Menu

Reluctant Reader, please help me!

I have a child who is obsessed with math. He would happily sit and do math workbooks all day rather than play outside or play a game. He's doing 2nd grade math problems, BUT...

...he has ZERO interest in reading. None. Zilch. Nada. He just wants to do math and occasionally look at things under the microscope and look up stuff about them. I've tried 100EZ, I've tried HOP, I've tried just about everything. Now we're doing phonics flashcards and reading beginner books (right now we're using the book I learned to read from: "Sun Up"- the one with Buffy the panda and Mack the bunny). I think he just memorizes it (which is a big problem I've had ever since he went to public school for preschool, but that's a whole different kettle of fish). What can I do?

How old is your son? Some kids are not ready to read until a later age. Especially if he's younger than 7, I would probably just lay off the direct reading instruction for a while. There have been numerous studies that have shown that some children who are taught to read before they are ready may end up hating reading down the line. On the other hand, children who experience delayed reading instruction catch up to their peers pretty quickly.

I would just continue to read a lot to your son and include lots of storytelling.

Good luck!

I have a child who is obsessed with math. He would happily sit and do math workbooks all day rather than play outside or play a game. He's doing 2nd grade math problems, BUT...

...he has ZERO interest in reading. None. Zilch. Nada. He just wants to do math and occasionally look at things under the microscope and look up stuff about them. I've tried 100EZ, I've tried HOP, I've tried just about everything. Now we're doing phonics flashcards and reading beginner books (right now we're using the book I learned to read from: "Sun Up"- the one with Buffy the panda and Mack the bunny). I think he just memorizes it (which is a big problem I've had ever since he went to public school for preschool, but that's a whole different kettle of fish). What can I do?

He's only 5, right? You don't have a problem here. I would choose a simple phonics program, sit with him for 10 minutes each day, and offer a reward after the work is done. Don't concern yourself overly much with whether he's interested or not, it's just something he needs to do like brushing his teeth or eating his veggies. Be gentle with the instruction, offer him small rewards after a few minutes of concentration, try to keep it light, but do be consistent and insistant that he do the work. Also, don't concern yourself with whether he's making "progress". He's 5; he'll learn to read. Tell him he can do math after reading.

If he doesn't get reading....like if he's having trouble with blending CVC words and you think he's only sight reading at this point...then I think I'd lay off formal phonics for now and try again in a couple of months. If he's making progress reading phonetically, but he just doesn't like it, I'd do a short lesson every day--10 minutes or so--and just keep plugging along. When kids are still working on the basics of phonics, it's too soon to tell whether they enjoy reading or not. My now seven year old HATED reading...until it stopped being a struggle for him; now he adores reading and has been heard murmuring to himself, "reading is awesome." :)

Tell him he can do math after reading.

:laugh: Tried that, too.

I know y'all are right. I think we'll just keep plugging away with phonics flashcards every day and quit worrying about it so much. He'll eventually learn, right? My mom- who doesn't like me homeschooling him- has been a bug in my ear for weeks about how he should be reading by now.

I agree with everybody's responses so far: he's only five -- don't push it on him. Yes, do some phonics -- try some games like those in Peggy Kaye's Games For Reading. Read aloud, tell stories. But other than that, don't press.

When he does learn to read, given his interests he might respond better to non-fiction early readers or even some math word problems printed out in large font on the computer. He might be interested in figuring out signs in stores or on the road.

My Eli didn't start reading.........or even wanting to read until he was about 8 and 1/2 or so. What finally did it? I think he was finally embarrassed that he couldn't read and his friends could. Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing. LOL

Stick with it.......... stay calm.......... he'll get it......... eventually.

Definitely not cause for worry. In fact, the more stress attached to it, the more likely he is to hate reading later. I have several friends who have told me that their sons didn't "get" reading until they were 9, but when they got it, they jumped from Cat in the Hat to The Hobbit within the year...all of them. Keep it casual, but consistent. If there are tears of frustration (from mom or son - lol,) take a break for something else and then come back to reading later that day.

Slide some phonics in while you are reading...just point to a word, mid-sentence, and have him sound it out. I wouldn't recommend more than one word per two-page spread.

Most kids begin to read in first grade when they're 6 or 7 years old; not 5. Keep your expectation realistic. Don't let your mom (I'm sure she means well) or anyone else make you nervous about your ds. You are capable and it sounds like you're doing a great job. :D

Also, I'm sure you know, some kids are mathy/sciency and sometimes less interested in reading and fiction. Enjoy him for who he is rather than who you (or anyone else) wants him to be. This can be and should be fun.

My DS finally started reading this summer (he'll be 7 in October). He's a math and science whiz kid too, and figuring out words wasn't that important to him - until I found the right set of books (for him, it was the Now I'm Reading series, followed by Amelia Bedelia and Nate the Great).

I think a big part of it is that I started reading out loud to the kids every single night (thanks to Jim Trelease and the Read Aloud Handbook). I'm constantly getting new books from the library, and everyone gets to choose one book (or one chapter, for longer books) each night. After getting the hang of being read to, and seeing how many fun books are out there, DS finally got interested in learning to read.

I'd go with the others and say not to push too hard - just keep reading and enjoying books together, and he'll get it soon.

• 2 months later...
Definitely not cause for worry. In fact, the more stress attached to it, the more likely he is to hate reading later. I have several friends who have told me that their sons didn't "get" reading until they were 9, but when they got it, they jumped from Cat in the Hat to The Hobbit within the year...all of them.

:iagree: I really struggled to learn to read. I was constantly being pulled out of class for "remedial" reading instruction. I remember sitting in a reading class when I was 12, and just not "getting it". One day it clicked, and within months my reading jumped several grades ahead of my "successful" peers instead of behind them by several grades. A year later, I was reading at college level. (I also had undiagnosed visual discrimination problems:tongue_smilie:)

but at five :), it is no big deal at all. (and yeah, I know it's frustrating. My 5yo is not interested either. we do field trips.)