Menu

Is AAS worth it?

Kidlit

I don't mean cost-wise, I mean time-wise. I just started doing level one with my first grader and pre-Kindergartener a few weeks ago. Both girls can read, and the first grader is fairly fluent, 'though I have no idea at what level she can read. (She has read several easy chapter books already, and she has few problems with level 3 readers.) I don't know if it's because we usually do spelling last when we're all tired, or if there really is something out there that's a better fit for us. Today my first grader finally asked if we could do something a little harder, so I am planning to zoom through the short vowel sounds. Using the program seems very unwieldy to me--so many cards, tiles, tokens, etc. I don't want to give up on it if it's REALLY THAT GOOD (which is the opinion I seem to get from everything I read on here). However, if we can be served as well by something a little simpler, I'm ready to make the switch.

:bigear:

From what I understand, yes it is great. We are zooming through book 1. My son loves it though. He can do it, so it puts him is a positive mood. My friend has 2 girls at a charter school and they use the Riggs method. AAS is very similar in a home school version. From what I understand, they will be able to figure out pretty much any word by understanding all of these early concepts.

Hope that helps.

http://www.riggsinst.org/

For us, it really is worth it all. Granted, I am pretty lax on all the cards. We might review rules as they come up (either in spelling, writing outside of spelling or reading), but I don't quite follow the program from that angle. Also, once the boys (my older two) were printing really well, I dropped the tiles for the most part and just do our lessons on small white boards. It hasn't affected their spelling at all that I can tell. Personally, I am sold on the program (ds#1 is now in level 5 and ds#2 is now in level 4; ds#3 will start level 1 this summer at the latest). It is much more intensive, teacher-wise, than a workbook style program, but I see the progress my boys are having with it (and the progress that spills over into their reading, especially multi-syllable words, and other writing), and that keeps me with the program.

Thanks for the responses!

My eldest dd doesn't like using the tiles. I think she finds them "fidgety" and simply prefers writing the words. Too, I'm confused myself with too many details, so I often forget which cards to do, etc. I'm just not sure I get how it's supposed to work.

Worth it for us; and my youngers learned to alphabetize quickly by being handed that magnet board and the pile of tiles daily for a while. Once they got quick enough, we started leaving the tiles on the board. We've tried the IEW spelling program and sequential spelling with no success. This seems to work.

My eldest dd doesn't like using the tiles. I think she finds them "fidgety" and simply prefers writing the words. Too, I'm confused myself with too many details, so I often forget which cards to do, etc. I'm just not sure I get how it's supposed to work.

If she doesn't like the tiles then let her spell the words by hand. The tiles are great for learning new rules but not necessary for spelling the words. She may like them better when the words become more difficult...or maybe not.

My 6 year old son won't use the tiles! He loves to write all his words and phrases in a little notebook.

We are just about done Level One, and I finally feel like I have the hang of the programme. My advice would be to keep at it, and you will find it easier and easier to teach.

I simplified my box so that I only have one daily review tab--that makes it easier for me. I put any cards that we need to review behind that tab. Here's a pic of how I've set up our box and other materials.

It's been worth it for us. My kids don't really use the tiles, but I use them for demonstrations & then my youngest will use them sometimes. My oldest likes to write on paper and my youngest on a hand-held white board.

You can adjust to make the program work for you. Definitely go through the first level quickly since it's easy for your dd. You don't have to make her spell all of the easy words if she has memorized them. Teach the concept in the lesson, have her teach it back to you, and move on. We only spent 3 weeks on the first level, filling in some gaps.

HTH, it's definitely been worth it here! Merry :-)

My dd was a good reader at the beginning of the year, but a HORRIBLE speller.

BUT, she spelled everything phonetically. I tried another program that used a random list and activities to practice the word....she missed the same words at the end of the week as she missed at the beginning.

For my dd, AAS just does it for her. It gives her the rule and THAT she can work with. It does take up a lot of time, but I waited to start spelling until she was finished with phonics. So, it really took over that time slot. And it's working.

ETA: I give my dd the option of using tiles, whiteboard, or paper. She changes her choice, but likes to be given the option. She will often start out writing and then use the tiles near the end of the lesson.

