Menu

What do you think of not using any curriculum at all?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this, and thought, yes, I did that! I didn't classically educate, though. Books even near that intimidated me. But, I did have Susan Schaeffer McCauley's book, For The Children's Sake, and loved that. I didn't get math curriculum before 3rd grade with either dc, I used workbooks like School Zone. We played store, buying, and being the cashier to learn money. I used a clock to teach telling time. We read the If You series, the Dulaire books, Genevieve Foster, and the like, and for dictation, I had them copy from a book they liked. We have a collection of DK Eyewitness books for science in subjects that interested each dc. It cost little to nothing to homeschool.

I was more relaxed with ds because he was a strong reader and speller, but at middle school, he was in more traditional curriculum. He transitioned fine. Dd read later, so she needed more attention, and she was in curriculum before middle school age. Ds is in college now, dd will be a senior next year. They are good students and fared well.

The only formal curriculum my 6th grader will be using is Math (TT) and History (SOTW/Kingfisher). We use many WTM learning strategies (narration/dictation/outlining/summary writing), though. He'll be using some sorta kinda "programs" for drawing, piano, and sign language, but no formal program for reading, science, grammar, geography, memory, bible - we'll do those things but only using what we already have, real books, and no specific curriulum.

I've decided recently that I hate nearly all laid out programs. He learns just as much with more engagement when we read, write, work and just do "stuff".

What you're contemplating sounds fine, but do you think a few workbooky things would be valuable - maybe a Spectrum math workbook? They're really cheap and easy to use and would provide some easy skills practice. Other than that I think using real books and discussing and writing from/about them can be the meat of a wonderful education.

I am glad I looked into this thread. It's all good food for thought. I have been home schooling for 3 years now. What we do and how we do it changes a little each year. Next year we are trying out Classical Conversation. I am looking forward to it but it will quite different than what we've done in the past.