Menu

LLL has bronchitis :( -- anything to combat the stomach pain from meds?

I'm home with sick LLL this morning. (Missing church...) LLL caught a respiratory virus last week which developed into bacterial bronchitis. She's on antibiotics, and has to take a Robitussin with codeine (only at night) to sleep. Her stomach hurts so much from the combo of these two strong meds. She just doesn't sleep without the Robitussin/codeine though.

:rant: (Poor baby, she's been so sick off and on every since we moved from Tucson...remember the 2 months of strep? I'm SO TIRED OF SICKNESS in this home!) :rant:

Anyway, any solutions for the stomach pain? The doctor warned us it could cause her tummy to hurt. I gave her a children's Pepto tablet last night, but I don't want to do that too much...

Yogurt or kefir is a good idea depending on what antibiotics she is on. You can't have dairy/calcium products within 2 hours of taking cipro or levofloxacin. If she is on amoxicillin, then it is no problem. Check the drug info that came with the antibiotic to make sure. If she can't have dairy, then just make sure she isn't taking it on an empty stomach. Hopefully she feels better soon!

Yogurt with acidophilus, bananas, toast, milk,yogurt drinks and even milkshakes if she tolerates the milk products. I say feed them anything they'll eat when their systems are fighting. Offer lots of drinks, juicepops/slushies and snacks letting her graze to keep her tummy from getting empty. Poor kiddo, I hope she feels better.

The stomach pain should subside after about 3 or 4 days on the meds. Yogurt can help prevent a yeast infection. Buy the refrigerated probiotic packets they sell behind the pharmacy counter and mix it in with the yogurt. Make sure you feed her the yogurt at least 3 hours before or after you give the antibiotics. If you feed them too close together, the antibiotics will kill the probiotics before they've had a chance to do anything. Also, always give the meds on a full stomach and have her drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Never give adult Pepto Bismol to a child (under 18). It has salycilates in it and can cause the same problems giving aspirin to a child can....Reye's Syndrome.