Menu

How much reading are your kids doing

kwickimom

between silent, read-alouds, and assigned reading?

I am mainly just curious. I have SO many books I want my DD8 to read and I have trouble deciding how much and what to read first. I am mainly following WTM and I want her to read some of the SOTW supplements of course, but I also want some fun books and classics. She loves to listen in to my DS's read alouds and she likes to read to them. She loves to read, so its not like its "work" for her.

She is in 3rd and probably reads about an hour to an hour a half a day between assigned history readings, read a louds, and assigned chapters from some classics, etc.

My DS is a big reader, so it is not something I have worried about. He goes to bed at 7 each night and can read until 8, but he reads a lot more than that. Today being a Sunday I think he has spent about 6 hours with his nose in a book.

Instead of assigned reading, I have "mom's pile of books" Every time he reads one of those for the first time, he gets a sticker. When he hits 20 he gets a reward. For the most part that is our reading plan.

My DD has about 30 minutes of reading instruction with me a day, an hour of rest time/reading in the afternoon (which is when she does her Sonlight readers), we do read-alouds before bed for about 45 minutes to an hour, and she often reads for 2 hours or longer after that. Plus just plain reading for fun outside those times.

We're big readers in this house-it's the primary activity for both DH and I when we have any spare time at all, so she's been reading on her own since before she could read, just in imitation (and, in fact, I have no clue when she started reading for that reason-I assumed she was imitating us and memorizing books until she started reading signs and labels spontaneously).

My 4th grader probably reads less than an hour most days.

He started reading late (only really picked it up last year) and it is more important to me that he likes reading than that he reads lots.

He is assigned about 30 min a day and reads some more at bedtime. He also listens to read alouds another 30 min. or so a day.

My older two (as well as myself), on the other hand, would read all day! ;)

Guest Alte Veste Academy

DS7 reads on his own for pleasure from 1-2 hours a day. Assigned reading is approximately 30 minutes a day.

DD6 (newly 6) reads on her own about 1 hour a day. Assigned reading is about 15 minutes.

They all 3 listen to read-alouds approximately 1.5 hours per day, including school, poetry, and bedtime reading.

One dd (age 6) - about 1 hour daily of audio books (during breakfast and lunch, sometimes during crafts); read-alouds - history, science, literature is probably about 1 hour a day; she reads a chapter aloud to me each day (right now it's Owl at Home) and has silent reading 30 minutes in the afternoon and 30 minutes at bedtime.

My DS is a big reader, so it is not something I have worried about. He goes to bed at 7 each night and can read until 8, but he reads a lot more than that. Today being a Sunday I think he has spent about 6 hours with his nose in a book.

Instead of assigned reading, I have "mom's pile of books" Every time he reads one of those for the first time, he gets a sticker. When he hits 20 he gets a reward. For the most part that is our reading plan.

Ooh, that's a great idea! I think I'll be implementing that one tomorrow.

We do reading throughout the day, usually about 2-4 hours worth. They start reading their own books (not assigned, just books for fun) as soon as they're awake, and anytime they have a break. I sometimes read to them before nap time (yes, they still nap... thank God), plus my husband or I will read to them anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour before bed.

Currently, both my ds and dd are reading 3 or 4 books each. It's weird... I walk into their bathroom and they have books on the back of the toilet. I walk into the kitchen and there's books by the toaster, and there's always at least a dozen on the coffee table. My house looks like a library that's been hit by a tornado. They're everywhere!

My girls would rather read than do anything else (ds was the same but now he's very much into composing electronic music) so I never had to worry about time spent reading.

Dd10 (fifth grade by age) probably reads for fun about 2 hrs each day. She does whatever reading I have assigned as literature after we're done schooling, anywhere between 0-90 minutes depending on the day. We don't do readalouds (gasp!) though we do read bits and pieces of history and science outloud and she listens to various audio books while falling asleep each night.

On a day by day basis, it varies. But on my livejournal, on the sidebar to the right, I have links up to my daughter's "book log" for the year from 3rd grade, 4th grade, and her 5th grade one is "in progress" (as is my son's K log, which, of course, is read alouds only at this point), if you're interested in taking a peek.