Menu

Has Anyone Ever Fried Food in Honey?

Well, let me tell you how it went!:banghead:

No, it doesn't sizzle like oil. It froths and turns black (and this was really good quality honey), and by the time it turns black, well, forget it, it's too late. You cannot walk away from the frying pan - like.I.did.:toetap05:

I was able to salvage some of them -- mostly the ones around the perimeter of the LC skillet - which I also managed to salvage - which was a good thing b/c I had already sacrificed a piece of LC cookware on the altar of AGA earlier this week when I was browning a pot roast in it - not realizing that THAT piece of LC was not made for the stove top.:cursing::banghead:

Back to the skillet and the honey, I scrubbed out what I could, put water in the skillet, and put it back on the burner and brought it to a boil. The honey softened, came to the top, and I poured out the water and the honey and the skillet looks like new.

The dates are keeping warm.....the ones I managed to save. I did try them......they are........um........interesting. Perhaps the togas will turn out better.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZpksfzhIaluVRaZfxvRdkVfpC4MiA9-OeP10YUOSVq-2bfL4&t=1&usg=__xa5Xjd8C4ztx7t6hL5gKuYY9O5I=

Edited by MariannNOVA

TooooooooooGA! TooooooooooooooGA!

Sorry about the dates :grouphug:

:rofl: Yes, dd9 was outside chanting tuNIC, tuNIC and I went out and corrected her. Perhaps our end of unit celebration is a bit premature. :glare: I've decided I do like figs more than I like dates -- the dates were awful sticky.

:grouphug:

Sorry it didn't work. It sounded good though.

Thanks -- Yup, it sounded good, but, hmmmmm, not that good. My guess is that the chocolate chip cookies for dessert will be a hit, though.:drool5:

In other recipes I have tried, honey often added last because it burns easily. Even on low heat it can scorch and burn unless carefully watched.Oops, sorry, I guess I should have come by to tell you this earlier.

:rolleyes: well, now I know. I'm having a 'little' bit of an adjustment period with the AGA and temperature. I'll get the hang of it.......at least I didn't lose another piece of LC.

Oh, and have a wonderful birthday!:)

I'm frying dates in honey (we are having a Roman Feast this evening to mark the completion of our unit on Ancient Rome).

Should the honey sizzle when it is hot the way oil does?:confused:

Thanks

I have a recipe I like that includes chicken breast cut into chunks. One of the ingredients is honey. You fry the chicken with oil and ginger and the other ingredients and then add teriyaki sauce and honey.

I think you should look for another recipe. Maybe fry the dates with some oil until they are done and then add a little honey. I think it would work better if the honey is mixed with some type of liquid, but I don't know what would make it most like an Ancient Roman recipe.

I've never heard of frying dates so I can't help you. I just know that when I use honey in the chicken recipe that I don't fry the chicken with just honey.

Edited by Miss Sherry

I have a recipe I like that includes chicken breast cut into chunks. One of the ingredients is honey. You fry the chicken with oil and ginger and the other ingredients and then add teriyaki sauce and honey.

I think you should look for another recipe. Maybe fry the dates with some oil until they are done and then add a little honey. I think it would work better if the honey is mixed with some type of liquid, but I don't know what would make it most like an Ancient Roman recipe.

In bold -- THAT is how I think it should be done. Maybe next time -- I love the sound of your chicken recipe -- now that I will have to try.:)

Sesame Chicken

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts-cut into chunks

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup sesame seeds (divided)

1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1/4 large yellow onion, cut into wedges

3 Tbsp teriyaki sauce/marinade

3 Tbsp honey

On a large dinner plate combine flour, pepper, 1/4 cup of sesame seeds, crushed red pepper flakes and ground ginger. Coat pieces of chicken with mixture.

Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium heat. Place chicken into skillet and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. Stir onion wedges into skillet; cook until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Return chicken to skillet and reduce heat to low. Mix in teriyaki sauce, remaining sesame seeds and honey; stir until sauce thickens. Return onion to skillet. Warm through and serve over brown rice.

**You can increase the sauce at the end, just do it with equal parts teriyaki sauce and honey. Dh likes a little more than the recipe calls for. wink.gif

I'm frying dates in honey (we are having a Roman Feast this evening to mark the completion of our unit on Ancient Rome).

Should the honey sizzle when it is hot the way oil does?:confused:

Thanks

I've never fried food in honey, but I have made desserts that were fried then soaked in a honey or sugar syrup. Gulab Jamum and Jalebi come to mind.

Well, let me tell you how it went!:banghead:

No, it doesn't sizzle like oil. It froths and turns black (and this was really good quality honey), and by the time it turns black, well, forget it, it's too late. You cannot walk away from the frying pan - like.I.did.:toetap05:

I was able to salvage some of them -- mostly the ones around the perimeter of the LC skillet - which I also managed to salvage - which was a good thing b/c I had already sacrificed a piece of LC cookware on the altar of AGA earlier this week when I was browning a pot roast in it - not realizing that THAT piece of LC was not made for the stove top.:cursing::banghead:

Back to the skillet and the honey, I scrubbed out what I could, put water in the skillet, and put it back on the burner and brought it to a boil. The honey softened, came to the top, and I poured out the water and the honey and the skillet looks like new.

The dates are keeping warm.....the ones I managed to save. I did try them......they are........um........interesting. Perhaps the togas will turn out better.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZpksfzhIaluVRaZfxvRdkVfpC4MiA9-OeP10YUOSVq-2bfL4&t=1&usg=__xa5Xjd8C4ztx7t6hL5gKuYY9O5I=

Psst.....I wouldn't suggest frying the togas.