Menu

meal ideas if you're providing meals to a family w/ the mom going through chemo?

What are some meal ideas for providing dinner to a family where the mom is going through chemo? It probably needs to be something that can go in the fridge & be reheated later. Lasagna seems like a good choice, but I wonder how many pasta meals folks end up with, ya know?

Also, if you have been on the receiving end of getting meals like this, were there things you got that you really enjoyed or appreciated? Anything you got too much of or not enough of?

What about including things like a soup or salad to go along, or a dessert w/ some coffee/tea packs? How about some flowers or a small tealight holder w/ a candle & matches? Paper plates/plastic utensils/napkins -- good idea for making it an easy clean up too, or is that not really necessary?

Thanks!

As someone who just received a meal today before I go in for surgery tomorrow, we received a bowl of pulled pork, a bottle of bbq sauce, some buns, fresh fruit, 3 bean salad, and deviled eggs, and a carton of apple cider. It was AMAZING and it will be very easy to reheat some pork with the sauce mixed onto it for sandwiches for my DH while I am in the hospital for a few more days.

Last year this same person brought us swiss steak, corn, muffins, and again fresh fruit. All was easy enought to reheat when needed.

Dawn

Here are my stand-by meals that I bring to others. They are generally easy to reheat, or can be brought over in a crockpot.

Chili, rice & cornbread.

Black bean chicken chili

Chicken Escallop casserole, bag of salad

Bowl of taco meat, tortillas, and all the needed toppings

BBQ pork, buns, slaw, beans

Chicken pot pie

Baked ziti, italian bread and salad

I have a friend who went through a period where she really could have used some more help with meals but didn't want to ask. The reason - everyone kept bringing her pasta/spaghetti sauce type meals. Her family had just had enough. I made her a chicken pot pie and her family thought it was terrific.

I like the pulled pork idea. My family would love that. When I was sick a couple of weeks ago someone made us home made macaroni and cheese. The kids thought it was devine because I never make it from scratch. Might be a good choice if the family has little kids.

I also always try and give a complete meal with salads, dessert, etc.

Is there someone coordinating meals for the family? Are you close enough that you can just call up the mom and ask her if there is anything she is craving? Or that the family can't eat?

My sister went through chemo this summer for leukemia. It made her anemic and between rounds she just craved red meat. She loved it when someone brought them fajitas. Her dh does not like beans--that would not have been a great meal. She had no problem just telling people what they would like or couldn't eat. Flowers would have been a big no-no. She could not be around them when her blood counts were down.

Chemo is different for different cancers. People react differently too. If you can call either the recipient or someone close to them who has the scoop, you can provide just what they need and your meal will be a huge blessing to them. Thanks for reaching out and caring.

My neighbor is undergoing chemo and they have had a lot of meals. Are there are lot of other people bringing meals? Then you probably don't want to have leftovers, if not, then make something that you can have leftovers.

It is helpful to know if there are any food aversions or desires. Chemo affects people differently, and also can cause some other issues concerning taste and digestion.

Otherwise, bringing a whole meal is nice. It will feel special but at also "normal". Once when we brought a meal, and I had talked to the husband ahead of time so I knew, I included some wine (in a canning jar-- classy!) He told me he appreciated that sooooo much, as he didn't want to buy a whole bottle for himself, but loved having something that felt "special".

The other thing I did was to make little breakfast sandwiches, that could be frozen, so that the kids so they could heat them up each morning.

One of my BFFs just recently finished chemo and is undergoing radiation. Their family LOVES breakfast - so I brought a breakfast-for-dinner spread: homemade cinnamon rolls, casserole, bacon, etc. The girls loved it and it was easy and normal for them. I would just ask - but if you can't I'd avoid noodles. Everyone uses noodles. Rice or potatoes are a little different.

Definitely don't take flowers. When my FIL was going through chemo, he couldn't get near cut flowers. They were on his must avoid list.

Keep in mind that when FIL and my Dad were going through chemo, their mouths got very sore. I wouldn't take anything spicy and probably would take something soft. My FIL loved my beef noodles and I made them for him several times until he could no longer eat solid food at all. I would think a beef stew or something like that would be nice. You could also take salad, rolls and dessert.

The pasta comments made me think about the period of time after FIL died. Many people brought food over for the family but we ended up with about 6 lasagnas. We were definitely grateful that we didn't have to cook but I was so sick of lasagna after that I couldn't even look at it for a while.

As someone who just lost a good friend to cancer-

this is what she requested.

If she has kids- ask what EXACTLY her kids like if they are picky. We would bring EXACTLY what she asked for- exact brand, kind ect.

Just a few desserts- Like a plate with 4-6 cookies. Desserts became overwhelming at her house. Her kids were picky and often didn't care for the meal brought, and would eat all the desserts.

My friend requested we worry about her DH and kids before her. She probably wouldn't feel like eating anyhow- but it was super helpful to know her family was fed.

throw away containers - or put someone in charge of returning dishes to the rightful owners. This also became overwhelming for my friend.

Hope this helps. I bring a full meal when it is for baby or surgery ect. But if someone is receiving meals long term- I try to find out what the family already has had that week.

As someone who just lost a good friend to cancer-

this is what she requested.

If she has kids- ask what EXACTLY her kids like if they are picky. We would bring EXACTLY what she asked for- exact brand, kind ect.

Just a few desserts- Like a plate with 4-6 cookies. Desserts became overwhelming at her house. Her kids were picky and often didn't care for the meal brought, and would eat all the desserts.

My friend requested we worry about her DH and kids before her. She probably wouldn't feel like eating anyhow- but it was super helpful to know her family was fed.

throw away containers - or put someone in charge of returning dishes to the rightful owners. This also became overwhelming for my friend.

Hope this helps. I bring a full meal when it is for baby or surgery ect. But if someone is receiving meals long term- I try to find out what the family already has had that week.

:iagree:

I have a good friend going through chemo as well. I found that even if she picked something she thought she would love to have she didn't always eat that day depending on the effects of the chemo. She was much happier to know her husband and daughters were fed and if she felt like eating it she would.

When I was ill, and many people were bringing meals... we did end up with a lot of pasta meals. It was a bit much, in the long run, though we deeply appreciated every meal. We were lacking in veggies and fruits at times.

I loved soups - any kind of soup. And salads already prepared. Good bread was a bonus. Bean dishes were great, veggie sides that could be re-heated were a hit.

One neighbor would come get the insert for our crockpot every Fri night, fill it, and bring it back to us with directions for how long to soak (if necessary) then cook. That was wonderful.

My mom would come and make us a roast, or a ham, with several sides that could be re-heated. That was a treat, because it was a nice change from casserole or crockpot type meals.

Oh! And one of my favorite items was cut up watermelon in a giant container - so refreshing. Fruit salad was a biggie. Also, raw broccoli with a good dressing for dipping - I liked Annie's.

Paper plates and bowls - that is a stroke of genius. We reluctantly switched to paper plates at some point, because it made sense to put our energy into other areas (when your energy is so low, even doing the dishes can be draining). Delivering paper plates, bowls, napkins ... what a thoughtful idea.