Menu

Judomom: Could you explain how you use Sonlight (just History/Lit portion)? thx

daisychics

Just read your post on another thread and didn't want to ask you there. :D I'm interested in using their History/Lit program as well but I don't know how to go about doing that. I really need something that has everything laid out for me and I need it fast. :auto: History is the part I'm not good at and we love read-alouds and just plain reading in this house. Would this be a good program for us to try?

Thank you.

We're using Sonlight 6 this year, and will use 7 next year.

I bought the IG from Sonlight and all of the history, read-loud, and readers (mostly from Amazon and Rainbow, and since I already had a handful of them I saved nearly $200). I didn't buy the LA IG or the Science IG--the main IG has Bible (which we're skipping because I didn't like the book they use much), History, Readers, and Read Alouds scheduled, along with teaching notes, questions, and book summaries.

I've got to say that we are loving it this year. I added in the Map Trek maps from Knowledge Quest (I didn't like SL's geography) using KQ's Curriculum Integration Guides. It's very pick-up and go, and my boys love the books. Since 6 & 7 schedule the 4 SOTW books, even my younger guys are enjoying it.

I don't really know anything about the other levels :001_smile:.

You can buy just the History and Reader stuff. That is all we did these past few years. We love it. I rarely have to plan anything. I do add in History pockets if available for the time period and with American this year(we are doing Core 3) I bought a craft kit to do. Otherwise it's easy to do once you get your notebook set up the way you like.

You can buy just the History and Reader stuff. That is all we did these past few years. We love it. I rarely have to plan anything. I do add in History pockets if available for the time period and with American this year(we are doing Core 3) I bought a craft kit to do. Otherwise it's easy to do once you get your notebook set up the way you like.

Hi Tess!

I wanted to make sure there was a plan I could follow. :D I guess that's the IG. Is there an IG just for History or is the IG for all the subjects? Well - gonna go on their website and take a look.

We're using Sonlight 6 this year, and will use 7 next year.

I bought the IG from Sonlight and all of the history, read-loud, and readers (mostly from Amazon and Rainbow, and since I already had a handful of them I saved nearly $200). I didn't buy the LA IG or the Science IG--the main IG has Bible (which we're skipping because I didn't like the book they use much), History, Readers, and Read Alouds scheduled, along with teaching notes, questions, and book summaries.

I've got to say that we are loving it this year. I added in the Map Trek maps from Knowledge Quest (I didn't like SL's geography) using KQ's Curriculum Integration Guides. It's very pick-up and go, and my boys love the books. Since 6 & 7 schedule the 4 SOTW books, even my younger guys are enjoying it.

I don't really know anything about the other levels :001_smile:.

Thanks for the info....I'm off to their website.

I really appreciate it. :D

I buy the history IG and reader level guide I need. The reader one is cheap. If you want to buy all the books from them that is larger price you see. But you can get just the IG's and use the library and amazon or whatnot to get the books.

I don't have to plan history. We open and read. My kids have always enjoyed History and sitting together and reading. We don't have a couch this year in the schoolroom and we miss it! History is going to move upstairs so we can sit together and read :-)

Anyway, that is one subject we enjoy having planned out for us. It gets done. I did buy the science this year. Have my likes and dislikes but so far we are sticking with it.

So Tess or JudoMom, in your opinion, if someone was just reading through all the same books that were in Core 6, not following the IG schedule (or even having the IG schedule), would their kids get the same thing out of it that yours are?

Here's why I ask... A couple years back I got an IG, and we were going to follow it, but we found that it felt like too little reading; We wanted to do more. At first I kept with the "schedule" (which aggravated us), and then we tried reading just a bit more, but then it seemed to conflict with other parts of the schedule (like the comprehension questions). So, is it okay to not follow the IG, but to skip around and read as much as you want to?

So Tess or JudoMom, in your opinion, if someone was just reading through all the same books that were in Core 6, not following the IG schedule (or even having the IG schedule), would their kids get the same thing out of it that yours are?

Here's why I ask... A couple years back I got an IG, and we were going to follow it, but we found that it felt like too little reading; We wanted to do more. At first I kept with the "schedule" (which aggravated us), and then we tried reading just a bit more, but then it seemed to conflict with other parts of the schedule (like the comprehension questions). So, is it okay to not follow the IG, but to skip around and read as much as you want to?

(Not either of the above, but I'll offer my 2 cents!)

You could definitely read the books without the IG... you'd have to figure out the chronological order of them since SL doesn't give that info out without buying the IG. If you're not using the comprehension questions, you would only need the IG if you're going to read them in order. If you're going to "skip around" as you indicated above, there's really no need at all.