Not for us. It took up too much time, and became frustrating because by the time we finished with a lesson we were both tired with the many pieces that needed to be done. We're going slowly through Apples & Pears and it's going much more smoothly and taking so much less time!

Thanks for all the responses! You all have definitely convinced me to keep at it with AAS!

Here's what I'm considering:

1. Dropping AAS for now and picking it back up when we finish OPGTTR. My first grader is right around lesson 120 now, so we're a little over half way through. We might even double up on lessons.

2. Making a box like Merry linked to to simplify all the stuff.

3. Letting dd use the whiteboard, etc., instead of the tiles.

Any other hints as to how to streamline it?

Thanks again, everyone!:D

My son HATED using the tiles at first. We had some major battles (although we seem to have major battles any time he doesn't want to do things in a certain way). I insisted. Now when he asks how to spell a word, I often have him segment it. He'll move his finger on the table for each sound, and his spelling has improved quite a bit. I don't think he'd have had that without using the tiles as a reinforcement of segmenting a word.

Of course, your kids may do better with spelling than my son! ;)

The reinforcement of segmenting with the tiles and phonics link has really helped here.

Well, I think AAS is a great program and I love it for my boys in spite of the time requirement, but it would have not been a good fit for my daughter. She read early, spelled well naturally, and didn't need something as incremental as AAS. She used and loved Spelling Workout, which was good for me since it was basically an open & go workbook. I love AAS but I think there are some kids that don't need all that.

It's been worth it for us. My kids don't really use the tiles, but I use them for demonstrations & then my youngest will use them sometimes. My oldest likes to write on paper and my youngest on a hand-held white board.

We've used levels 1 - 5 and I love it! It has been one of the best homeschool purchases I've ever made. When one of my dds misspells a word, I can give a reminder of the rule and she knows how to correct it. I really, really, really wish I had had rule-based spelling when I was a child.

To simplify things, I only use the tiles during instruction. My dds usually prefer to write with a marker (they pretty much only get to use markers during spelling, so that may be part of it). Occasionally they will use the tiles. I do one step per week and have made copywork pages of the rules and words for them to do on the other days. I think the program is really easy to use. I check behind each review tab and review those cards. We go through the lesson, adding new cards to review or mastered as needed. It's well worth the 20 - 30 minutes of teacher time spent weekly. :)

I'm using Phonics Road 1 and AAS 1 with my 1st-grader. We're on week 12 and so far I prefer the AAS way of doing things. PR does move faster with the phonograms, which is nice....

1. Dropping AAS for now and picking it back up when we finish OPGTTR. My first grader is right around lesson 120 now, so we're a little over half way through. We might even double up on lessons.

I started off doing AAS with my kindy, also. While she liked it and was doing fine, I think my 2nd grader is doing well just picking it up this year. So, I am going to wait until my kindy is finished with phonics.

2. Making a box like Merry linked to to simplify all the stuff.

I'll have to go look at the link. I use a note card organizer. I'm getting better, but I still sometimes feel like I'm fumbling around with the cards. But, it's just working for dd. I bought the program a little late into this school year (early September?) but dd has ALREADY shown improvement with spelling. She just needed those rules to go by.

3. Letting dd use the whiteboard, etc., instead of the tiles.
There are times I like the tiles and I understand their use (dd forgets to put a u with the q and the tile does that automatically.) So, I break them out some. But, dd does fine writing and is much faster. Since we double up on lessons, we sometimes go through several word lists. When her hand gets tired, she will do tiles again. But, I don't think you have to use them.

My kids are right brained hands on learners, so yes. Before doing AAS my oldest was doing SWR, another very strong, intensive program. She was spelling on a 7th grade level when we switched. Now 1.5 years later she is in level 5 and spelling at an 8.8 grade level.

Worth all the time and energy, but I am a horrible speller so I think being able to spell an essential skill.

Heather

Not for us. We went through two levels and started level three. By then my oldest could recite every spelling rule by heart, but she couldn't spell to save her life. I don't know if it is just her or what, but we finally dropped it. We switched to Sequential Spelling (cheaper and much less time consuming), and that is working really well for her. I plan to use it with my current 2nd grader, starting next year.