Menu

Read Alouds-2nd grade girls

maryanne

I would like to make a list of great not-to-be-missed read alouds to read to my dd. She has good attention span and has already enjoyed several Box Car Children and several Little House books. I'm looking for the best of the classic children's literature appropriate for 2nd-3rd grade. What else should I read to her.

Thanks,

My DD is enjoying or has liked:

Charlotte's Web

The Narnia series

Black Beauty

Sarah Whitcher's story

and I know it isn't really classic but everybody here loved

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate diCamillo

Edited by sixpence1978
spelling :(

My dd has enjoyed:

The Little Princess

The Secret Garden

Alice in Wonderland

Wizard of Oz

Peter Pan

Not classics, in the sense that I had never heard of them before the movie "You've Got Mail"--in which Meg Ryan tearfully lists the books as she sits inside the evil Fox bookstore that closed down her store-- but REALLY delightful: Dancing Shoes and Ballet Shoes. We listened to both of these via audio books.

My dd has enjoyed:

Not classics, in the sense that I had never heard of them before the movie "You've Got Mail"--in which Meg Ryan tearfully lists the books as she sits inside the evil Fox bookstore-- but REALLY delightful: Dancing Shoes and Ballet Shoes. We listened to both of these via audio books.

Oh, how can you say those books aren't classics? They so are! :001_smile:

In addition to some of the other suggestions...

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

The Twenty-One Balloons

the entire canon of Roald Dahl

Arabel's Raven (a new discovery in our house)

Also, not a classic, but Cornelia Funke's Dragonrider was excellent and quite the hit in our house.

Oh, how can you say those books aren't classics? They so are!

LOL

I tried to qualify my statement by saying they weren't classics that I had heard of.

These are 2 of my dd's favorites. She actually re-checked "Dancing Shoes" and listened to the whole thing a second time. I think they are lovely and I always suggest them when someone wants a read-aloud for a girl, but they aren't ones that I hear about otherwise. Maybe because they haven't been made into Disney movies?

Ariel has enjoyed Nurse Matilda, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Raggedy Ann Stories, Black Beauty, Betsy-Tacy, King of the Wind, The Voyages of Dr. Doolittle, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles and The Waterbabies. As a child I LOVED Ballet Shoes and the Oz books (The Land of Oz, especially).

This year we're reading (2nd Year/grade):

Pinocchio

Dr. Dolittle (don't remember the complete title)

Pyle's Robin Hood

The Apple and the Arrow

The Door in the Wall

The Wind in the Willows

Follow My Leader

The Whipping Boy

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

The Shakespeare Stealer

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare

Next year, for Third, these are the titles I remember being on our reading list, off the top of my head:

Treasure Island

Little Lord Fauntleroy

The Little Princess

Tom Sawyer

Huckleberry Finn

Guest Alte Veste Academy
LOL

I tried to qualify my statement by saying they weren't classics that I had heard of.

These are 2 of my dd's favorites. She actually re-checked "Dancing Shoes" and listened to the whole thing a second time. I think they are lovely and I always suggest them when someone wants a read-aloud for a girl, but they aren't ones that I hear about otherwise. Maybe because they haven't been made into Disney movies?

I loved these books as a child. Thanks for reminding me that they are on my shelf. I can read them to dd now! Ballet Shoes has actually been made into a movie twice. Here is the most recent. It's also on Netflix instant. :)

Off the top of my head, I have to say my dd LOVES Kate Dicamillo books. We have read Because of Winn Dixie, The Tale of Despereaux (so, so much better than the movie, but aren't they always), and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. She likes the Mercy Watson books, too, for her to read. Tiger Rising is next...or Magician's Elephant, can't decide.