Menu

What do you wear to the gym?

cin

Dh and I have decided to join a gym. I'm not a fashionista by any any means, but I'm wondering what would be most comfortable to workout in. It's been about 10 years since I have spent anytime there. And at that time it was bike shorts and tank tops. Can you even buy those now?

I just started working out at a gym six weeks ago. I love it! I wear yoga pants or capris with athletic shoes (and socks) and one of these t-shirts. They're very comfy; I bought about four different colors! I bought some sports bras at Costco.

Almost everyone I see at the gym is wearing something similar: yoga pants (women) or long gym shorts or sweats (men) with a t-shirt and athletic shoes. Some women (especially in yoga class) wear a tank top with a built-in sports bra, but those don't seem to fit me well.

Wendi

I usually wear workout pants and a tank top now that it's getting cooler. In the warmer months I wear tennis skirts and tank tops. On the day's that it's colder I just wear a jacket over my tank top that I can take off at the gym. I do like not wearing sleeves so that I can see my arms when working out with weights.

Target has some ok athletic clothes.:)

Pretty much the same as what other people are saying: I have these knee-length yoga pants that I just love, and a simple tee shirt. Yoga pants are great because they're not tight, but they're not baggy either. Very comfortable, and give you lots of freedom of movement.

I'm a group exercise instructor. When I'm teaching, I wear "city length" yoga shorts (bought them at Target), tee shirt or tank (with the company logo of course), supportive bra. Good shoes appropriate for aerobic (I use cross trainers not Ryka b/c Ryka doesn't make my size).

As winter approaches, I'll go with capri length workout pants (probably from target again).

My customers tend to wear yoga pants, or longer bike shorts. They wear either workout tanks (look like the stuff that walmart and target across the street carry) or loose fitting Tee shirts. It's all about having fun and being comfy, so we're really relaxed about what customers wear. Corporate offices give instructors guidelines. but that's different.

Dress comfortably the first day. Look around and see what others are wearing. Don't worry about it. Just go for comfort and make sure it isn't so loose fitting it gets caught in the machines you use. Good shoes.

water bottle. Make sure you stay hydrated. take your water bottle.

and congrats!

-crystal

The last gym I belonged to was female-only so I felt comfortable wearing attire that is more revealing than what I would wear to a co-ed gym. I was nursing at the time, so I would layer a fitness tank with a built-in shelf bra over a sports bra for additional support. I would pair that with top-of-the-knee bike shorts. Like one of the PP mentioned, I found wearing a sleeveless top helped me watch my form on upper-body exercises.

Umm, yeah. That's the main reason I don't go to a gym (that and the cost, hassle of getting there, etc.)

I do Tae-Bo, the Firm and other exercise videos in my basement, before breakfast, in my PJs (well, OK, not now at 9 mos. pregnant, but usually...)

For anyone considering that option, here is a great resource:

http://www.collagevideo.com/main.aspx?source=google&prioritycode=RP53&gclid=CK388dGvm6UCFRZ-5Qod21VHJQ