Now, the comprehension questions aren't scheduled in the IG at all. The reading is... but it's sort of up to you to use the reader guides or read-aloud guides as you wish. The reader guides have comprehension questions, and the read aloud guides have a lot more meat (vocab, cultural literacy questions, mapping, timelines, etc.). We rarely stick to the schedule in terms of how much is read each day (my younger one stays closer to the schedule because she doesn't like to read - my older one always reads ahead). We just stick to the *order* of the books so that the flow makes sense.

It sounds like you might be able to find a used IG, pick up the books you want from the library or Amazon, and have some freedom to use the resources in the guide however you want. We usually leave out a handful of books, so most years I've done it that way. Only twice did I buy full cores, and the only benefit to that is that you can return them and they give you 18 weeks to decide. I actually took advantage of that once, so I was glad I bought the whole shebang. ;)

I think the IG I purchased years ago had the readers listed in the same IG as history, bible, language arts... So it must have been an old one.

Okay, so let me see if I got this right? The history IG is separate from the readers/read-aloud guides? And the guides have the comprehension questions, vocabulary, etc. in them? Is it *necessary* to follow the stories chronologically?

Right now we're reading a ton, and most of the books are Sonlight books, so I figured, why not just follow the cores? I'm just not sure whether it'll actually jive without us using an IG, or going over the comprehension questions. Usually my kids are really good about asking questions if they don't understand something, and they'll retell the stories for days afterward, so I know they're getting it. Would we really need the Reader guides then?

Aarrggh! I'm making myself crazy! I think I'm just terrified that we're going to miss something.

Guest aquiverfull
I think the IG I purchased years ago had the readers listed in the same IG as history, bible, language arts... So it must have been an old one.

Okay, so let me see if I got this right? The history IG is separate from the readers/read-aloud guides? And the guides have the comprehension questions, vocabulary, etc. in them? Is it *necessary* to follow the stories chronologically?

Right now we're reading a ton, and most of the books are Sonlight books, so I figured, why not just follow the cores? I'm just not sure whether it'll actually jive without us using an IG, or going over the comprehension questions. Usually my kids are really good about asking questions if they don't understand something, and they'll retell the stories for days afterward, so I know they're getting it. Would we really need the Reader guides then?

Aarrggh! I'm making myself crazy! I think I'm just terrified that we're going to miss something.

I'm not using SL, but considered it this year. The only reason I'm replying is because the comment about there being a separate "Read Aloud guide" got me curious as well. We also used SL a few years ago and it was just one guide with everything in it for the history portion, readers, and read-alouds. I think they have reader guides for younger grades but I thought those didn't go past the 2nd or 3rd levels?? I'm confused too.

My IG has the History/Read aloud/Reader schedule all in one. I chose to buy the IG this year and I am so glad I did! We don't follow the reader schedule as is but I love questions for the read alouds. We are using Core 3&4 and it is wonderful! Some weeks we are ahead and that is ok as you can still use the questions and the flow of history. My boys love the timeline and mapping. I am sure there are mamas out there who can do it on their own but I like a roadmap, even if we choose our own turn here and there...

HTH!

Christa

If you buy the IG, it comes with Read Aloud guides, Reader guides and History guides and schedules all of them.

You *can* buy a Reader package separately that comes with a schedule, but that's only for 2Adv and below. The other levels you have to get the IG to get the reader schedule. OR if you buy the LA, that has a Reader schedule included... no comp questions, but there will be dictation/copywork from the books and some writing assignments tied in to the readers.

I'm doing Sonlight core 6 this year and will do 7 next year too. I am doing history and LA this year, but last year I did history, all the reading and added my own LA.

I love the Sonlight schedule. I think you can only get the reader schedule for Cores below 3. Once they start making the readers relate to the history, then you have to buy the whole IG.

I always buy my IG used here. My Core 6 including LA cost just over $100 this year. That includes lots of books and the rest I will get from the library. We do Sonlight on the cheap.

I don't really thing you get the same thing if you just buy the books. You miss mapping & timeline as well as LA assignments and worksheets. If you aren't doing LA, then you can just read the books and add your own mapping and timeline and you'd have everything. I don't use the teacher notes in the IG much at all. I read everything the kids do and we discuss naturally. Sometimes the core points out something that I like and I throw it in the discussion, but not that much.

We have done 3, 5 and 6/7 but I just get the books and read them aloud (or assign reading) and as things come up in the books we'll have on-the-spot discussions. But I find no need to test my kids and would rather have a discussion with them than have them answer a page of questions. We are VERY secular and LOVE Sonlight. I just don't buy the "goddy" books.

I love having it all scheduled for me. I love that the readers and read-alouds are coordinated to what we're reading in SOTW & in the Usborne Internet Encyclopedia. I also love that it has a bit of poetry scheduled for me to read each day. I use the timeline notes, and that's going well. I don't really use any of the teacher notes or comprehension questions.

