Menu

Review of Algebra, Geometry and Algebra 2

My son is in 9th grade and taking Algebra 2. I am thinking about using his 10th grade year to review Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 to make sure that his foundation for higer math is solid. My question is has anyone else done this? If so, what curriculum did you use? If you haven't done this, but you have a suggestion, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Deanna

You could also use a different curricula and whip through it. Or you could do something really strong in theory & in long problems such as Gelfand's Algebra along with a rigourous Geometry. Gelfand's is fairly inexpensive, and some of us here have the solution guide that Adrian used to have posted online that we could send you via email.

Someone in my family needed to review before taking the GMAT or some such college exam for a master's in accounting.

I lent her my Math Relief algebra video curriculum and she said it was helpful. (As a side note, even though I unfortunately didn't tell her I had only sent phase 1 of 3, and she needed the later quadratic formula and such, still the earlier parts did help her get back into algebraic thinking at that level.) Mr. Firebaugh is very gifted in making Algebra logical, and the video is a nice way to go through the content.

Just one idea.

The Teaching Company has some great dvd's on maths, starting with basic math on up. My dd had a very bad experience with a certain curriculum, so in trying to get her confidence back, I got the Basic math review, which goes from arithmetic (very short), through some Algebra and Geometry. It's REALLY good, as it is explaining not just how, but why, and how it would relate to other aspects! I'm pleased as punch with it, and dd IS gaining her confidence back! It's filling in the gaps, and helping her be stronger in the maths area. Once she's done with that, I think she'll be able to whip through Agebra 1 and head into Algebra 2!

Your ds probably doesn't need that level, but you could check out TTC's offerings on the maths and see what each one covers. These teachers are GREAT, and explain things sooo very well. Wish I would've known about these before! I got the Basic math when they had their August sale. They're not on sale now, but will be again next summer.

My son is in 9th grade and taking Algebra 2. I am thinking about using his 10th grade year to review Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 to make sure that his foundation for higer math is solid. My question is has anyone else done this? If so, what curriculum did you use? If you haven't done this, but you have a suggestion, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,

Deanna

Does he need the review? If not, I'd move him right along. It looks like dual enrollment at a cc might be in his future for college level math.

A good way to review (but not learn the first time) is by using ALEKS. He could do their Geometry and Algebra II courses. But it probably wouldn't take a year, more like a few months.

My other suggestion would be to take a look at the Art of Problem solving books and classes.

Singapore Math NEM 4 is essentially a review of Alg1, Alg2 and Geometry. It may include some statistics, number theory and a bit of trig since the NEM series that it is a review of contains these also. It might work well for you depending on the curriculum that you used for the other courses...the reason I qualify this is because Singapore Math sometimes uses a little different terminology and symbols.

http://www.khanAcademy.com

has a student-pace option.

Aleks has a Free Month offer.

Those are freebies that might be good for at least a month or so of concentrated, focused review, such as dediated so-many-minutes per day to the math, and just see how far along the student progresses.

With Aleks, the students do tend to choose the easy stuff to master first, but that might give you an idea of what topics they tend to avoid ;) (the more difficult skills)

Khan is free online all the time, always there for now, for later, etc.

:seeya:

Well, I think that is called pre-calculus, isn't it? ;) I get that you are trying to slow him down, lol. . .

We'll be using ThinkWell or Life of Fred for PreCalc when the time comes.

But, for something more basic than that. . . if you haven't used Life of Fred yet, it could be a nice way to review w/o doing something so much the same as what he's done before. Perhaps use LoF Advanced Alg & LoF Geometry? They would go quickly since they'll be review, so you could presumably do both in a year fairly easily.

(I can't imagine needing to review Alg 1 right after doing Alg 2 successfully, as Alg 2 would presumably have all built on Alg 1, and thus been reviewing it constantly. . .)