Menu

Alternatives to The Scarlet Letter?

The Notgrass U.S. History we're using has The Scarlet Letter as the literature selection for the section we're in right now...anyone have a comparable alternative to suggest (i.e., with regard to time period, Puritanism, etc.)?

I just didn't enjoy the book, and I'm bored to tears by Hawthorne in general.

We read The Witch of Blackbird Pond last year, so that's out. I can't seem to come up with a good alternative on my own, so please help!

Thanks for the ideas...I'll check them out. I forgot about The Crucible.

I know SL is on just about everyone's must-read list, but I'd rather save that for when they're a little older. I appreciate the symbolism, but I just don't enjoy that book. Maybe I'll enjoy his short story more.:001_smile:

And when you've read The Crucible (excellent choice), definitely see the movie starring Daniel Day-Lewis. It's amazing. Then again, Daniel D-L always is. But that's another thread. :tongue_smilie:

I am totally taking notes because we are still a couple of years away from doing American Lit. I'm not sure my son will find Daniel Day appealing but I know I will enjoying watching it immensely. :lol:

I am totally taking notes because we are still a couple of years away from doing American Lit. I'm not sure my son will find Daniel Day appealing but I know I will enjoying watching it immensely. :lol:

Well, he may not find Daniel appealing in the same way that, um, some women do :leaving:but it's hard to beat Daniel's performance as John Proctor. Everyone in the movie is excellent, but he is, IMHO, so passionate and amazing in this role that I could watch it daily if the movie weren't so intense and sad. And my dd loved Scarlet Letter. It's just that I had her read The Crucible also because 1) I wanted her to watch the film because she loves film and 2) I knew she'd be interested in Arthur Miller's philosophy about comparing the Salem witch trials to "Communist witch hunting" in the 40s.

I'm going to put a plug in for the Scarlet Letter. We listened to it via a podcast called Craftlit. The woman is an English teacher and also loves to craft. For my kids I just fast forward past the craft talk and listen to her commentary on the book and the reading aloud of the book. It really enhanced our enjoyment of this book. We just began each day by listening to the book and podcast.

You can find it at Craftlit.com or subscribe on itunes. It's free and I've really enjoyed all the books that she's done!

By the way, we loved watching "The Crucible", too.

How about The Blithedale Romance? I would have loved Hawthorne much more in high school if we'd read that instead of The Scarlet Letter. The scene where they pull the grotesquely stiffened Zenobia out of the swamp seems much more geared to appeal to high school interests than the Rev. Dimmesdale's Puritanical self-loathing.

Daniel Day-Lewis, hmmmm...

Oh, yeah, so ANYWAY...

I got out a bunch of Hawthorne's short stories and they seem much more palatable to me. I think we'll do Minister's Black Veil AND Young Goodman Brown. We'll use The Crucible later, maybe to connect with this idea:

The Crucible also because 1) I wanted her to watch the film because she loves film and 2) I knew she'd be interested in Arthur Miller's philosophy about comparing the Salem witch trials to "Communist witch hunting" in the 40s.

I agree that SL is worth reading. I just can't get excited about it right now, especially after recently finishing Great Expectations ( as our *fun* read-aloud), which I LOVE. It's hard for me to jump from what I consider a great book to one I frankly have to force myself to get through...sorry, all of you SL lovers!:D