Menu

I'd like to pick activities w/ dd's friend, but they are inconvenient.

I'm having a hard time balancing our schedule. We are friends with another family, whose children match up in age to mine. Their child-rearing habits and priorities are similar to ours.

They are going the private school route, so I've been making extra effort to maintain contact.

I looked at keeping them in dance together, but the studio is 25 minutes from our house and the hours are very inconvenient to get both my dd's in a class. We made the drive this year, but I was able to get both dd's at the same time to offset it. The alternative is a studio 5 minutes from our house.

I've also looked at doing the Bible Study they are doing (both are BSF.) Again, the drive is about 25 minutes and traffic and parking are worse. The alternative is 5 minutes from our house. They have school on the day that is closer to me.

Practically----There is no comparison in the time it will cost me and I'm trying not to overschedule things. Emotionally---I'm afraid that I will regret it when we are both so busy we can't get the kids together.

Can someone schedule this for me?:confused: Tell me which one I would regret the most.

I had this happen.

A friend and I met when our oldest were babies. We hit it off and the girls loved each other. She went the private school route and I homeschool. We had them in dance together for a while but both girls dropped out.

What we do is get together for birthday parties, a play date on school days off and go swimming together sometimes in the summer when school is out.

We don't get together very often but often enough that the girls have remainded friends.

Good Luck on finding a solution--it can be hard but hopefully you can find some way to maintain contact.:001_smile:

We have a very similar situation. Friends from the womb for two of ours with their two dc. The girls see eachother now at back to back piano lessons and occassional playdates (they are 9). The boys have a playdate maybe once a month (7). They will go to camp this summer together at a family camp that we attend later in the summer. The girls have done this for the fourth year now and this will be the first year for the boys. It is challenging, but we want to see their friendships continue and so far it has worked.

If you are trying to pick between dance and BSF I would say BSF but that is just my opinion, I can't dance :glare:.

If you are trying to pick between dance and BSF I would say BSF but that is just my opinion, I can't dance .

Me either. About the dancing. My dd tries to give me dance lessons.:001_smile: step. passe. step. passe.

The question is whether we will make the drive to do either of them with the other family or stay close to home.

I'm having a hard time transitioning from my gaggle of stay-at-home moms. Many of my friends are going back to work as their kiddos go to school.

My kids' best friends are in school. We live 40 minutes away. I make the effort to get together with them any time I can, even when I think the extra effort is going to put me over the edge.

For me, it is absolutely worth it.

I guess I'm the odd one out because personally I don't try that hard get together. I do what works for my family and not plan around other people. We have quite a few friends that the kids see on a regular basis at church, they have all made various friends at co-op, but I do not try to pursue things outside of that. It's just too hard. I'd try and just arrange play days once a month so that you and the mom can visit and let the kids play.

Kristine

I'd try and just arrange play days once a month so that you and the mom can visit and let the kids play.

That's how we do it as well. With one family we actually schedule six month's worth of playdates or weekend get-togethers/activities in advance to make sure that we do get to see each other regularly.

I'd prefer to have the activities closer to home and make the extra effort to see special friends at other times.

Could you arrange it with the other family that one day YOU are going far to let the kids have a class together - and the other class/event THEY have to come to the site close to YOU?

OR - do not worry about having a class together - in a class, the kids should be paying attention to the teacher/class, not having social time. I'd invest all that driving for plain 'ol playdates or events planned just for the kids, not a class - esp. not when you have a closer, more convenient (for you) option,