Menu

Just had dinner w/ my college student son

Blue Hen

DH's birthday is soon so being close to DS' campus DS and his room mate joined us for dinner. Oh my, it was so nice. DS is really enjoying campus life. Finding time to go bowling, running with others, play volleyball and just stand around and talk and talk. His room mate said that DS talks with everyone! Very social. At one point DS and his room mate shared stories about the items they have temporary lost.....ds was quite proud that he has only lost one item--the day planner he had finally decided to go purchase cause he really needed one---and from all accounts fitting in quite well. At one point his room mate asked DS to please introduce him to the kids on the other floors cause DS has been adopted by them. [And I was worried that DS wouldn't fit in.]

The two guys are getting along quite well and not running into conflicts. At least I haven't heard of any :) :)

DS has had 2 English papers graded so far: both 10/10s, and is taking a test tomorrow to see if he can skip his present computer science class and move to the next level. He's looking into switching over to CS Engineering and doing a couple dual major/minors. He also shared that he is investigating traveling with Engineers w/out borders this winter term. How quickly kids change. Just 2 weeks ago he dismissed my suggestion that he look into a study aboard winter term. That's fine. I'd like to see him take advantage of opportunities rather than just dismiss them cause he thinks the cost is prohibitive. He left us to go study chemistry and get a good night's sleep. Oct 15th is the next time we're supposed to see him.

Good visit. Close but far away too.

Carole

Edited by Blue Hen

Carole,

Isn't it great that ds gets a great college close to home? I lived on campus at our flagship state university with parents, grandparents and other relatives still in town. I loved it. I truly had a great, full campus experience but loved it when my parents took me out to dinner! And then still being able to get together for family events was also very special.

Enjoy!

Lisa

What a delight, and thanks for sharing! Isn't it wonderful when our kids are doing well and enjoying the journey into adulthood> I got to speak with DS yesterday - he is in TX and I am in CA. It was wonderful to hear his voice after mostly texting for the last couple of weeks. We won't see him until mid-December, but I rejoice that he is happy and doing well and making friends! Enjoy your son and DH's birthday!

Blessings,

April

It is Lisa. DS called me this afternoon--a rarity that he calls---and he just chatted and chatted. He also asked if it was OK if he came home. Just for an afternoon. I just about fell over cause he had no plans to do this. He said he wants to see his dogs and pick up a few items.

Carole

Carole,

Isn't it great that ds gets a great college close to home? I lived on campus at our flagship state university with parents, grandparents and other relatives still in town. I loved it. I truly had a great, full campus experience but loved it when my parents took me out to dinner! And then still being able to get together for family events was also very special.

Enjoy!

Lisa

My ds is about an hour away, living in dorms. He comes home on the weekends and visits with us, goes to church with us, etc. It feels perfect to me! One strange thing though, is how we all rush to tidy up before he gets home. It's almost like we're prepping for company. Feels weird!