Menu

Kind of a crazy question but has anyone had problems w/discoloration on the underarm

LadyR

My dd has recently seen a dermatologist because she had a rash and discoloration on her underarms. The doc said it was from shaving and had her use Sana Balm medicated powder two times a day. It's been a month and the rash is pretty much gone but the discoloration is not. She is very fair and her underarm is very noticeably brownish. It wouldn't be much of a problem if she wasn't a ballet dancer who is always in a leotard with her arms exposed. I don't know why but I'm not totally convinced the discoloration is from shaving. Anyone ever have this problem? Remedies?

Yes, I did!! I tried many things and the only thing that worked was switching to natural crystal deodorant (roll on)--and many days NO deodorant to give my skin a break! Then, I actually alternated a fragrance free lotion, which I know seems counterproductive to the underarm area, and a cream with hydroquinone, a skin lightening product. I got it cheap from Avon. It went away after about 2 months of this regimen.

I don't know if this is the best thing, but it's the only thing that worked for me after I exfoliated the heck out of my armpits, even did a skin peel! I think I was being too *harsh* and really just needed to treat it with the skin lightener and protect it as well with some lotion and no deodorant for a while.

I have had this problem during pregnancy and my doctor actually was quite concerned because underarm darkening can be a sign of diabetes.

Does your daughter have any other discoloration? Specifically, on the back of her neck? If so, then I would take her back to another doctor to seek out an underlying cause.

I STILL have underarm darkening. During times in my life where I have excessively sweated I have gotten Rx's for "Dry Sol" which is a mega-deodorant. I have to wear much less deodorant when I wear Dry-Sol, and I think that it helps a lot to not have all of that "gunk" under there all the time. However, Dry Sol can be VERY drying, and if the rashes are from drying, then I'd be weary of trying it.

I wish she could take a break from shaving and from using her deodorant/antiperspirant but she won't. I'm curious about the skin lightening product. I'll have to look in to that more. Diabetes does run on both sides of our family so I'll make sure she gets that checked next month at her physical.