Menu

Geographic tongue anyone????

My son gets this...is that where the tongue actually "peels" like a sunburn? He gets it after he eats sour candy and my doctor said it was because he had "geographic tongue." His resolves on its own after a few days.

Mine doesn't peel. Mine gets very, very red and swollen and has cracks in it. It actually looks like its been sunburned, but it doesn't peel. Eating spicy things, brushing my teeth, drinking wine, etc. all make it much worse. Mine comes and goes and I'm just sick of it!!! I really like good, spicy food. I love wine. I haven't been able to eat it without my tongue getting these cracks and sores for a while now. Mine does seem to cycle. I have good and bad days. But, I just want it to go away!!!And, I want to eat good food again!

PS. I know you'll understand, as a fellow hypochondriac - I am actually relieved at the diagnosis. I was sure I was dying of cancer!! But, I'm frustrated by the symptoms!

My middle had this. Her doc said it was related to her toxicity level. Sure enough, as we have worked to detox her, it has gone away. Her tongue is pink and healthy now. Alot of it was related to her not *ahem* pooping often enough. ;)

Interesting. What did he do to detox her? I don't seem to have the same, um, "issue" as your dd (tmi- I know! LOL). But, I'd love to hear about it!

Well the main thing for her was to get her "going" daily. She took (and still takes) magnesium citrate daily so she doesnt' stop up. Plus we took her off gluten & sugar (among other things but those were the biggies) and treated her for yeast. Those were the basics. :)

I have it! It's bothered me off and on since after the birth of son #3...not saying it is related, just when I first noticed it.

I've had it almost constantly this pregnancy. My vitamins I take as part of my prenatal cocktail are a B-complex, so I'm sure mine isn't related to a B deficiency. I've read that it can be triggered by stress. I fully believe that is my issue.

When I have really bad issues with it, as in blisters forming on the edge of my tongue so it is excruciating if my tongue touches my teeth, DH (an MD) suggests swishing Benedryl in my mouth for a few minutes. That does seem to help long enough so I can at least get to sleep at night.

Otherwise, I just try to avoid acidic, spicy, and salty foods :(

I'm dreading my first post-partum dental appt. Tooth paste and mouthwash have been used at an absolute minimum this pregnancy!

Well the main thing for her was to get her "going" daily. She took (and still takes) magnesium citrate daily so she doesnt' stop up. Plus we took her off gluten & sugar (among other things but those were the biggies) and treated her for yeast. Those were the basics. :)

Wyndie, how do you treat for yeast? My youngest daughter has this on her tongue, and she has digestive issues too, but hers is too loose. I can't imagine going off gluten, but I can eliminate sugar. I can try to reduce gluten, but I don't think I can totally eliminate without a big upset in the family.

Wyndie, how do you treat for yeast? My youngest daughter has this on her tongue, and she has digestive issues too, but hers is too loose. I can't imagine going off gluten, but I can eliminate sugar. I can try to reduce gluten, but I don't think I can totally eliminate without a big upset in the family.

Nystatin and dyflucan were the RXs we used for a long time, but we also eat fermented foods and and drinks. I find the foods and drinks to be more effective than the RXs. Fermented foods/drinks are probiotics so they're a more "full bodied" treatment plus they start working on the yeast right in the mouth whereas pills only get what is in the stomach.

There was much unhappiness in our house when I took gluten out. DH still eats some, I don't try to control what he eats but with the kids, they eat what I cook b/c there is no other option. ;) Educating them on what gluten does really helps. They don't complain about it anymore although they did for awhile.

I wonder if doing a trial of gluten-free with your kids would help? Set a timeline of say, 3 months and see what happens. If there's a time when it will be reintroduced, they may be less likely to complain about it and they may decide they feel better (or not) without it in their diets. I would certainly give it a try with the one with loose stools for sure.

But that's just my 2 cents. :D

Nystatin and dyflucan were the RXs we used for a long time, but we also eat fermented foods and and drinks. I find the foods and drinks to be more effective than the RXs. Fermented foods/drinks are probiotics so they're a more "full bodied" treatment plus they start working on the yeast right in the mouth whereas pills only get what is in the stomach.

There was much unhappiness in our house when I took gluten out. DH still eats some, I don't try to control what he eats but with the kids, they eat what I cook b/c there is no other option. ;) Educating them on what gluten does really helps. They don't complain about it anymore although they did for awhile.

I wonder if doing a trial of gluten-free with your kids would help? Set a timeline of say, 3 months and see what happens. If there's a time when it will be reintroduced, they may be less likely to complain about it and they may decide they feel better (or not) without it in their diets. I would certainly give it a try with the one with loose stools for sure.

But that's just my 2 cents. :D

I'm going to start out eliminating sugar and adding liquid acidophilus (swished in mouth before swallowing), and re-evaluate in 1 month. I can't imagine eliminating gluten. :confused: You are a brave and strong woman! I read your blog. You have an amazing story/ies.

Edited by JenniferB
spelling

I'm going to start out eliminating sugar and adding liquid acidolophus (swished in mouth before swallowing), and re-evaluate in 1 month. I can't imagine eliminating gluten. :confused: You are a brave and strong woman! I read your blog. You have an amazing story/ies.

One step at a time!! That may be as far as you need to go. *fingers crossed* It's a good place to start IMO. :)

And thank you, that's so sweet of you to say. :grouphug:

Wow! I cannot believe how many people have this. My 4 yr old dd has had this since birth. I had never heard of it before she had it. It doesn't seem to bother her much. If she eats oranges or drinks orange juice, it burns a little. Other than that, she just has funny paterns on her tongue most of the time. I have researched this to make sure that it is not dangerous, and I haven't found anything bad.

I have this sometimes, since my 2nd dd was born. Pineapple and walnuts set it off big time, and I think it may be connected to a slight allergy to those things...although I used to eat them without problems before. Also using mouthwash makes it flare up.

Don't know if it's related, but when it started I used to have frequent yeast infections too; those have gone away since cutting WAY back on sugar.

Wow! I cannot believe how many people have this. My 4 yr old dd has had this since birth. I had never heard of it before she had it. It doesn't seem to bother her much. If she eats oranges or drinks orange juice, it burns a little. Other than that, she just has funny paterns on her tongue most of the time. I have researched this to make sure that it is not dangerous, and I haven't found anything bad.

In a baby it might be thrush.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/tc/thrush-topic-overview

• 2 weeks later...

Geographic tongue, is called such due to the lines and small fissures looking like a geographical map.

When I worked in a dental office, it wasn't uncommon to see it. It happens frequently. Actual causes aren't known, but it is a benign condition. It isn't a cause for worry according to the dentist. It usually resolves itself. For most people it doesn't come with any discomfort, but in some it does. It is believed some people are just more sensitive.

Now my naturopath(Doctor of Chinese Medicine) mapped the tongue. He felt it was indication of what is going on in the body, such as vitamin or mineral deficiencies. But my blood work would contradict that.

It is commonly felt that most diseases manifest first in the mouth. And in many cases it does, but NOT in the form of geographic tongue, at least nothing of major concern.

Now if there are sores and such, that is more than simple geographic tongue and should be further investigated. But simple lines in the tongue, will resolve.

I get it randomly, it can last weeks, or days. Why it comes or goes.. I have no idea..lol.

Don't stress it, it should go away.