Menu

Need advice re. robotics kit

I also do not have any advice on those robotics kits. But, I would also second the Lego MIndstorms robotics kits. My children are also involved in the FLL (First Lego League), and it is a fantastic organization.

If you got a Lego Mindstorms kit, then all that knowledge would transfer over to FLL if they ever decided to participate.

:lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

I'm not familiar with either of the kits you're considering, but hope others will chime in with some reviews, as I'm always looking for new robotics kits for ds10.

We already have Mindstorms, and ds is bored with it. The kits you mentioned look like they might be more fun.

Cat

:lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

I'm not familiar with either of the kits you're considering, but hope others will chime in with some reviews, as I'm always looking for new robotics kits for ds10.

We already have Mindstorms, and ds is bored with it. The kits you mentioned look like they might be more fun.

Cat

Pico Crickets are a fun robotics type kit. My kids enjoyed them. http://www.picocricket.com/ Not totally robotics, so this may not be what you're looking for.

For Mindstorm, if your son is bored with the kit, has he checked One Kit Wonders by Jim Kelley? It is a fantastic book that has 10 different robot designs using only one NXT kit (M&M sorter, grabberbot, etc.) Also there are some cool designs on-line - scorpionbot is one of our favorites. He also may be interested in FLL. That could challenge him and put his NXT knowledge to work in a fun way. Or, if you're really brave, FRC has some sort of grant to pay for half a kit if you start one team. The kits are usually $800. With the grant, it's only $400. They are amazing.

We have done dozens of kits here and have NXT.

What ages are you buying for? The first kit doesn't look too sturdy to me. The second kit is fairly limited in what you can do with it, I generally don't recommend this brand.

The LEGO Mindstorm NXT is a great option, like others have mentioned. Here is a site many people don't know about - you can look around and get various add-on kits, etc. But, if the child isn't old enough for NXT (which involves both building programming), or is just getting started w/robotics & you're not sure if it's going to take off, there are some great options for building kits out there. If you let me know what age you are looking for, I can probably make some recommendations.

Edited by TechWife

So, is NXT the best? This is for my son and husband to do together. DH is expert in all things technological, but I am not at all....thus my question for what to buy them. I have heard good things about Fischertechnik. Do you find Lego to be superior? As I said, I am totally clueless beyond knowing that my son is quite adept at such things like DH, and I would like to find him something challenging. They both love robotics. Son works on a sixth/seventh grade level ability-wise if that helps with ideas.

Thanks so much!

Here is a site many people don't know about - you can look around and get various add-on kits, etc. But, if the child isn't old enough for NXT (which involves both building programming), or is just getting started w/robotics & you're not sure if it's going to take off, there are some great options for building kits out there. If you let me know what age you are looking for, I can probably make some recommendations.

WHere is the site many don't know about?

Yes, LEGO is far superior to fishertechnik. Much more versatility. If you husband is helping, then I'd say go for the LEGO Mindstorm. The difficulty might come when he wants to work on it by himself if he's young. It is easy to get frustrated when you don't understand something. There are several books out that help you build. The Mayan Adventure is a fun one - it's a story with robot challenges to complete in order to work your way through it.

The LEGO NXT is used in middle schools, high schools and universities around the world to teach robotics, programming and physics. It is a great product. I can give you some tips on what set to buy and what you might want to work towards adding on.

Yes, LEGO is far superior to fishertechnik. Much more versatility. If you husband is helping, then I'd say go for the LEGO Mindstorm. The difficulty might come when he wants to work on it by himself if he's young. It is easy to get frustrated when you don't understand something. There are several books out that help you build. The Mayan Adventure is a fun one - it's a story with robot challenges to complete in order to work your way through it.

The LEGO NXT is used in middle schools, high schools and universities around the world to teach robotics, programming and physics. It is a great product. I can give you some tips on what set to buy and what you might want to work towards adding on.

That would be great! I was just looking at the Lego site and getting overwhelmed with all the add ons. I will purchase that book too.

I recommend that you buy this first:

LEGO Mindstorms Education NXT Homeschool Pack

Buying this is a better overall value than buying this retail LEGO NXT kit. The education kit contains a rechargeable battery (not in the retail kit), a different combination of sensors and some really cool technic parts. The education software is better than the retail software because it has great tutorials on it as well as some analytical features. The tutorials on the education software start at the very beginning and ramp up. Not to mention the handy box with the divided tray (very cool to have around).

Buying the LEGO Education Resource Kit would be your next purchase. This kit has tons of parts that will enable your dh to build more intricate robots. I mean your dh and ds:lol::lol:.

They also have this kit now, which I have never seen before. It looks like a lower budget alternative to the above. Don't let the nifty mat be the defining item for your decision, though. You can accomplish the same thing with butcher paper and a sharpie.

Good books:

The Mayan Adventure (I mentioned this one earlier)

Building Robots with LEGO Mindstorms NXT

When you ds reaches middle and high school, look at these courses for an elective credit:

Engineering I: Introduction to Mobile Robotics

Engineering II: Guided Research

FWIW, I tried to do the Engineering I course w/my ds when he was in 5th grade and he was really too young - he needed a lot of hand holding to get through it.

For FIRST LEGO League information, check here.

This is probably more than enough to break the bank. I mean get you started:leaving::leaving:

Edited by TechWife
to correct links