Menu

Science with everything included??

parias1126

Is there a Science program for early elementary that comes with all the materials for the experiments that doesn't cost an absolute fortune? I purchased RSO, but not sure I want to have to gather any materials on my own now that I am looking at our year of activities, etc.

We're happily using RSO and I think it's pretty easy so far.

But if you want a homeschool science program with all those little things included, I can't imagine it would be inexpensive. I stumbled across Nancy Larson Science recently and think it looks fantastic, and does include all the science stuff you'll need for the year! It's $225, and it might be too much, but just keep in mind it includes everything.

http://www.nancylarson.com/science1.html

I'm using Noeo Science this year. It is secular friendly and uses the Young Scientist Club Kits for some of the experiments. That said there are books used with experiments that do NOT come supplied. So there is still some prep. What I've seen so far is mostly things already around the house and easy to gather, sugar, measuring cups, wax paper, food coloring, etc. The guide does make a reference to God in the intro, other than that the material is secular. The lessons do not teach about God or creationism in any way. Evolution is introduced very briefly. I don't mind this at all. We are doing Prehistory/ Ancient History this year and will be covering evolution as part of our Prehistory. I found most of the books at my library, but decided to buy them anyway so as not to be borrowing and without them sometimes. I could have managed with the library books if I'd needed to save the $ this year. So while it isn't completely ready, it is a step in the right direction for me. I did want to use RSO, but there was just too much gathering and prep for me. I have three kids, one of whom is two, sooooo, yeah. I'm down with shortcuts right about now.

Oops, I think I mixed up my sciences! I was thinking of Real Science for Kids that supported ID. Either way, Noeo isn't really considered secular.

http://www.hsfreethinkers.com/curricula/sciences

As implied by the
, "secular ideas" such as evolution are given short thrift (evolution is considered in Biology II). The Usborne Science spine refers to the theory of evolution as an "idea" that "most scientists believe". The teacher's notes direct the user to look up "theory" in a standard dictionary (thus confusing the lay meaning and scientific meaning) and "discuss how this theory relates to your beliefs". Excerpt from Introduction: "The essence of science is simply observing and describing God's creation. When scientists make a new discovery, they are seeing another part of creation revealed. Romans 1:20 tells us that His attributes, power, and divine nature are clearly seen in what has been made."

Oops, I think I mixed up my sciences! I was thinking of Real Science for Kids that supported ID. Either way, Noeo isn't really considered secular.

http://www.hsfreethinkers.com/curricula/sciences

As implied by the
, "secular ideas" such as evolution are given short thrift (evolution is considered in Biology II). The Usborne Science spine refers to the theory of evolution as an "idea" that "most scientists believe". The teacher's notes direct the user to look up "theory" in a standard dictionary (thus confusing the lay meaning and scientific meaning) and "discuss how this theory relates to your beliefs". Excerpt from Introduction: "The essence of science is simply observing and describing God's creation. When scientists make a new discovery, they are seeing another part of creation revealed. Romans 1:20 tells us that His attributes, power, and divine nature are clearly seen in what has been made."

:) Hope I'm not sounding hopelessly ignorant here (but I may be), but I don't understand how using a curriculum that is designed by someone of a particular religious belief is supporting Intelligent Design. If I purchased Real Science for Kids how exactly would I be supporting ID? I know nothing about that curriculum btw. I could see if the materials were actually teaching about ID that I would be supporting it by passing it onto my kids. Fact is people can hold very different beliefs. I've no interest in presenting someone else's beliefs as fact for schoolwork. I'm curious, aside from if the materials directly teach ID, how one would be supporting ID by using it? Also if it isn't presented in the materials and is just professed to be the author's belief exactly what is the objection?

I did realize Noeo was designed by a Christian. I'm fine with there not being much on evolution. I usually end up supplementing/adjusting most of our curriculum (math, vocabulary, etc) some way or another. There is zero references to God, religion, creationism, etc in the materials presented to the children. This is what I meant by secular friendly. It is to me :). There is literally like 1-2 sentences in the teacher's guide mentioning the author's beliefs in the intro. I have no objection to that.

I was mistaken in my first post on this thread and thought I cleared it up. You are not supporting ID in any way if you use Noeo. Sorry for mixing up my science programs! It isn't 100% secular though, although some families could use it just fine if they desired.

You are however, supporting ID if you use RS4K.

We're happily using RSO and I think it's pretty easy so far.

But if you want a homeschool science program with all those little things included, I can't imagine it would be inexpensive. I stumbled across Nancy Larson Science recently and think it looks fantastic, and does include all the science stuff you'll need for the year! It's $225, and it might be too much, but just keep in mind it includes everything.

http://www.nancylarson.com/science1.html

I think I just fell in love. :001_wub: