Menu

What's a good song to sing for the elderly at a nursing home?

Our co-op is visiting a nursing home to do some entertaining/talent showcase stuff in a couple of weeks. My almost 13yr old daughter would like to sing a song, but we are stuck on what to sing. She wants to sing Miranda Lambert's The House That Built Me, but I think she should sing something that they will recognize.. Any ideas?

I agree with you and others that she should sing something from the residents' younger days. I would suggest either asking someone you know who is about their age what to sing or call the nursing home director and ask what specific songs the residents like. You could also try googling "popular hits from the 30's" (or 40's) and see if there are songs your dd likes.

My daughter and a friend sang "Open Up Your Heart and Let the Sunshine In" to a group of seniors at our church. I think you can listen to a version on YouTube. Bamm and Bamm and Pebbles did a rendition on the Flintstones. It is very cheery telling you to focus on the positive when life gets you down. I think that's what helps people "survive" life in a nursing home.

Edited by Evergreen State Sue