Menu

Assigning grades for Algebra?

What percentages do you use to calculate grades? My ds is working through Foerster's Algebra 1. Up to now I've given him 10% for his notes (daily study, working example problems, etc.), 25% for assignments (completion and making corrections), and 65% for his tests. It seems a bit generous, though, as 35% of his grade is an easy A. I do want to give him something for his daily work, but I'm not sure what is fair.

Help???

I use 90% for A, 80% for B etc - same as our college classes.

My kids' grades, however, are based on one single exam at the end of the semester.

I see the daily work as a tool to ensure success on the exam. They have to work the daily problems till they get them right. There is no penalty of they make mistakes on the daily work - but no grades if they don't, either.

What percentages do you use to calculate grades? My ds is working through Foerster's Algebra 1. Up to now I've given him 10% for his notes (daily study, working example problems, etc.), 25% for assignments (completion and making corrections), and 65% for his tests. It seems a bit generous, though, as 35% of his grade is an easy A. I do want to give him something for his daily work, but I'm not sure what is fair.

Help???

I don't make my dc take notes in math. I simply grade all work before corrections and count that, since my dc either don't have answer keys (my younger two) or wouldn't be caught dead looking up an answer or even getting any help that makes it easy to get the math answer. That one just took the PSAT without using her calculator. I do do a formula simliar to the one you're using for biology and feel completely comfortable doing that. I don't agree with using only test grades for grades as a rule. What you're doing is fine. My dd's Biology text says 65 % for tests & 35% for labs or 10 % for study guide questions, 35% for labs & 55 % for tests. I chose the latter otherwise dd is likely not to do the study guide questions and I'm grading all of her learning, including learning good work habits. With my eldest, this is very important because outside of math she'll do the least amount of work she can get away with.

I use what the local schools use: 70% for tests and 30% for homework completion.

Actually, with the above weighting, if he's averaging 90% on the tests, effectively only 3% is coming from the homework completion, as the weighted grade would be 93%.

I expect my students AND my children to make 100% on their homework. If they make an error they go back and correct it (asking for help if needed). Homework is not complete unless it is 100% correct OR the teacher has been notified.

For semester grades I average the tests up to that point. I do not give a semester exam because I use a program (Lials) that builds on each chapter... they have to have mastered previous chapters in order to move on.

If a grade is borderline I will take into consideration, attitude and participation.

---

When I was a classroom teacher I was required to take grades on all homework assignments... also if I did not assign a grade then the students simply WOULD NOT do the assignment. Homework was typically 30% of the grade... in one district homework was 50% of the grade (this was TOO padded for me!).

Just because schools assign grades for homework does not mean it is the best or only way to get an accurate placement.

In my experience homework grades tend to BRING DOWN final averages... (unless the students 'share' answers....ugg).

Homework was typically 30% of the grade... in one district homework was 50% of the grade (this was TOO padded for me!).

I dislike such a system. IMO, the final grade should be exclusively the product of knowledge, not of effort (and accumulated homework grades basically measure the effort during the course rather than final knowledge).

I dislike such a system. IMO, the final grade should be exclusively the product of knowledge, not of effort (and accumulated homework grades basically measure the effort during the course rather than final knowledge).

That is what I feel, too.

Unfortunately, even in college we are expected to give grades on the homework to encourage homework completion (because apparently the students can not be expected to be mature enough to do work without immediate reward)- and quizzes on the reading, so the students get a reward for reading the textbook. Ugh.

(when I went to university in Germany, there were one or two written exams a semester and a comprehensive oral final after the YEAR -so instead of learning material in four week chunks and then forgetting it, we were expected to master the material and retain the information long term).

Of all subjects, I find math the most important one for long-term mastery because concepts build on each other to a degree that is not there in other subjects.

btw, I, too, expect my children to work every assigned problem correctly - the challenge problems of AoPS may require help, that's OK.

(when I went to university in Germany, there were one or two written exams a semester and a comprehensive oral final after the YEAR -so instead of learning material in four week chunks and then forgetting it, we were expected to master the material and retain the information long term).

(I sympathize; I went through the similar system which is why this system of "prizes" and giving huge percentages of grades on things such as attendance, participation and homework totally doesn't resonate with me. Especially not in universities, which should by default be expert formation institutions; but even in high schools.)

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. As my son is averaging a mid-B on the tests, but getting an A in the course (due to the grading), I knew that something needed to change. I want his grade to accurately reflect his knowledge. I haven't yet decided how I'll change the formula, but you've all given me a lot to think about. Thanks too, Jann, for mentioning how you calculate semester grades. I hadn't thought of that yet.

I appreciate your time today.