Menu

So when I told DS to tell his dad what all we did today...

...his answer was "We went to Wal-Mart.":tongue_smilie:

Ummmmm, today we:

• gathered different kinds of dirt, sand, rocks, plant material in a jar, then filled it with water and watched the process of sedimentation (earth science)
  • did the "How Much Is 500 Billion" exercise from SOTW 3. To make it a little more interesting and spend some time outside, we used objects from outside instead of around the house. We measured distances on the sidewalk and marked them with sidewalk chalk.
  • read a library book about the Aztecs and Spanish, which included lots of battles and conquest-type stuff. Things that ought to make an impression on a 9 YO boy.
  • made an Aztec head dress craft. They found this one in one of our library books and asked to make it. It fit with the lesson well and I had all the materials so we added it to the lesson plan.

And he says "we went to Wal-Mart" :tongue_smilie:Is that justification enough to send him to public school? (JK! :lol:)

Which reminds me of Author Day when my now 16 yr old was 7 & in second grade (brick & mortar private school). The students wrote about something they enjoyed with their families, and the teachers had sweet little spiral bound books made which the children read at a luncheon. My dc child wrote singularly about food.

"The first night in our hotel my mother called to have pizza sent to our room. The first day we went on Peter Pan's Flight and went with my aunt to have sea food. The next day I had eggs and bagels and saw Chip and Dale. We drove to see my uncle and then he made us steak on his grill. We had a really fun time."

Edited by LibraryLover

That's ok. For a very long time, when DH would ask my younger son what learned that day doing schoolwork, he would answer, "Nothing. It's always the same thing." I was horrified, DH was a tad suspicious and it took a little while for us to work out that all he meant was that he was doing the same subjects pretty much every day. Dh has learned to be more specific in his questions.

God bless you! That was an amazing list of learning activities for one day. I laughed out loud because I think I've heard similar things from my dc. Plus, that was just too funny! What a great day of learning you all had! If your ds is anything like my Lego loving ds, then a trip to Walmart to drool over all the Lego's would have been top on his list of activities for the day.

:D

Yes, but then there are those time when your kid is just kind of sitting there blankly and then busts out with something about deep particle physics and the age of the universe which leaves you standing there slack jawed because this is not something you have ever studied but they appear to know what they are talking about. :001_huh:

And he says "we went to Wal-Mart" :tongue_smilie:Is that justification enough to send him to public school? (JK! :lol:)

No, because after going to all the effort of planning amazing activities and traveling to wonderful locales over summer, your son, who sounds like mine, when asked by his teacher what he did, would reply that he played with the cat. :tongue_smilie:

I hear ya--

A positive spin on it might be that you have a lifestyle of learning, so all those wonderful learning experiences are seen by your kiddo as just part of his daily life! That's a good thing.

I was thinking the same thing. My kids do that to me all the time. We do so many cool things that it's almost as though cool is commonplace.

I hear ya--

A positive spin on it might be that you have a lifestyle of learning, so all those wonderful learning experiences are seen by your kiddo as just part of his daily life! That's a good thing.

Love that perspective, Chris!

I once heard a story (hope this is true!) about Anne Voskamp (author of A Child's Geography) where her kids thought math was school. They had no idea that everything else they did was school; they thought it was just what their family did for fun. I pray that's the case for us: that it's just all done so gently and naturally that they don't realize they're learning!

Sounds like you're doing a great job, Mama! Keep it up!