Menu

If you were going to give a talk about homeschooling...

What points would you want to make sure you made?

I was asked to give a talk about homeschooling to our women's group at church. I am THE homeschooler in our church and many of the women I'd be speaking to are teachers or retired teachers. They've all been supportive of my choice to homeschool but I know they think I'm kind of an oddity.:D

I definitely want to talk about the different approaches to homeschooling. I'm thinking also some pros & cons and myths and misinformation. Being a fairly new homeschooler still, I could use some input from you more experienced folks.

So, what would YOU like people to know about homeschooling?

Eight Different Approaches to Education in the Homeschool Community

Most homeschoolers use a combination of these approaches.

===Traditional School Approach ===

Typically uses prepackaged curriculum with a Scope and Sequence educational philosophy. Their daily and yearly schedules usually follow the 6 hour days of institutional settings and a 180 day school year with the summer off. Grading systems like those used in traditional school settings are the norm and aged grades mimic schools. Textbooks and workbooks are their primary texts. Fill in the blank and multiple choice are characteristic of this crowd. Children are generally taught the same information around the same age and proceed along the same path, although some may do so faster or slower. Think institutional school.

=== Unschooling Approaches A and B===

This is a broad term that applies to two distinct groups.

Group A

Generally believes children are wired for learning, and their job as teachers is to avoid interfering with the learning process. Their job is also to provide access to learning (books, lab equipment, etc.) guided by the child’s interests. They do not necessarily think children need to be “taught†outside of answering questions and teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. Think Thomas Edison and John Holt.

Group B

Designs every learning experience to answer the question, “When am I going to use this in real life?†by actually using almost exclusively real life, hands on, applied situations and projects. Only the real world here. They tend to be systematic and adult directed but are very careful to take additional time to follow a child’s interests some too.

===Unit Study Approach ===

Typically these people integrate studies based on an era, historical event, person, character trait, technological development, or historical person. For example, if the Depression is the core of the unit study math, literature, science, history, economics, and writing will hinge on different elements of the Great Depression. This gives the student multidimensional understanding. Each child is given different assignments based on ability, but all study the same core theme.

===Living Books Approach ===

The best literature and writings on each subject are used. Think of it this way, instead of reading from a distilled over simplified textbook on the Civil War, these teachers have their students read several of the books about the Civil War that an author of a textbook would read preparing to write the textbook. Now, think of doing that for science, history, economics, literature, art, etc. This crowd is also known for nature studies “in the field.†They typically use narration by young children of what he/she just learned to increase a child's attention span.

===Classical Education===

Classical education has three distinct camps.. They can be integrated as much as the teacher prefers. Both have a strong preference for first source materials and use primarily Western Classics (Also called the Western Canon, or the Common Book of the Western World.) Both can include the study of "dead" languages (Hebrew, Classical or Biblical Greek, and Latin) although some are content with good English translations of Classic works.

Groups A

Characterized by the Trivium. The 3 stages have many terms. Stage 1 Grammar (facts) stage 2 Logic (cause and effect) stage 3 Rhetoric (application.) History is studied chronologically. Logic is studied formally, and Science is studied with both experimentation, biographies, and original writings of the greatest minds. Classic works from masters throughout Western Civilization in all Eras are studied. Often History, Geography, Science and Literature are integrated into a more unit study approach.

Group B

Characterized by the Mentor Model and sometimes called a "Statesmen" education. Morals, virtue, and character are emphasized above all. In the early years children are allowed to follow their interests and learn good character and right and wrong while developing a strong work ethic. The middle years are when a teacher begins inspiring students by reading classic works by the best minds on the subjects and entering into apprenticeship situations with masters of certain skills. Finally, in the later years the students are mentored in apprenticeships in entrepreneurial situations for their future leadership roles and professional pursuits. Think Thomas Jefferson.

Group C

Also known as the Principle Approach. This is a method often attributed to how many of the Founders were educated.

1. Research the topic by looking up terms in all applicable reference books including the one that is the center of their faith or philosophy.

2. Reason through the material looking for the underlying principles.

3. Relate the information you have found through research and reason and apply it to your life.

1. Record your findings in a logical systematic and persuasive format.

When I talk to teachers I always mention that you can't beat the student-teacher ratio. Seriously, most teachers are aware of the value of the tutorial model. I usually get at at least grudging consent that it could be a worthwhile approach. Unless the teacher gets stuck on how the student will miss out on group projects *eyeroll.*

==Three Homeschooling Mind Sets==

These terms were coined by the Davises in their book I Saw The Angel in The Marble (http://www.amazon.com/Saw-Angel-Marble-Chris-Davis/dp/188409824X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3703)which is the best book on homeschooling on the market so far. Here is a synopsis and my take on the three groups. All three are present in today's homeschool community.

