Menu

Essential Literary Terms: A Brief Norton Guide with Exercises

This is the book that SWB recommends for high school Lit Analysis. I bought it this summer at the conference in Richmond, and I just wanted to post and say that this book is absolutely awesome! We haven't done much of it yet, but I love it. It goes so deep. I am reading it to my dd and then we are discussing it together.

It's expensive but worth it! Buy it!

If a student has gone through Figuratively Speaking, would this book be necessary? Are the exercises more advanced? I am currently using Walch Publishing's Literature Alive, which I am pleased with. Do you have a link for the Table of Contents for the Norton Guide?

:willy_nilly:

Why have you been hiding Literature Alive from me? I thought we were friends!

I bought this, as well, a few months ago after listening to SWB's seminar and it's still sitting on the shelf. I need to somehow incorporate it into my son's weekly schedule. How often do you do this with your daughter?

We've been doing it about a half hour one time a week. I think that was what SWB recommended.

:willy_nilly:

Why have you been hiding Literature Alive from me? I thought we were friends!

I thought you'd laugh.:D You know how I am about literary analysis resources. They are not for the kids, but for me. I love lit analysis and always want to see if there is yet another approach. So far, we've found Literature Alive to be a very handy tool. You could stretch this out and make a good solid course over two years for your young man along with the Great Books. The context work alone is giving us a fair amount to chew on. S is doing it; D is doing other things.

If a student has gone through Figuratively Speaking, would this book be necessary? Are the exercises more advanced? I am currently using Walch Publishing's Literature Alive, which I am pleased with. Do you have a link for the Table of Contents for the Norton Guide?

I used Figurately Speaking with my dc last year, and we are using Essential Literary Terms this year. Essential Literary Terms is significantly more advanced than Figuratively Speaking. It is written to a much older, more sophisticated audience. It's great for high school (and above), but not so terrific for my younger children. I am reading a short portion each morning and discussing the exercises as we come to them, but I am not assigning them to any of my children at this point. I agree that it is a great book and well worth using, especially for high school or mature/advanced readers.

HTH

I used Figurately Speaking with my dc last year, and we are using Essential Literary Terms this year. Essential Literary Terms is significantly more advanced than Figuratively Speaking. It is written to a much older, more sophisticated audience. It's great for high school (and above), but not so terrific for my younger children. I am reading a short portion each morning and discussing the exercises as we come to them, but I am not assigning them to any of my children at this point. I agree that it is a great book and well worth using, especially for high school or mature/advanced readers.

HTH

Yes, I agree. I am using it with a 14yo. I would not go lower in age with this book! It's teaching me things *I* didn't know (and I've taken grad courses in literature!)

Well, we haven't done very much so far, but I had never heard about "tenor" and "vehicle" in regards to metaphors. The tenor is the literal subject, and the vehicle is what conveys the comparison. So today when we heard Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield" and I made my dd groan by saying, "That's a metaphor," I now know that "love" is the tenor and "battlefield" is the vehicle.

Well, we haven't done very much so far, but I had never heard about "tenor" and "vehicle" in regards to metaphors. The tenor is the literal subject, and the vehicle is what conveys the comparison. So today when we heard Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield" and I made my dd groan by saying, "That's a metaphor," I now know that "love" is the tenor and "battlefield" is the vehicle.

I always like knowing the specifics of things. This is a great example. How are you working through this? How often per week, etc. I was looking at the TOC and excerpts on-line, and it does appear to be quite thorough.

Once a week for about a half an hour or so. I was looking at it last night and it says that the answers to the exercises are available online for instructors. I'm going to see if I can access them because I would like to have them.

Ack, don't tell me that! I sucked it up and paid $40 for the stupid answers. :tongue_smilie::D

Once a week for about a half an hour or so. I was looking at it last night and it says that the answers to the exercises are available online for instructors. I'm going to see if I can access them because I would like to have them.

I thought *you* had suggested the Literature Alive. That was the one I wanted to know about for pacing. But thanks for answering anyway. :D

I thought *you* had suggested the Literature Alive. That was the one I wanted to know about for pacing. But thanks for answering anyway. :D

You're welcome. :D

I've done that too. A few days ago, I was thinking about a thread and thought I had found a logical flaw in someone's argument that would derail their entire line of thinking and came back to post it, only to find that I had confused two different posters. :lol: