Menu

Help! Need to make costume for Robin Hood play...

DS11 is the deputy in the Robin Hood play they're doing. Are there a few simple pieces of clothing I could make his costume? I've thought of making a simple cloak (brown felt) and we have a toy sword/dagger thing somewhere but I can't think of anything else.

He assures me that as deputy, there is no way he is going to wear tights. Rats. I was going to enjoy that :lol:

A tunic/tabard is easy to make. Basically a long rectangle as wide as his shoulders and long enough to cover front and back to his hips when belted. Cut out a neck hole and a slit down the front enough to get his head through, and you're golden! It's up to you if you want to paint heraldic symbols on it!

LOL One of my sons was Robin Hood at age 14, and one of my sons was Prince Charming at the same age. Robin wore green tights and a green tunic, and PC wore a white tunic with white 'knee socks' & black sweats bunched up at the knee. They were awesome costumes. lol :) Hey, when one is featured, one deals with whatever the director demands.

Once for a costume we did lots of layers. For layer one we altered a t shirt by cutting off the neck "cuff" cutting a slit in the front, making holes with a scissors and lacing it up. I think we used brown or dark grey.

The next layer was a tunic made from an altered thrift store suit coat. We cut off the sleeves and lapels and fastened the front with leather strips from one side to the other. This was long on ds and belted. I think he just wore black jeans.

I know these "instructions" sound odd LOL...I guess my point is simply: go for layers and don't forget the possibility of chopping up some thrift store goodies!

To me, Robin Hood is all about dressing in green and & *having the iconic Robin Hood hat*! This type of hat is not hard to make, we actually all made them as a craft activity in our SOTW co-op out of felt, it only took about half an hour. Here are two links to free patterns, the first is very simple, the second is more accurate looking:

http://home.clara.net/arianrhod/Aldebaran/DoItYourself/Hat03.html

http://www.jamboree.freedom-in-education.co.uk/w%27s%20craft%20corner/acting%20props.htm

You can cut the sleeves off of a long, overized green t-shirt and layer it over a tan or green longsleeved shirt, get some green tights and leather shoes, throw a leather belt on, throw a feather in your hat, and you're good to go!

I agree with layers and thrifting.

Natural fabrics make a more "historical" look.

Men's business shirts, belted at the waist, make a nice tunic. Go for a natural fabric in a brown or tan. Cut the collar off just above the collar band. Make sure it's oversized so it will "poof". Roll up the sleeves. Choose a leather belt with a nice big buckle that has an "aged" look about it.

Layer a vest on top, if you can find a "natural" looking one, or choose another shirt and cut off the sleeves.

Accessories make the outfit. Find a "pouch" type of bag with a strap that goes across the body. Again, natural fabrics - leather, linen.

A hat will make the look perfect - but I'm not sure if a deputy is a good guy or a bad guy, so I can't advise on that one! Robin Hood-esque hats are easy to make of felt - we've made them in blue or red for Robin's friends.

Leather sandals are ideal, or perhaps boots. If not, a black leather shoe is better than a more modern sneaker.

Sometimes a broach or pin of some kind can make the outfit - pin it to the hat with a feather behind it.

If the character is a bad guy (that is, the non-Robin Hood side), a cravat might be nice, or a cape of some sort, worn sort of off to one side. (A rectangle of fabric sewn to a length of grosgrain ribbon makes a quick one.)

Duh, I obviously need to go to bed instead of posting on forums! I see that you have a deputy to clothe, not Robin Hood. Well, I'm afraid to say that this may not get him out of the tights-wearing! I'm pretty sure that all men wore tights in those days. If you ever want to geek out on the subject of medieval garb, visit an SCA site or event (Society for Creative Anachronism) they have a lot of support for people making their own medieval garb, including newbies that just want something quick.

one of my kids was Robin Hood last year for Halloween. I made the costume basically with stuff that we had doing what other posters suggested.

BELIEVE it or not, we walked into Target the night before Halloween and there in the women's department was the PERFECT Robin Hood hat. We used a longer feather on it, and EVERYONE knew that DD was Robin Hood.

The hat will not be as hard to find as you might think.