Menu

Hive, can you help me diagnose this "pimple" on my son's face?

My 11yo son has what I originally thought was a large zit on his nose. I thought it odd since he's not going through puberty. It seemed to be going away, but it came back. Again, it seemed to be going away, but it's back again for a third time. What kind of skin condition could this be? Any thoughts on how I can get rid of it?

ETA: it doesn't hurt him at all...he says he can't feel it.

Edited by 4kids4me

My 11yo son has what I originally thought was a large zit on his nose. I thought it odd since he's not going through puberty. It seemed to be going away, but it came back. Again, it seemed to be going away, but it's back again for a third time. What kind of skin condition could this be? Any thoughts on how I can get rid of it?

ETA: it doesn't hurt him at all...he says he can't feel it.

Just because he says it does not hurt and he can't feel it, I would get it checked. Skin cancer in a kid that age is beyond rare (seriously beyond rare), but it happened to me, and I recall telling my mom how it did not hurt at all. They removed it and it never returned, BTW. It was a tiny scab that looked like a pimple that was about to heal, but it would remain. With that said, the doctor originally wouldn't do anything. My mom had quite a time of it getting them to biopsy it. Boy did they think she was nuts. They were very contrite when they were proved wrong. This is a weird story, so don't let it worry you. But moms know best, and so I thought I'd arm you a bit.

Could it be a boil? Except that boils usually are painful b/c they are filled w/ infection. If the infection doesn't clear completely, I could see that it might reduce and then come back again. Boils look A LOT like a pimple, and they can be anywhere on the body (usually in more private regions though).

My other thought was a ganglion-type cyst. I'm not sure if ganglion cysts are on noses though? I would get it checked out though. A doctor will able to tell right away if it looks suspicious or harmless.

:001_smile: It IS my job to worry! I really don't think it's acne...it's only one spot and it keeps going down and coming back...acne goes away and comes back in another spot.

A boil is possible. I might just take him to the doctor. I'll give it a few more days, I guess.

There are several skin lesions that might not cause pain. One I already mentioned. Another would be viral; we commonly call them warts. They are very persistent, and I could see something like that recurring. Harmless but annoying. Another I don't know the name of, but they are caused by an accumulation of cholesterol (fat). They are generally very round, white bumps that are hard and painless. They can be easily drained by a doctor, but they do tend to recur. I think they are much more common in older people and happen more frequently on the forehead or around the eyes (top of cheekbone), but that is a possibility.

Let us know what you find out, okay? And don't fret! Usually things I have wanted checked out respond best to having a doctor's appointment... for some reason they get better or go away by the time I finally get to see the doctor. Ha!

There are several skin lesions that might not cause pain. One I already mentioned. Another would be viral; we commonly call them warts. They are very persistent, and I could see something like that recurring. Harmless but annoying. Another I don't know the name of, but they are caused by an accumulation of cholesterol (fat). They are generally very round, white bumps that are hard and painless. They can be easily drained by a doctor, but they do tend to recur. I think they are much more common in older people and happen more frequently on the forehead or around the eyes (top of cheekbone), but that is a possibility.

Let us know what you find out, okay? And don't fret! Usually things I have wanted checked out respond best to having a doctor's appointment... for some reason they get better or go away by the time I finally get to see the doctor. Ha!

GREAT! I get those white things. Didn't know it was common in OLD people. Grrrrr. LOL I just pop them.

Can you post a picture of it?!

I've tried posting photos before and I'm useless...I've never been able to. Dh thought it might be impetago, but to me it definitely definitely isn't that. It really does look more like a boil, but I guess it could be an ingrown hair.

Thanks to all for your insights!!!!! :001_smile:

One of the twins had what looked like a pimple on the bridge of her nose last year. It was white and round and looked like it should pop, but just kind of sat there. At age 6 I was pretty sure it wasn't a pimple. I finally took her in and it was some kind of sub-cutaneous cyst. The doc said to leave it alone, as trying to pop it could cause scarring. It eventually cleared up.

That said, I'd still take him in to get it checked, just to be sure.

Would anyone else like to take a stab at it?

Now that would definitely make it hurt. :lol:

Sorry - I couldn't resist. :D

Is it all red, or does it have a white head? Is it on the top or in the crevice on the side? Sometimes those white head ones in the crevice on the side keep coming back because the sweat and bacteria naturally end up there. Try using something as an antibacterial for a few days, have him keep his hands off, and see if that helps. But then again, these do tend to be a bit painful, but not always.

Now that would definitely make it hurt. :lol:

Sorry - I couldn't resist. :D

Is it all red' date=' or does it have a white head? Is it on the top or in the crevice on the side? Sometimes those white head ones in the crevice on the side keep coming back because the sweat and bacteria naturally end up there. Try using something as an antibacterial for a few days, have him keep his hands off, and see if that helps. But then again, these do tend to be a bit painful, but not always.[/quote']

Ugh, I just did that a month about about cooking my ribs and how to do it. lolol

It's all red..on the tip of his nose, slightly to the left.