Menu

Our friend gave us a spaghetti squash and I don't know what to do with it

I feel stupid even asking, but beyond pumpkin and zucchini, I'm squash ignorant. I've never tasted it before. Is it a main course or a side dish? The sweetness of butternut squash throws my family off, so if this is sweet like that, I would need to make it savory somehow. I found this Herbed Spaghetti Squash recipe from Emeril which calls for savory herbs, butter, salt and pepper - sounds like a side, which is good because I'd likely be serving 8 with it, but easy enough. What vegetarian main would go with something like this? Some kind of mushroom dish?

If you'd like to share your squash smarts, I'm all :bigear:.

Spaghetti squash is frequently served as a substitute for pasta. It is very bland and needs sauce or seasoning. Pretty much any sauce you would use on spaghetti tastes good on the squash. Bake or boil the squash. If baking, prick rind with a knife or fork to prevent explosion. When soft, cut in half, scoop out seeds. Then take a fork and scrape across the pulp to create fibrous strands of "spaghetti."

Depending on the size of the squash and appetites, one squash is a main course for 2-4 people. As a side dish, it could serve 8.

I wash the outside, cut it in half, and scoop out the seeds. Then I lay each half on a baking sheet and pour water into the sheet. I bake the squash like that at 350 degrees for an hour or so. I remove the squash from the oven and scrape the flesh into a bowl. If the flesh doesn't scoop easily, keep baking. I recently made a 'pasta' bake with a spaghetti squash.

Bake squash and remove insides into a bowl.

Add 2 Tbsp. butter and 1/2 c parmesan to squash, then mix it up.

Put cooked squash into a baking dish, spread evenly.

Spread ricotta (mixed with some parmesan) over the squash.

Add spaghetti sauce.

Add mozzarella cheese.

Baked covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered until cheese is bubbly.

Hth...

:)

Edited by Serendipity
Added cooking information.

I just did spag squash as our main dish last night. I had cooked down some tomatoes in my crock pot and added the tomato juice/puree to sauteed onions, garlic, green pepper and a bunch of spinach and simmered until it reduced and blended. I also added Greek seasoning. I cut my squash in half, scrape out the seeds and then put the squash halves, cut side down, in a dish with a little water and bake until tender, then scrape the squash with a fork and add the squash strings to the sauce. You can also add cheese on top.

We have a spaghetti squash casserole that we love. First I put the whole squash in a large pot of water and cook until you can easily prick it.

Take it out cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and scoop the squash out of the softened shell.

Spread 1 cup rice on bottom of 9X13

Pour 3 cup veggie/ tom juice over the rice.

Spread the squash over this (or into this), salt and pepper the squash layer.

Lay 1/2 lb, half fried or raw bacon over the squash.

Bake 350* until the bacon is crisp. Add a layer of mozz. cheese instead of the bacon if you want. yummy!!!

LOVE LOVE spaghetti squash....here's how I cook mine--wash it,split it (cut it in half)--remove the seeds--place in deep baking dish/casserole dish and fill with water (not fully-but enough to touch the squash)--place cut side down and bake at 375-400*F until squash is tender when poked with knife/fork....remove and let cool a few mins---shred the "meat"/spaghetti strands with a fork and serve with butter and whatever sauce you like--I usually just use butter/salt/and a few triangles of laughing cow cheese...YUMMMMM