Menu

Have you read books from "Childhood of Famous Americans"?

We bought Neil Armstrong, Walt Disney, Wilbur and Orville Wright to read aloud for fun. (buy 2 get 1 free at BN) Not really doing a report on it or anything - I just want to introduce it to ds.

He read 4 pages of Walt Disney http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Childhood-Famous-Americans/dp/0689813244/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208790265&sr=8-5

to me today....he likes it so far. I explained to him the Walt Disney is a person's name. He said, "Oh so it's like Jared ...... films - just like Walt Disney films?! Cool!

I want him to know about Walt Disney because we're going to Disneyland next month. YAY!

What are your thoughts on these books? I was planning to buy more. They have:

Abigail Adams, John Adams, Louisa May Alcott, Susan B. Anthony, Crispus Attucks, Clara Barton, Elizabeth Blackwell and more........

The new ones are rather PC. The old ones are all over ebay, so you can pick up piles of them cheaply. I have almost 70 of them.
The new ones are probably also a lot more factual; the old ones were highly fictionalized. I own, for example, a COFA biography of Virginia Dare, which thoroughly disillusioned me when I was 9.

Modern biographies for children (in general) are more factual, have much better illustrations--often with photographs of real items--and a lower reading level. Older bio's are more involved and have higher reading levels, but are not nearly as accurate.

The new ones are probably also a lot more factual; the old ones were highly fictionalized.

I have to agree... We (when I was working there) pulled all of the old versions of these from the shelves of the children's library because they were so inaccurate. We could only have kept them as historical fiction and the librarian felt that it would be too confusing to have them in the library with the biographies. (I wish they had just moved the books to the fiction section, but they were discarded.)

They are fun, but not non-fiction, imo.

I can't believe all of the things he has learned from these books as well. I know they are fiction, but they have given ds a good sense of timelines (what happened when), and really broadened his knowledge of history. He knows many of the presidents names, when the were president, about the Civil War, and on and on ALL from these books! We have only studied Ancient and Middle Ages history so far, yet he knows a lot of American history from these books. They are very worthwhile, IMO.

Kathy

I'm wondering... have the currently-in-print COFA books been revised from their earlier versions? Or are they entirely rewritten? Or...? I have an old copy of Sacajawea which my dc haven't read yet -- would the current copy have a more accurate story of her life?