Menu

before we begin...

persephone43

I have been mostly lurking for awhile and picking up on wonderful tidbits of information (so thankful for you all!) and in the process I have gathered much material to look through and read. So I have made a list of a few books that I would like to read before starting with my son in January, based on suggestions here.

"How to Tutor" -Blumenfeld

"The Seven Laws of Teaching" -John Milton Gregory

"Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics" -Liping Ma

And I have already read "TWTM", "TWEM" and "Teaching the Trivium". Any other suggestions for must reads?

TIA :)

I have been mostly lurking for awhile and picking up on wonderful tidbits of information (so thankful for you all!) and in the process I have gathered much material to look through and read. So I have made a list of a few books that I would like to read before starting with my son in January, based on suggestions here.

And I have already read "TWTM", "TWEM" and "Teaching the Trivium". Any other suggestions for must reads?

"A Charlotte Mason Companion" by Karen Andreola

Welcome :)

(Fellow long-time lurker, not-so diligent poster here):001_smile::001_smile:

I don't have any books to add right off the top of my head to those already listed but if I had any advice after now six years of homeschooling, it would be this:

Don't just read a book like the Well-Trained Mind once. Make a decision to pick it up a couple times throughout your homeschooling year and read through your relevant stage (Grammar, etc.). I can't tell you how many times during these past years I have come up against something, struggled with it or searched around and around - and then later, picked up TWTM and discovered that it had just what I was looking for and I'd just forgotten it. I could have saved myself a lot of time and dead-ends if I'd just followed this advice early on.

Good luck on your new journey!

Don't just read a book like the Well-Trained Mind once. Make a decision to pick it up a couple times throughout your homeschooling year and read through your relevant stage (Grammar, etc.). I can't tell you how many times during these past years I have come up against something, struggled with it or searched around and around - and then later, picked up TWTM and discovered that it had just what I was looking for and I'd just forgotten it. I could have saved myself a lot of time and dead-ends if I'd just followed this advice early on.

:iagree:

Also, I'm a fellow lurker/infrequent poster in my second year hsing. I read this book last year and really enjoyed it: http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Familys-Journey-Martine-Millman/dp/158542661X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289872352&sr=8-1

It's more of an unschooling approach. While I'm not an unschooler, I am always trying to think more broad-mindedly about what it means to "educate" my children. I enjoyed reading about the Millman family's approach to learning and about their reasons for homeschooling. I also like to glean bits of wisdom from "Home Education" magazine. My library carries it so I read it from time to time.

The Ultimate to Homeschooling by Debra Bell