Menu

Beef recipes please..

We are beef farmers. Our bull went sterile this year so now he's freezer beef. Also we still have probably half a steer left in the freezer from last year too.

We have roasts, steaks (grilling and round), TONS of ground beef and a couple briskets. Help me....

pretty please????

Wow... I am jealous. Are these grass-fed cows?!

Anyway, we eat a lot of beef here (purchase 1/4 cow 2-3 times a year). I use my crockpot A LOT! ;)

you can pre-make a ton of meals with all that ground beef:

meat loaf

pot pies

taco meat

sausage patties

asian lettuce wrap filling

Italian red sauce & meat

raviolis

meatballs (for soup, pasta, or sandwiches)

roasts & steaks: I usually just crock pot them since grass-fed is lean. From the left overs, I do pot pies, casseroles, sandwiches, etc.

grass fed natural beef with no antibiotics or growth hormones/steroids.

My dh and I have quit buying steak when we go out to dinner. We go out for fish now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

WOW!!! you raise beef?! AMAZING!

you can always ship some out this way!!! :lol:

I won't be a huge help since we hardly ever eat beef, but I'll give you one of my favorite recipes:

Beef and Bean Round Up

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 16 oz. can baked beans, such as Bush's Original

1 tbsp. brown sugar

1 cup barbecue sauce

1 pkg. Pillsbury Grands Jr. Golden Layers biscuits (10 ct)

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In skillet, brown ground beef and onion. Stir in baked beans, brown sugar, and barbecue sauce, heat till bubbly. Pour into a 9x9 baking pan. Top with biscuits. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through. Top with cheddar cheese and bake for 2-3 more minutes until cheese is melted.

I'd bet there is a local farmer who would love the business. Call your local Agricultural Extension Agent.

It is also WAY cheaper to buy it like that!

:D yes... we are in contact with a local farmer. We buy from them about 2-3 times a year. We :heart: our beef. heheehehe

I'm so jealous. We buy grassfed but we are completely out (and have been for over a month) and our farmer is out until he can get to his processor and pick it up. The sun is has been shining everyday for 2 weeks so he has to go out to the field. I want to pray for rain just so I can have hamburger again.

Anyways. There is a recipe I found here (either on the boards or at well trained kitchen) for italian beef sandwiches.

Basically you put a chuck roast in the crock pot, add a packet of dry onion soup mix (I make my own with 4 tsp beef boullion, 8 tsp dried onion and 1 tsp onion powder), a few pepperocini peppers and a couple of tablespoons of juice from the jar. Cook on low all day. Remove meat from crockpot, remove fat/bone and shred meat.

I think lightly toss the meat with flour and add it back to the crockpot on high for a half hour or so to make a thickened gravy. Makes great snadwiches but we like it even better over mashed potatoes. You can control the spiciness by how many peppers/juice you add.

Hamburger stroganoff is another way to use up hamburger. Basically I fry up hamburger and onions and mushrooms, and then add a homemade version of cream of chicken soup (or use the canned stuff), you can add sour cream if you want. Serve over egg noodles.

Pot roast

Hobo dinner (ground meat patties, covered with cream of mushroom soup, onions, potatoes, carrots and baked in individual foil packets- or through it in a big pan if you are to lazy to make individual packets like I am)

Meatballs, eaten plain, made into meatball subs, spaghetti and meatballs, I've seen some asian/teriyaki stir fry recipes using meatballs

Tacos (we would eat this weekly if we could)

beef enchiladas (ground hamburger, onions, chile peppers, fried up and wrapped in soft shells with cheddar chese, spread in pan and cover with enchilada sauce, bake until heated through)

cut the steaks into strips and marinate and fry up for steak salad, steak stirfry, steak tacos, etc

Beef barley soup is one of my favorite winter meals

stuffed peppers

That's all I can think of of the top of my head.

Oh, go check out http://www.allrecipes.com you'll find hundred of ideas there.

We are beef farmers. Our bull went sterile this year so now he's freezer beef. Also we still have probably half a steer left in the freezer from last year too.

We have roasts, steaks (grilling and round), TONS of ground beef and a couple briskets. Help me....

pretty please????

I know this doesn't really help, but my first thought was you need to invite some friends over for a cookout!

I know this doesn't really help, but my first thought was you need to invite some friends over for a cookout!

we do that regularly and still... do you have any idea how long it takes to use up 700 lbs of beef?

Its funny that when we cook out, EVERYBODY gets steak. Even the kids. My mom and dad used to buy weenies for the kids. Not at my house.

Edited by fairfarmhand

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Salisbury-Steak/Detail.aspx

I don't use as much of the soup mix as it calls for, and I use low-sodium cream of mushroom, because it turns out a little bit salty for my taste.

I also don't always slow-cook it, sometimes I bake it, or simmer it on the stove.

It freezes nicely too. :001_smile:

Oh, make sure you drain the patties well before you put them in the gravy, so it doesn't turn out greasy. Serve with mashed potatoes & you have a quintessential comfort food!

ETA: Forgot to mention that I double the gravy part, 'cause my family loves it on the potatoes.

Yummy! We eat a lot of beef here too.

We just use Montreal Steak seasoning on our steaks and let it melt in our mouths. You don't even need A-1 sauce if it's cooked right and given time to sit before eating so the juices can redistribute.

For roasts we like to use homemade onion soup mix over it and a little water and cook on low in the oven.

For briskets dh puts various seasonings on and cooks on low in the oven.

He is the man when it comes to meat, I was a vegetarian before I met him - LOL. That was because I never had meat that was cooked right. Too many people overcook it and don't let it rest before eating, that is the secret. Less is more, quality meat is naturally quite flavorful.

With the burger I would brown some and freeze so I could grab and make a quick dinner with them, taco meat, add to pasta sauce, etc. and I would also make and freeze hamburgers. Mix the onion mix into a batch, yummy!

Just eat beef, with potatoes 1 out of 101 ways and salad or veggies. Keep it simple.

I'm cringing at the thought of dumping canned soup or other prepackaged foods on quality beef!

oh yeah...LOVE that montreal steak seasoning..... Have you ever used it as a rub...let it sit on the meat for a few hours prior to cooking? yummy!