Menu

Can you tell me about Patty Paper Geometry?

wy_kid_wrangler04

When I have the funds, I'm going to add it in as a once-a-week activity. Dd is doing a combination of maths right now (some typical pre-algebra topics that she hadn't hit yet plus competition math books, moving to starting AoPS algebra December-ish) so I think a strong, non-proof geometry would be a good addition.

Well, I've bought it to use with Pre-Algebra, but I have yet to use it - I've been trying to find a good source of inexpensive patty paper! I can find the rectangular stuff cheap ($5 or so), but for some reason the square stuff I can only find for $9-12. I didn't buy it with the book because I was sure I'd be able to get it somewhere that sold it for hamburgers instead of geometry at a cheaper price. Anyone have any ideas?

Otherwise I'm just going to get it at Rainbow, as I have a couple of other things to buy there anyway...

I'm also eager to hear how it's working out for people who're already using it! :bigear:

I just started using this with my dd, 14, in connection with her formal geometry work. Although you can certainly use it with a younger kid because it isn't all that difficult intellectually, dd and I both sometimes get confused over the fold lines drawn in the workbook. Maybe we're both just not visual learners, but be prepared for some problems, at least initially, in figuring out which lines are which. Once you've got a bunch of folds in the paper it can be hard to keep your mind focused only on the relevant ones. You have to make other folds to get the perpendiculars, angles, etc., so it's best to trace over the relevant lines with a Sharpie or something to keep from being distracted or losing track of which lines and angles are the ones being talked about.

Thank you! Next question... Which order sounds better? My dd is doing pre-algebra now. Would you do PPG next or after Algebra 1?

Pre-Algebra

PPG

Algebra 1

Geometry?

Or

Pre-Algebra

Algebra 1

PPG

Geometry

We do math all year long so this is not going to take 4 years. She should be finishing Pre-Algebra late winter or early spring, then we would move onto the next. Thanks again :001_smile:

PPG is meant to be a supplement. We used it after we completed Algebra 1 last year. We focused solely on PPG and finished it in 3 months or so. With 20/20 hindsight, I think it would have been better had we used it throughout the year 1 day per week. It would be fine to add it in with Pre-Algebra and continue with it during Algebra if necessary.

As Karen stated, sometimes the fold lines gets a little confusing. It can be helpful to use a pencil or sharpie to draw over the fold lines at times.

Ds loved PPG. It was a very nice, hands-on introduction. This year, we are using Discovering Geometry by the same author and we are both enjoying it.

HTH!

PPG is meant to be a supplement. We used it after we completed Algebra 1 last year. We focused solely on PPG and finished it in 3 months or so. With 20/20 hindsight, I think it would have been better had we used it throughout the year 1 day per week. It would be fine to add it in with Pre-Algebra and continue with it during Algebra if necessary.

Ds loved PPG. It was a very nice, hands-on introduction. This year, we are using Discovering Geometry by the same author and we are both enjoying it.

I'm glad to hear this! I bought a copy of DG when I saw that it was by the same author as PPG, and I thought it looked fabulous even though it did not have good reviews on Amazon. I like your idea of using PPG one day/wk alongside Prealgebra/Algebra I, then moving into DG. I think that will work well here.

Jackie

As Karen stated, sometimes the fold lines gets a little confusing. It can be helpful to use a pencil or sharpie to draw over the fold lines at times.

HTH!

We supplement with LoF also, so if I had her finish LoF pre-algebra 1 and 2, then went onto PPG (along with her regular Chalkdust), then LoF algebra 1 do you think that would be a good way to do it? I guess what I am really wondering is if I have her do this at the same time as algebra would it be to much new information at once? I would have her do PPG 1x a week or so.

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

PPG is meant to be a supplement.
As per the author, it can be used as a supplement for high school or stand-alone for middle school. I like it for the latter because I think that jumping into proofy US-style geometry can get in the way of developing an intuitive feel of the subject, quite possibly because I'm the product of a school system that took a very different approach to Geometry (something more akin to NEM).

And thanks again for recommending this... we loved it.

We supplement with LoF also, so if I had her finish LoF pre-algebra 1 and 2, then went onto PPG (along with her regular Chalkdust), then LoF algebra 1 do you think that would be a good way to do it? I guess what I am really wondering is if I have her do this at the same time as algebra would it be to much new information at once? I would have her do PPG 1x a week or so.

I think 1x a week will be fine.

Is this a full curriculum? I have read that it is best to use the before high school geometry, when would you recommend it? With pre-algebra? Algebra 1? Somewhere inbetween? Anything you can tell me about this would be great! Thanks
Thank you for starting this thread! I was just coming on to research PPG to find more info. on it.

Here's another thread on it.
THANK YOU for sharing this link! What a fun and informative thread! Thank you to everyone who shared.......I guess. Course, it means I have to get this now! ;) :001_huh:

:D

Ours arrived today! I don't know that much about the program as a whole, but I've completed the first few exercises and think that this is a great way to make those geometry definitions very clear and easy to remember! There's patty paper all over my couch - fun, fun, fun!

Thank you for starting this thread! I was just coming on to research PPG to find more info. on it.

THANK YOU for sharing this link! What a fun and informative thread! Thank you to everyone who shared.......I guess. Course, it means I have to get this now! ;) :001_huh:

:D

Yes me to!!! Another math curriculum (ummm.. do NOT look at any previous threads I started a few months ago please :001_huh:)

Ours arrived today! I don't know that much about the program as a whole, but I've completed the first few exercises and think that this is a great way to make those geometry definitions very clear and easy to remember! There's patty paper all over my couch - fun, fun, fun!

:lol: I think :001_huh:. So I have a 4 year old son, am I going to regret this?? :D