Menu

I just wanted to share my new reading curriculum love!

Superfly

I found the most wonderful reading anthologies at Half Price. These are out of print, but you can find them at alibris.com for about $1-2 each. Anyway...I've posted pics and table of contents on my blog:

http://dcuniversehs.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-new-love.html

They compile a ton of classic stories, fairytales, myths, etc. as well as a good mix of history, poems, and biographies. They are seriously awesome!!! I have 4 more on the way!:lol:

The old Open Court was great: a good strong phonics program that used great literature, as your pictures show.

It also started out with teaching long vowels. You can make much better stories with long vowels.

You can read about it demise in the book "Let's Kill Dick and Jane," it is a sad story, such a great program run out of the schools.

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Kill-Dick-Jane-Publishing/dp/1587319195/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289185392&sr=8-1

The workbooks used to teach the program are hard to find, I have seen a few pages but have not yet found the workbooks.

The old Open Court was great: a good strong phonics program that used great literature, as your pictures show.

It also started out with teaching long vowels. You can make much better stories with long vowels.

You can read about it demise in the book "Let's Kill Dick and Jane," it is a sad story, such a great program run out of the schools.

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Kill-Dick-Jane-Publishing/dp/1587319195/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289185392&sr=8-1

The workbooks used to teach the program are hard to find, I have seen a few pages but have not yet found the workbooks.

Wow! That is really interesting. I wondered why the new books looked so terrible. I have seen some of the workbooks floating around...for like $185 each!!! I think we can do without them ;) It is such a shame that good products get pushed out by popular culture.

Wow! That is really interesting. I wondered why the new books looked so terrible. I have seen some of the workbooks floating around...for like $185 each!!! I think we can do without them ;) It is such a shame that good products get pushed out by popular culture.

It was run out of the schools by whole word fans and ed school folks.

Sadly, it was the only curriculum ever used in more than a few schools that actually met the stated goal of whole language, reading meaningful books.

I love the idea of these ... though I'm having trouble figuring out how many of them there are, what grades, etc. And some I've only found 1999 editions for.

I wonder if there are History and Math equivalents to this. As a former public school teacher, I struggle with two competing desires: the first, to make my home school entirely OTHER (classical, Christian, different scheduling, etc.); the second, to find a decent public school curriculum for cheap (in this case, older suits both needs) and implement that as a "spine," rounding it out with tons and tons of lovely books, presumably picked out from those recommended by TOG, Sonlight, etc.

Thanks for sharing this. Now I can keep an eye open at garage sales and the thrift store.

Another really nice reading series is from '91 and '93 by Silver Burdett Ginn called World of Reading. I began collecting these probably 13 years ago. There are a lot of books in the series. Here's the titles:

All Through the Town (level 1)

Out Came the Sun (level 2)

Morning Bells (level 3)

Make a Wish (level 4)

A New Day (level 5)

Garden Gates (level 6)

Going Places (level 7)

Castles of Sand (level 8)

On the Horizon (level 9)

Silver Secrets (level 10)

Dream Chasers (level 11)

Wind By the Sea (level 12)

Star Walk (level 13)

World's Beyond (level 14)

Here's a few links so you can see what some of them look like:

http://www.amazon.com/Package-Burdett-0663520649-0663520320-Sterling/dp/B0037SC44M/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1289228196&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Package-Burdett-Reading-Textbooks-Sterling/dp/B003LRAY28/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1289228264&sr=8-16

http://www.amazon.com/Package-Burdett-0663521548-0663521831-Sterling/dp/B0037SGGKA/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1289228362&sr=8-20

http://www.amazon.com/Package-Burdett-Reading-Student-Textbooks/dp/B0037ICGTU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1289228436&sr=8-6

Here are the titles in the series and the levels:

First Star (K) - I haven't been able to find this one

The Blue-Pillowed Sky (K)

A Shiny Golden Path (1)

Rainbow Bridge (1) 0812613155

Slide Down the Sky (2) 0812621158

From Sea to Shining Sea (2) 0812622154

Time for Dreams (3) 0812631153

Across the World (3) 081263215x

I'm not 100% on the grade lvl of these:

Over th Moon (4)

Sound of the Sea (5)

Promises to Keep (6)

I use open court too but this set

Reading is Fun

A Trip Through Wonderland

Our Country

A Magic World

A Trip Around the world

What Joy Awaits You

But Life is Calling You

Awake to Worlds Unfolding

I use copies from the late '60's. I found my copies for less than $1 a piece though I see there are some used copies for sale for crazy prices. Great anthologies of with real literature. I find them great for car rides or killing time at appointments. You can read a whole story or two in that time.

Here are the titles in the series and the levels:

First Star (K) - I haven't been able to find this one

The Blue-Pillowed Sky (K)

A Shiny Golden Path (1)

Rainbow Bridge (1) 0812613155

Slide Down the Sky (2) 0812621158

From Sea to Shining Sea (2) 0812622154

Time for Dreams (3) 0812631153

Across the World (3) 081263215x

I'm not 100% on the grade lvl of these:

Over th Moon (4)

Sound of the Sea (5)

Promises to Keep (6)

This board is naughty. :tongue_smilie: I just ordered From Sea to Shining Sea (2) and Sound of the Sea (5).

Mandy

This board is naughty. :tongue_smilie:

Uh, yes it is.

I got so caught up in needing this type of thing from an older thread (can't find it now, the terms are too common) that I found and ordered 2 sets. One is from the 60's called Junior Classics and the other called My Book House. I love them but it's a LOT to read!:D I shouldn't have even opened this thread!

Follett Educational Services is always a good place to find public school books. I just order From Sea to Shining Sea, and they had the workbooks in stock.

Did you find the old Gold and Blue workbooks? I did not see those. I would be very interested if they had some!!

The new Open Court workbooks have sight words and start with short vowels.

The old ones have few sight words and start with long vowels.

A program that is still for sale today by one of the authors of the old Open Court is School Phonics, it starts with long vowels and would be a better match to go along with these readers. (You can buy just the 2 student books if you know how to teach phonics, the teacher's manual is only needed if you have no clue about phonics.)

Did you find the old Gold and Blue workbooks? I did not see those. I would be very interested if they had some!!

The new Open Court workbooks have sight words and start with short vowels.

The old ones have few sight words and start with long vowels.

A program that is still for sale today by one of the authors of the old Open Court is School Phonics, it starts with long vowels and would be a better match to go along with these readers. (You can buy just the 2 student books if you know how to teach phonics, the teacher's manual is only needed if you have no clue about phonics.)

I was only looking for From Sea to Shining Sea because we are studying American history this year. The workbook was listed with the same publication year.

I was only looking for From Sea to Shining Sea because we are studying American history this year. The workbook was listed with the same publication year.

OK, I found it...they list them both but have no copies available.

I did find them on Alibris for a reasonable price, though, so I ordered them.