===Pioneers (First Wave of Homeschoolers)===

In the early 1980s before the public schools were generally viewed as performing poorly and safety was not generally an issue, two groups of people emerged creating the modern homeschooling movement.

The first were largely Fundamentalist Christians who wanted what they called a “Christ Centered Educationâ€. Their goal was integrate family relationships, life skills, academics, and religious training in equal proportions into the education of their children. They believed that God had a particular plan for each child’s life, and it was the job of the parent to educate and train their children as individuals for that purpose which usually meant preparing them for college.

Meanwhile a secular group of parents, many inspired by John Holt’s writings, decided that keeping their children at home and customizing a education to suit their particular talents and interests emerged. They believed that real life and academics should be integrated to give a greater understanding of the world, and nurturing the self motivation required for college success.

Both groups had different motivations, but some of their methodology was very similar. They practice tutorial style education with the flexibility that comes with customization. Apprenticeships, life experiences, and high quality academics are common between them. Neither group likes the standard scope and sequence approach that is characteristic of institutional settings.

In general they share the conviction that institutional settings are bad for children, so of course, homeschooling is the only acceptable option to meet their goals.

These two groups were primarily responsible for the court battles necessary to make homeschooling a legally recognized option in each state. They currently fight to deregulate homeschooling nationwide.

===Settlers (Second Wave Homeschoolers)===

In the early 1990s several studies on academic performance revealed that homeschoolers were outperforming insttutionalized children in both the public and private sectors. A group of parents took notice because academic performance was their number one priority. They began homeschooling their children and enjoyed the flexible lifestyle.

They do not have convictions that institutional settings are categorically bad for children, and many can afford private/religious education, but their children are thriving in the homeschooling environment. This group has a large mix of very religious and non religious people, and everyone in between.

Settlers are primarily responsible for taking homeschooling into the mainstream.

===Refugees (Third Wave Homeschoolers)===

By the late 1990s and after the turn of the new millennium public schools were getting bad press- specifically about negative social issues and poor academic performance. The floodgates of homeschooling opened and a new group of parents poured into the homeschool community.

They were fleeing. They did not like the charter schools and could not afford a private/religious institutional setting, so they decided to homeschool until they can afford private schools or until the public schools are seriously overhauled.

They are largely responsible for causing politicians to engage in school choice debates.

Oops, I think I misunderstood the question. :tongue_smilie:

.... But if this was to be a talk for new or potential homeschoolers, I think you'd be on the right track with the "myths and misinformation".

It seems like (around here, at least) the new homeschoolers are told about not much more than the laws, field trip opportunities and curriculum choices. Yes, they need to know those things; but it is really easy to become overwhelmed when so many "seasoned" homeschoolers are telling you what they used and how well it has worked for them. I think it would be good for them to also hear about the mistakes we've made and regrets that we have.

Edited by hsmom3tn

This an exercise for parents considering educational options (particularly homeschoolers.)

1. List/discuss everything in your K-12 education that was good, important, or useful.

2. List/discuss everything in your K-12 education that was not good, important, or useful.

3. List everything you wish had been included in your K-12 education but was not.

4. Describe the ideal education.

I think it is really important for parents (especially homeschoolers) to go through this process before spending time, money, or energy on curriculum or materials. Doing so can make selecting an educational approach, and possibly curriculum if it's compatible with your approach, much easier and keep both parents "on the same page."

I think it is important to understand that people homeschool for many different reasons-- educational, special education, gifted education, religious choice, freedom from government, based on child's strengths, family centrality, etc.... There is no single "homeschool".

What points would you want to make sure you made?

I was asked to give a talk about homeschooling to our women's group at church. I am THE homeschooler in our church and many of the women I'd be speaking to are teachers or retired teachers. They've all been supportive of my choice to homeschool but I know they think I'm kind of an oddity.:D

I definitely want to talk about the different approaches to homeschooling. I'm thinking also some pros & cons and myths and misinformation. Being a fairly new homeschooler still, I could use some input from you more experienced folks.

So, what would YOU like people to know about homeschooling?

It's the loneliest job you'll ever have even though your surrounded by your children 24/7.

