messy kids and grandkids. I can't tell you how many vacuums I killed. Now I pick up wood pieces, leaves, mud, legos, crayons, socks, you name it. It does a great job on the vinyl but not on the rug in my bedroom.

Did you mention this a few weeks ago in another thread? I think I read it and it did catch my attention! I do have a really cheap upright that does an ok job on the rug...I will have to try the shop vac. That may do the trick. Thanks!

I love this floor vacuum. I've had it 6 months and it does a wonder on my tile floors. I have 4 cats & a dog. The only downside that I've found is that the cord isn't as long as I'd like so I have to change outlets a few times. It vacuums a bit differently, but it is easy to adjust to.

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Bare-Floor-Brushless-Technology-76T8/dp/B001DEXAA4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1290044951&sr=8-17

I love this floor vacuum. I've had it 6 months and it does a wonder on my tile floors. I have 4 cats & a dog. The only downside that I've found is that the cord isn't as long as I'd like so I have to change outlets a few times. It vacuums a bit differently, but it is easy to adjust to.

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Bare-Floor-Brushless-Technology-76T8/dp/B001DEXAA4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1290044951&sr=8-17

I've never seen this one and it looks great! I think the shop-vac idea is great, but I don't want to lug the thing around! I can get an extension cord and be good to go with this one. Off to read more about it...Thanks!

:iagree: I have that one too, and 3 dogs and 2 cats.

I use a Roomba for pets. It works quite well, much better than the regular one I used to have. They also have a shop vac version now. I like being able to set it to vacuum while I do the rest of my cleaning.

I have coveted a Roomba for awhile, but my concern is that it won't get in all the areas (corners, around furniture) that I will end up having to vacuum again anyway. What do you think?

We have had good luck with Hoover Wind Tunnels. We have three dogs and one is extremely hairy and sheds enough to assemble a pomeranian a day ...and our ground floor is a large expanse of tile and hardwood.

I'll check it out. I assumed that it would perform like other uprights I have had that didn't do the job for me. I had a Dyson and I hated it! It's good to know that it does work for you! Thanks!

My Miele is amazing. We used to use the shop vac, but honestly it spews clouds of dirt all over the place if you watch carefully. I was hesitate about get a vacuum with bags but believe it or not they last a really long time even with 3 animals. We love it.

The Miele looks amazing- but it is out of my price range right now. I will keep an eye out for one on my favorite bargain-hunter site...craigslist:D. Thank you!

I have had a love hate relationship with vacuums. I have never really liked one we had until our Shark Navigator. It is awesome! It was pretty cheap at Costco also - compared to what I had been spending. The only bad thing is that the cord clip broke off very early on and so we have cord issues. But, it cleans and sucks sooo well and is great on my tile especially!

I have had a love hate relationship with vacuums. I have never really liked one we had until our Shark Navigator. It is awesome! It was pretty cheap at Costco also - compared to what I had been spending. The only bad thing is that the cord clip broke off very early on and so we have cord issues. But, it cleans and sucks sooo well and is great on my tile especially!

I saw an infommercial on this one and I must say I was drawn in. So it doesn't blow particles and pet hair around on your hard surfaces? I share your love/hate relationship with vacuums. For the last 2 years I have purchased the cheapest ones that Home Depot offered. I think they both were under $30.00.

Thanks for the recommendation- I will check it out!

I'll check it out. I assumed that it would perform like other uprights I have had that didn't do the job for me. I had a Dyson and I hated it! It's good to know that it does work for you! Thanks!

On the hard floor setting the brush doesn't rotate. This keeps the brush from blowing hair away as you approach it on a hard floor, and it also keeps from ending up with hair wound around the brush. Even when I vacuum the carpet, I leave the brush off for the first pass so no loose hair winds around the brush.