Menu

CLE Learning to Read, ETC, or OPGTR?

mrs.m

Currently I'm using OPGTR which is going ok. I think once we get out of the letter sounds, he won't be so bored. But right now DS doesn't like to sit and do more than 3 lessons at a time even zooming through the ones that he clearly knows the sounds for. He gets mad for some reason when I start staying the poems for the letters. :confused: I'm not giving up yet.

I guess what I'm asking is if you used CLE LTR did you like it? Is it easy to teach? Completely phonics based? I have concerns that it says it teaches common sight words. And I'm asking because we (even the kids!!!) really like CLE and plan to use it until it doesn't work for us any longer.

I will be continuing OPGTR. I want to have two programs to give him some variety and review. He seems to respond more to the ETC (get ready, get set series) workbooks because he likes to "draw" his letters. So I'm thinking a combo will be nice. I just need to decide where to go next because I need to order it soon!

We use ETC with OPG. Also, my kids don't like it when I say the poems, but they love to listen to them in the car on CD. That CD was worth it's price for us.

I wouldn't have him doing more than 3 lessons. If he knows the sound already, skip the lesson entirely. However, 5 is pretty young to be pushing him. I would be inclined to only do one lesson per day, but you could do them 7 days a week if you're in a hurry. Then supplement with ETC for extra practice. I wrote out a free lesson plan for combining the 2 if you're interested. http://www.lulu.com/product/file-download/classical-k4/883144?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/1

We ditched ETC and OPGTR and used CLE Learning to Read. Look at the scope and sequence. We didn't at the beginning. I did use the letter, word, and phrase flashcards. They are large enough for a busy boy to read while jumping on the trampoline if you stand in the yard.:D

Mandy

We are loving it. We started OPGTR and she did the Get Ready for the Code books last year, but after I lokked at CLE I decided to try it. We both really like it. She is in the 2nd Light Unit and is already reading. It is set up to do a half a lesson a day, but we are doing a full lesson with no problem or resistence. I like that there is phonics and sight words (I know, not a popular opinion on this board) and I love the readers. They remind me of Pathway readers which we have used for years. So, so far so good. I would recommend it.

I don't know anything about CLE (although I'd like to) but my dd4 learned her sounds by us just casually talking about letters as they came up. Like, "what do you think dog starts with" and look at the sign on the letter etc. We tried OPG to but when it was apparent she knew the sounds we stopped (I was bored too). Now, she's revolted against "phonics lessons" per se, but will read, when she's of a mind to, the books from www.progressivephonics.com that are more interesting.

I used OPG with ETC as a supplement. However, I did not do OPG (or ETC) until she already knew all the letter sounds. We skipped all of those lessons and did 2 a day - one review and one new (unless something was hard and we needed to slow down).

Have you tried doing some of the lessons that start the CVC words? Your dc might like those better.

Can someone post a link to CLE... what does is stand for?

Here's a link.

I didn't do CLE LTR because DD was already past it by the time we found CLE. We started with Reading 1 and LA 1. I absolutely LOVE CLE so it would be my recommendation! We started them this last spring and will finish them up this semester before moving on to CLE LA and RDG 2.

We've found it to be very gentle and the spiral approach is awesome for my DD. I'd also get CLE LA 1 since it's meant to go with it and it includes phonics, penmanship, and spelling. The first semester is supposed to be LA 1 and LTR. The second semester is supposed to be second half of LA and Reading 1.

The first semester is supposed to be LA 1 and LTR. The second semester is supposed to be second half of LA and Reading 1.

Actually, LA 100 isn't supposed to be started until you are in Light Unit 105 or Learning to Read. You can read that in there description of Learning to Read on their website. Basically there are 100 lessons in Learning to Read and 80 lessons in Reading 100. YOu can slow it down doing half lessons for K, or in 1st you can do whole lessons a day and be finished in Late Jan or early Feb and then continue on with Reading 100.

Hello ~ We are using CLE LTR with my K'er and it is going well. It does take a little bit of time to go through, so some days we'll do part of the lesson and then take a break/change subjects and then come back to it. I have enjoyed it so far. We are using CLE LA and RTL with my 1st grader and it is also going well.

Actually, we also use FLL but my boys actually LIKE doing narration!!! LOL! They enjoy me reading a story and then telling me about what they read.

My K'er does LTR 3 days a week (doing 1 lesson per day). Doing it 3 days/wk. will still allow it to be completed in a year. It does have some sight words but not many and they are the ones that most other programs use as well (i.e. the, for, do, etc.) We do OPGTTR on the other two days of the week as well as FLL with both the K'er and my 1st grader. My 1st grader does the CLE LA 3 days/wk. and we are getting ready to add RTL 2 days/week. We also do WWE (again, my son loves the narration section). We have AAS but he is already spelling most of the words in it, so I will give him words and have him spell him with letter tiles on a small magnetic/dry erase board.

Last year, my boys only used HWT and ETC and did great. We still do HWT 1-2 days/week. Also, I usually let them do a few pages of the ETC books on Friday. I really like ETC and my boys do as well.

Now, there are definitely days when no one feels like working and we just take it easy. Usually, we just do OPGTTR and/or FLL during lunch so it doesn't "feel" like having to do school.;)

Hope that helps!:)

The first semester is supposed to be LA 1 and LTR. The second semester is supposed to be second half of LA and Reading 1.

Actually, LA 100 isn't supposed to be started until you are in Light Unit 105 or Learning to Read. You can read that in there description of Learning to Read on their website. Basically there are 100 lessons in Learning to Read and 80 lessons in Reading 100. YOu can slow it down doing half lessons for K, or in 1st you can do whole lessons a day and be finished in Late Jan or early Feb and then continue on with Reading 100.

I was wondering how they put that together.

Thanks for all the input. I'm still thinking about it. I am concerned it may be too soon to start and should maybe wait until he is actually in 1st grade as the program is designed--even if he knows how to read by then from using OPG and ETC. A few sight words don't bother me. But my oldest DS has some reading habits that I am pretty sure I can pinpoint back to early sight word instruction from PS and me not understanding proper phonics instruction during my first year HSing. :( So I'm reluctant to mess with that.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I couldn't remember when you're supposed to start them, but I remembered that the fall/spring schedule.

By the schedule in my copy of LA 1, it says that you should start LTR in week 1 of the first semester. In week 9, you start LA 1, which is the start of LU 105. Then you start Reading 1 in week 22 and continue on with both Reading 1 and LA 1 through the end of the year.

I mention it because I wish someone had told me that when I was looking at starting it. I bought Reading 1 and LA 1 and started them both at the same time, not realizing how far along you should be in LA before getting to Reading 1. And that causes problems when you're ready for Reading 2 and only halfway done with LA 1... :)

By the schedule in my copy of LA 1, it says that you should start LTR in week 1 of the first semester. In week 9, you start LA 1, which is the start of LU 105. Then you start Reading 1 in week 22 and continue on with both Reading 1 and LA 1 through the end of the year.

I mention it because I wish someone had told me that when I was looking at starting it. I bought Reading 1 and LA 1 and started them both at the same time, not realizing how far along you should be in LA before getting to Reading 1. And that causes problems when you're ready for Reading 2 and only halfway done with LA 1... :)

Good to know. I didn't know when to start Reading 100, so this helps me. It actually says the info about when to start LA 100 in quite the obscure place on the website. I only found it because I scoured it this summer trying to decide what to do for my K-1 dd. :D