Menu

Yellow teeth in children

I'm noticing my daughter's teeth looking very yellow lately. She is 11. She never drinks soda, tea or coffee. She has a very, very LOW sugar diet. She brushes twice a day. She's never on antibiotics (I think once in her life when she was in preschool). She's never had a cavity. So, obviously, perfectly healthy! What could cause yellowing of teeth so young? Any ideas?? :confused:

I was worried about my 11yo too. The dentist told me that the permanent teeth are much darker than baby teeth, so the contrast of the two in her mouth (baby and perm.) can look worrisome.

It never hurts to go have her teeth checked. I took mine in yesterday because she has a pink tooth. :blink: Everything was fine.

I have the same issue with my 11 yr. old. No cavities & sees the dentist every 6 months for a cleaning. I brought it up with the dentist on her last visit. The first thing she asked was "Does she sleep with her mouth open?" Yes she does - every night! That was the culprit. She didn't suggest a remedy and as long it's not harmful, I'm okay. Maybe a baking soda toothpaste would help?

HTH :)

1) Adult teeth are darker. 2) Our perceptions are *skewed* since teeth-whitening has become so common. Watch a tv-show from 15-20 years ago (say, Seinfeld, for instance) and just *look* at the people's teeth. That's not what we see today -- on television *or* in real life because so many adults use whitening toothpastes or other whitening treatments.

It makes seeing natural-colored teeth a little disturbing.

1) Adult teeth are darker. 2) Our perceptions are *skewed* since teeth-whitening has become so common. Watch a tv-show from 15-20 years ago (say, Seinfeld, for instance) and just *look* at the people's teeth. That's not what we see today -- on television *or* in real life because so many adults use whitening toothpastes or other whitening treatments.

It makes seeing natural-colored teeth a little disturbing.

Great point. I'm going to remember that when I'm looking at her teeth and start worrying... again.

Ds1 has yellowish teeth. I asked his dentist about it and he said it was normal. That people's teeth do come in different shades. Nothing to worry about. It does look lighter after a cleaning. Ds is a mouth breather and has had a cavity but the dentist never asked about that. The only other thing he mentioned was that if ds wanted his teeth to look different he did have options (like veneers or bleaching) but not to even consider it until he's an adult.

FWIW dh also has yellowish teeth. And his never get lighter after cleaning. And he's never had a cavity.

Cinder

I'm noticing my daughter's teeth looking very yellow lately. She is 11. She never drinks soda, tea or coffee. She has a very, very LOW sugar diet. She brushes twice a day. She's never on antibiotics (I think once in her life when she was in preschool). She's never had a cavity. So, obviously, perfectly healthy! What could cause yellowing of teeth so young? Any ideas?? :confused:

my kids too, same diet. Pediatric dentist says it's hereditary.

Is she a redhead or hues close to red? I have a redheaded child and the dentist told me yellow teeth were normal in redheaded children. I agree with others there are different "hues" of teeth and I think you just have what you are meant to have. My mom is a natural redhead and has always had yellow/creamy colored teeth. Maybe an old wives tale but I had nothing but respect for the dentist who told me this--- he was a great dentist.

Is she a redhead or hues close to red? I have a redheaded child and the dentist told me yellow teeth were normal in redheaded children. I agree with others there are different "hues" of teeth and I think you just have what you are meant to have. My mom is a natural redhead and has always had yellow/creamy colored teeth. Maybe an old wives tale but I had nothing but respect for the dentist who told me this--- he was a great dentist.

:iagree: I was strawberry blond and my 16 yo dd is a dark redhead. Our dentist told us the same thing. She has used Crest whitening strips and they made them look a little lighter, which made her happy.

Mary

The color of tooth enamel is just different from person-to-person. Unfortunately, the natural color of my teeth has a yellow cast and I've passed that on to one of my kids.

:iagree:Our dentist says it's genetic. Some in our family have very yellow teeth compared to others. Just the genes.