It wouldn't be the same for us if I didn't have the schedule. With SL6, there's about 30 minutes of history reading, 30 minutes of read-aloud reading, and 30 minutes of independent reading. In 6, nearly all of the books coordinate with the history readings (unlike lower cores), which is why I think the schedule works so well for us.

Wow - I think I'm ready to order Core 3+4 today. This is what I have in my cart:

1. Core 3+4 IG

2. The Story of USA books 1-4

3. Book of Time

4. Tabs for 11.99

Is that good? Am I missing anything? I'm planning on getting the other reader books from the library.

THANKS for your help.

you might want the timeline figures? If you're using Landmark, you'll want to buy that since you use it all year, even if you pick it up used on Amazon.

Love 3+4! Have fun with it!!

(Not either of the above, but I'll offer my 2 cents!)

You could definitely read the books without the IG... you'd have to figure out the chronological order of them since SL doesn't give that info out without buying the IG. If you're not using the comprehension questions, you would only need the IG if you're going to read them in order. If you're going to "skip around" as you indicated above, there's really no need at all.

If you *do* want to read them in close to the order S/L suggets, you could look at their catalog. After each book title in their print catalog there is a 1, 2 or 3 in a circle. That # corresponds to which trimester (1st, 2nd or 3rd 12-week period) that book will be read. If there are 2 circled #'s, the first one is for the 4-day schedule and the 2nd one is for the 5-day schedule.

Don't have a print catalog? You can browse online or download one here. (It's 164 pages.)

Love 3+4! Have fun with it!!

We love it here. We're using it after having had a very successful year with another curriculum last year. I wasn't sure if I'd be happy with my choice to use SL this year. But, this core is really fabulous. My son is really enjoying it. And, my son who isn't officially using it still sits in on all the readings and loves them. I use the IG and love the Landmark book. I wouldn't skip it.

We love it here. We're using it after having had a very successful year with another curriculum last year. I wasn't sure if I'd be happy with my choice to use SL this year. But, this core is really fabulous. My son is really enjoying it. And, my son who isn't officially using it still sits in on all the readings and loves them. I use the IG and love the Landmark book. I wouldn't skip it.

The Landmark History of the American People is part of the Core 3+4? It didn't say anything about it on the website. Thank you for clarifying.

Oh, should I also get American Adventures? :confused:

I love having it all scheduled for me. I love that the readers and read-alouds are coordinated to what we're reading in SOTW & in the Usborne Internet Encyclopedia. I also love that it has a bit of poetry scheduled for me to read each day. I use the timeline notes, and that's going well. I don't really use any of the teacher notes or comprehension questions.

It wouldn't be the same for us if I didn't have the schedule. With SL6, there's about 30 minutes of history reading, 30 minutes of read-aloud reading, and 30 minutes of independent reading. In 6, nearly all of the books coordinate with the history readings (unlike lower cores), which is why I think the schedule works so well for us.

I guess I feel exactly the opposite. I do not need them to line anything up for me. So I arranged the books chronologically and stopped buying the IGs at all. ACtually for core 6 and 7 I think they did a poor job iwth book choice as well. For the second year in a row I can not really say Sl is a good fit.

Chronological list here

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AadGkQVO_3C8ZGM5N3RwNW5fM2Mya2JwdGY3&hl=en

The Landmark History of the American People is part of the Core 3+4? It didn't say anything about it on the website. Thank you for clarifying.

Yes, that is really your main spine book. You will also need the four Story of the USA books. Core 3+4 does not schedule American Adventures though you may enjoy it anyways. We just started and I'm already adding in books from Core 3 that Core 3+4 omits. It really helps with ordering if you have the print catalog in front of you.

Yes, that is really your main spine book. You will also need the four Story of the USA books. Core 3+4 does not schedule American Adventures though you may enjoy it anyways. We just started and I'm already adding in books from Core 3 that Core 3+4 omits. It really helps with ordering if you have the print catalog in front of you.

Thank you! I just got the catalog today.

Landmark History is the main "spine" and is used throughout. It's heavy, and a lot of people ditch it, especially if their kids are on the younger end of the spectrum. Mine was in 5th grade and she read it on her own for the most part. I think it's worth getting and seeing if it's a good fit for your family.

American Adventures is light and fun. I got mine for $1 each on Amazon.

I switched to SL and really, really appreciate that schedule.

We ordered the cores because I am completely burnt on relying on the library.

It was expensive but we are learning alot and I am actually enjoying homeschooling again because we are reading together, and I don't have to spend Sunday afternoons making schedules :):):););)