Menu

wood working for kids, and other handwork ideas

Hi, I'm trying to come up with some handwork ideas for one of my girls. She's tried knitting, crochet, sewing, cross stitch.... but none of those are her cup of tea. I'm trying to find the right outlet for her, but I don't know about much beyond the things I"ve mentioned, so I don't really know what she could try out.

I got to thinking about wood working, because I'm planning a unit on local history, and would be a good craft to go along with it. Where would be a good place to start looking for simple projects she could do? (she's 9, btw)

Some other ideas that I've thought she might like are sculpting, collages, and floral arrangements (she likes arranging things), but I don't really have any interest myself, so I'm not sure how to introduce those to her. Help?

My boys have these. They might be a bit young for your daughter, but my boys have loved them.

Home Depot and Lowes both have craft workshops on the weekend that are usually woodworking. That might be a good place to start--since they're free.

ETA: That same company sells a booklet with woodworking ideas. We have purchased it and imho it is NOT worth the money.

Edited by Jana

There is a marvelous book by Les Walker called Carpentry for Children. It is recently OOP, but you can still get it used. You might check to see if your library has it. It is used in several Waldorf-inspired programs.

It uses only hand tools and starts with very basic projects, moving to more complex concepts. Some are short projects, some much longer.

My dh and ds did nearly all the projects in it together and have had a wonderful time. They are finishing up their go-cart for a rally later this month. :001_smile:

I have had good luck with our local adult continuing education office for kids classes. Ours will allow kids to take some of the classes if the teacher agrees and they attend with an adult. Also, some of the teachers are willing to do private classes on the side or have leads to kids classes in the same subject.

We found a language tutor and a theater class this way.

Hi, I'm trying to come up with some handwork ideas for one of my girls. She's tried knitting, crochet, sewing, cross stitch.... but none of those are her cup of tea. I'm trying to find the right outlet for her, but I don't know about much beyond the things I"ve mentioned, so I don't really know what she could try out.

I got to thinking about wood working, because I'm planning a unit on local history, and would be a good craft to go along with it. Where would be a good place to start looking for simple projects she could do? (she's 9, btw)

Some other ideas that I've thought she might like are sculpting, collages, and floral arrangements (she likes arranging things), but I don't really have any interest myself, so I'm not sure how to introduce those to her. Help?

What about beading?

I got a book from the library called Start to Bead by Jill Thomas. The projects are really nice.