I'd talk about the law - why homeschooling is legal and what (if any) requirements parents must meet in order to school at home. Those seem to be the most common questions I get ("Is that legal?" "How are you able to do that? Do you have a degree in education?" etc). I think it's probably because there is one local family in particular that makes others skeptical of homeschooling. :glare:

Another question I get (from parents) is, "Where do you get your materials?" Sometimes I'm tempted to offer a snarky answer like, "Oh, we find everything on Wikipedia." Sometimes I'll go in depth into curriculum research - you might want to talk about how many wonderful materials are available these days, and how hard it can be to choose. :)

When I've given a similar talk to a retired teachers' group (ack!) I focused briefly on the different styles. I went over the law too, as many folks do not understand it. I showed examples of some of the materials I've used and showed some (wonderful :D ) examples of my children's work. I had some copies of NHERI's research to hand out. I emphasized the tutoring aspect... :D Interestingly enough, the only really nasty comment was from a retired state senator that thought I was cheating the ps children of my wonderful teaching! :lol:

I think having some various curriculum to look through is very useful. I've found that people get hung up on thinking that homeschooling either means that we're given a box of books from the school that we teach at home (so why aren't we just in school) or that we're trying to teach everything out of our own heads (and how could we be prepared for that).

It doesn't seem to occur to folks that a middle school teacher isn't writing their own algebra curriculum either.

I've given talks like this a couple times. I went over various curriculum approaches (So You're Thinking About Homeschooling has a good overview of general styles). I also go over the legal aspects so that I can mention what does have to be done, as well as what doesn't.

As for your former state senator, I made the decision to homeschool WHILE I was getting my MS Ed. It was the thicket of contradictory regulations, limitations, requirements and expectations placed on teachers that convinced me that a public school classroom was not the place for me.

What is the purpose of the presentation?

If most of the women are retired, then they are not likely to have more children. Are there younger women in the group that are considering home schooling?

:iagree: Is this a glimpse into your life? Or could this turn into fodder for tearing down your educational choice? Honestly I see homeschooling a lot like parenting. There are many paths to the same destination. As a new parent, or homeschooler, *I* would not want to stand in front of a group of teachers, supportive or not, and be the only voice for homeschooling.

What is the purpose of the presentation?

If most of the women are retired, then they are not likely to have more children. Are there younger women in the group that are considering home schooling?

The theme for the womens group this year is "Our Stories", so each month a member will talk about something in their lives that is important to them that they want to share with the others. I was asked by the group leader and another member (a retired teacher) if I'd be willing to talk about homeschooling because they are intrigued by the idea but don't know much about it. Also, some have wondered how they could use their experiences to be better supportive of the homeschool community - especially those that don't belong to the larger, faith-based support groups (like myself).

The schools here aren't great and everyone knows it. I've had several retired teachers tell me that if they were raising their kids now, they would consider homeschooling. Some have new grandchildren and want to know more in case their children choose to homeschool - and one feisty woman wants information to pass on to her DIL to encourage her to homeschool.;)

Edited by skirch

The theme for the womens group this year is "Our Stories", so each month a member will talk about something in their lives that is important to them that they want to share with the others. I was asked by the group leader and another member (a retired teacher) if I'd be willing to talk about homeschooling because they are intrigued by the idea but don't know much about it. Also, some have wondered how they could use their experiences to be better supportive of the homeschool community that don't belong to the larger, faith-based support groups (like myself).

The schools here aren't great and everyone knows it. I've had several retired teachers tell me that if they were raising their kids now, they would consider homeschooling. Some have new grandchildren and want to know more in case their children choose to homeschool - and one feisty woman wants information to pass on to her DIL to encourage her to homeschool.;)

Wow, this is totally awesome! Well, knowing that, I would have two parts to my talk: 1) HS 101 (what it is and what it ISN'T) and 2) How you can support the HS community. What a great opportunity!

Wow, this is totally awesome! Well, knowing that, I would have two parts to my talk: 1) HS 101 (what it is and what it ISN'T) and 2) How you can support the HS community. What a great opportunity!

Thanks! I'm very fortunate to be a part of such a supportive and encouraging group of women!

I would include a section on a typical day in your homeschool and discuss some of the things like specific field trips that you are able to do because you homeschool.

I would probably keep curriculum discussions pretty short if I included it at all.

I sounds like they have a genuine interest in how your family home schools.

I think I would talk about what your own homeschool looks like, mentioning very briefly a few of the ways and reasons that others homeschool.

I'm trying to think of a way to put this delicately....

With only a 6 yo, you won't want to go into a lot of "philosophy of homeschooling (or education in general.)" It will seem silly and/or condescending to women who have older children and/or have taught for many years. I would concentrate very much on telling them what your typical day is like and your own reasons for doing it, being very humble about it being the best choice for your own family right now.

I think this is a great opportunity to set the tone for how they look at you and your family's choices. :001_smile: