Menu

Help me work backwards from this math goal

Annabel Lee

If I have a goal of Algebra 1 in 8th grade, then that means Pre-Alg. in 7th, and ??? in 6th... Would we need to be a full year ahead in any given math program to achieve this, or are there programs from which a bright math student can adequately jump straight into Pre-Alg. right after 6th grade math? If you're doing this too, (or especially if you have done it), please list the program(s) that are beefy enough in 5th & 6th to prepare for Pre-Alg, and the Pre-Alg & Alg that are "receptive" to young learners who haven't had 2 years of extra prep-time (the 7th grade math and, in some cases, 8th grade math we'd be skipping).

Thanks a bunch!

We used CLE math 5-7 and would consider CLE math 7 pre-algebra. You can then go straight to Saxon algebra 1 from CLE math 7 if your dc has mastered CLE math 7.

If you chose the right math program, it's easy to do pre-alg. in grade 7 and algebra in grade 8. Look at any math program's grade 7 math to is see if it covers all the basics plus beginning algebra. I believe BJU, Saxon, and some others do this as well as CLE.

You would be surprised how much review is in math for 6-8th grades. If your dc is advanced, TT book's Pre-Algebra (8th grade book) would be good for 6th grade. It is half a year of review and then half a year of very simple Pre-Algebra. I would use a harder Pre-Algebra for 8th. I have heard that BJU Pre-Algebra is pretty rigorous.

I think using TT Pre-Algebra for 6th would be a good jumping point.

Guest TheBugsMom

I would not skip a year but move through 2 years of math in a single year to get him into Algebra in 8th. You could just teach from the tests. Have your child take test one in a curriculum, if he passes with a 100% move to test two. Only stop and teach when he does not get all correct, even if it was a simple math mistake, make him do some of the problems in the text for that chapter, then retake the test. This way you are assured he knows the material presented in that grade math curriculum and catch any new material the curriculum introduces.

Guest TheBugsMom
. I would use a harder Pre-Algebra for 8th. I have heard that BJU Pre-Algebra is pretty rigorous.

We are using this and it is the word problems that we are finding to be very rigorous and there are many of these. Also the Dominion in MAth exercises are designed to get you thinking math logically in real life examples.

Really about 5th to 8th grade math is all very similar. Using the 4 basic operations then going a tiny bit farther and really getting fractions, decimals, and percents down. There isn't any thing new and special about "pre-algebra," sure their might be a little simple algebraic reasoning, but many programs have been building that up since very early.

The only reason things keep repeating is that many kids aren't ready for Algebra in 6th grade, or 7th grade, or even 8th.

What math are you using now?

Unless the student is already a grade ahead in math, I wouldn't even bother with this. I would just do math, every single day, continuing in whatever good curriculum you already have (which presumably is working). If you work every day, year round, you'll automatically end up ahead, without jumping or stress. Personally I think it's more important to have a well-rounded student than an advanced one. If you think your dc is extra-capable, I would start them on Zaccaro's books, Math Counts, Math Olympiad, etc. You can buy the books and do them with them, a bit each day. If you're using the BJU math, they have an extra-challenging workbook to go with the regular lessons. Our Dolciani has "c" level problems that take a bit more thinking. If you read on the high school boards, you'll see several people saying kids who do alg. 1 in 7th often need to repeat it in 8th. That whole thought process is something you can't rush. They can do it early and simply, but that doesn't mean they'll do it at a deeper level, with more thought. Your dc might like to do a more straightforward book for algebra 1 and then repeat it with the online classes that are more challenging from Art of Problem Solving. He might enjoy the EGPY math (which we have not done). At AoPS's website there's a really good article on the rush to calculus.

A child who has done well in K-7 math with a decent program doesn't need pre-algebra. Also, prealgebra generally contains a complete review of 7th grade math, so if you were really worried about pre-algebra, you could skip 7th and do pre-algebra then. As pp said, 6-8 math is repetitive. It's a holding pattern for students who aren't ready for algebra yet in their maturity level.

Mine have all used many things for math, as I don't really follow one program for K-6. My oldest went from BJU 7th into Foerster's and did well. My second dd did Saxon Algebra 1/2 last year (not my choice... ugh!) as a 6th/7th grader, and she is in Algebra this year and sailing through.

Really about 5th to 8th grade math is all very similar. Using the 4 basic operations then going a tiny bit farther and really getting fractions, decimals, and percents down. There isn't any thing new and special about "pre-algebra," sure their might be a little simple algebraic reasoning, but many programs have been building that up since very early.

The only reason things keep repeating is that many kids aren't ready for Algebra in 6th grade, or 7th grade, or even 8th.

What math are you using now?

I agree that "7th grade math" & "8th grade math" programs with a scope/sequence progression that leads to Pre-Alg in 9th are usually holding patterns for kids who aren't ready. To answer your question, right now Abe is doing Horizons 4, at grade level. He's capable, and all the review is too easy since he just switched from Abeka not long ago. He needs some practice and needs to stay at this level for the new concepts. Sometimes I introduce concepts or give him practice probems from Abeka and Singapore, but he doesn't know that ;) b/c I prepare them on the whiteboard. He sees an Abeka paper, gets a mental block, and shuts down.

I'm going to try my 1st attempt at multi-quoting, so this post could turn out with some "creative" formatting.

Unless the student is already a grade ahead in math, I wouldn't even bother with this. I would just do math, every single day, continuing in whatever good curriculum you already have (which presumably is working). If you work every day, year round, you'll automatically end up ahead, without jumping or stress. Personally I think it's more important to have a well-rounded student than an advanced one.

That's all I plan to do for now, through elementary. I wouldn't stress over it, and I agree on the importance of a student who understands things thoroughly vs. being pushed through just because they can.

If you think your dc is extra-capable, I would start them on Zaccaro's books, Math Counts, Math Olympiad, etc. You can buy the books and do them with them, a bit each day. If you're using the BJU math, they have an extra-challenging workbook to go with the regular lessons. Our Dolciani has "c" level problems that take a bit more thinking.

Abe is bright and I could probably push him into the next level a few months faster, but it would cause huge problems because of his emotional readiness. He's not ready for that right now - so I wouldn't say he's "extra-capable".

If you read on the high school boards, you'll see several people saying kids who do alg. 1 in 7th often need to repeat it in 8th. That whole thought process is something you can't rush. They can do it early and simply, but that doesn't mean they'll do it at a deeper level, with more thought.

I'm hoping he'll be ready for Alg 1 in 8th, not 7th. If he's really not when we get there, then I'll have to meet him where he's at and teach from there. But, he is bright and able enough that I think he could. I'd like for his 6th gr. math to prepare him for Pre-Alg or a Pre-Alg equivalent for 7th, so that he could move on to Alg 1 in 8th. My daughter did Alg 1 in 8th and tested out at the end of the year, but chose to re-do Alg 1 in greater depth this year for 9th to solidify before moving on. I'm not opposed to that.

I really appreciate your thoughtful response and have jotted down some notes. Thanks, Elizabeth!

You can jump directly from Singapore 6A/6B to algebra.

programs that I like

(haven't used) Kinetic Books pre-algebra

Kinetic Books Algebra or Jacobs Algebra

Jacobs Geometry or (haven't used) Kinetic Books Geometry

Kinetic Books Algebra II

I would love to have my youngest in Kinetic Books pre-algebra right now, but she didn't want a computer-based program, so I went with MUS for her. It's a pretty light program, but it meets the criteria she had: black print on white paper, little or no color, plenty of white space, systematic review, and no computer component.

I agree that "7th grade math" & "8th grade math" programs with a scope/sequence progression that leads to Pre-Alg in 9th are usually holding patterns for kids who aren't ready.

Since this is the case, I don't think it matters when you move up to a pre algebra class, or if you just go into algebra.

My sister went from public school for K to part of 5th, no math for rest of 5th and 6th (living with dad and doing no school), public schooled 7th grade math, then LOF Fractions, Decimal + Percents and Beg. Alg. for 8th/9th (all in one year). This year, 10th grade, she is doing LOF Adv. Alg, with tests from the "Chalkdust" Larson text and doing fine.

I just don't really think it matters what you do for 5th or 6th or 7th- if you have a kid who is ready for Algebra by 8th then you can start it, if you don't then you'll just do some more pre algebra.