Menu

Crisis of indecision. Junior High. Ramp up? Relax?

Robin in Tx

I was all geared up for making this last year or so before high school a big a challenging bridge to more serious study. The thread on the hs board started by Nan about the best being the enemy of the good forced me to reevaluate my expections because I tend to overshoot in that category.

I have some good choices for next year. We are very fortunate in that we have two or three organizations that offer classes to homeschooler:

One is a more academically rigorous - demanding homework, comprehensive testing, a more serious approach. This group holds classes in a church building where the kids are required to stay indoors in a particular room (between classes) for study hall, lunch, etc. Serious latin and logic is taught here as well as more advanced science classes and AP english, etc. The workload would be so heavy that there would be no measurable room for supplementation at home.

The other is a little more laid back. Classes are held at a facility with open, shaded grounds, and the kids collect money and order pizza every week and sit outside at the picnic tables to eat and run and play during their breaks (all supervised by a hired monitor). They use some of the same texts as the other group, but they cull out what they think is important and don't give extremely hard tests. Science (especially at junior high level) is more about doing fun projects and learning some basic vocabulary/topics... not really a "pre AP" course like the other. If we went this group, dd would get to do Starting Points, which is a big draw for me. The workload would be light enough that I could supplement with topics that I wanted her to go into depth with, or I could assign writing projects or extra activities/field trips, etc. I could control how heavy or light I wanted things to be. Also, this place is a lot closer to my house, even though I realize that shouldn't be an issue.

Part of me says not to waste any opportunity to lay the best groundwork possible. Develop the study/work habits now.

Part of me says lighten up, make the most of the good instead of stressing over always doing the best.

Have you been at this crossroads before? What decision did you make? Looking back, would you make the same decision? Why or why not?

Thanks

Robin

ETA: I should state that my dd is capable of doing the more academically rigorous work. She really is in need of better work/study habits. She could do SO much if she would only apply herself. But I also think she is easily bored and the "funner" classes might cause her to pay closer attention, and actually LEARN what she is studying (instead of clomping through it begrudgingly, like she now does with math)

Also ETA: I am considering classes next year (for a few subjects) because dd is an only child. She is a little lonely. A little unmotivated. She needs a little positive peer pressure and she needs to get around other people and out of the house - a few classes one day a week is good, and she really, really wants to give this a try. Most of her friends take classes at one of these two places. Keeping it all at home next year is an option that is off the table for now.

What about doing the more relaxed one and you can work with her at home on study habits, note taking, outlining more indepth, and do a more rigorous writing curriculum?

I hesitate to respond to posts like this, because I really am nervous about things that take up so much of my dc's time. I like to teach them. I like to see their progress for myself, part of the reason I love homeschooling so much. I'm all about teachable moments and, sometimes, when we get invovled in so much, we miss those because we are too busy to embrace them. I don't want to be a wet blanket about great academic opportunities.

Anyway, that just my opinion, FWIW! I know you'll make the decision that's right for your dd and your family!:001_smile:

..."This is what I would do in your situation".

Especially when I have no CLUE what I would do with an only child, lol.

But my inclination, based on how I feel and how I parent my kids, is to say that if I had both of those opportunities available to me...I'd pick the eating-pizza-outside one. And even though I can't say for certain what I'd do with an only...I'm inclined to think that I'd especially want some 'fun' thrown in, if our schooling was just the two of us. Not that that's bad...but there's some serious synergy that can happen, in a group, and truthfully, just based on what you've posted, it sounds like the kind of thing that would promote a desire to learn, and that's important to me. You mentioned that one of your biggest concerns was your dd's motivation...and I think you're right to put that at the top of the list. A year doing something different, that still has a strong focus (you said they used some of the same materials as the other program, only in a more relaxed fashion) might be a great thing.

And this is just an opinion, but a relaxed atmosphere might lend itself to forming friendships easier. (For that positive peer interaction).

I wish something like that was available here. (The more serious institution that you described is available here, in a form, and I had some real soul-searching going on before I decided it wouldn't be the most productive thing for us).

I have a bright kid who can get easily bored, too, and while we're working on some of his habits at home (listening even if you think you 'get it', taking notes even though you can probably remember 75% of it, and just generally not being overimpressed with your own intelligence)...I've seen the power that something Different and Interesting has when teaching him. If something is relaxed and interesting (and brief), it's like power-learning. He inhales it, and it's cemented. Yes, he's going to have to learn to sit and listen to someone who just might be boring and long-winded when he goes to college, and we're working on that...but I'm also responsible for getting the material into his head, while he's under my roof, and so...sometimes you do what works best, and gets you the most bang for your buck.

But you have to take my input with a huge grain of salt, because 'relaxed' and 'cherry-picking the most important parts' are right up my alley and down my street, as the saying goes. Anything that resembles what I feel is a great ideology (i.e., looks like what I believe, lol) is going to get my vote. :)

So, I'd listen to the folks advocating for rigor, too, and really weigh all the individual considerations...but my vote is for relaxed. You can hit the things she needs to ramp up on at home.

How serious are the students in the more laid-back class? Your daughter will be forming peer groups -- more or less -- with her classmates. Will these children spur her on toward greater heights of achievement, or will they be content to hang out and have fun during their high school years as well?

My son is at a small classical Christian school which stresses academics, and it has done wonders for him. The students are serious (though not cut-throat), and they're really nice kids who are striving toward acceptance to good colleges. I'm thrilled to have them as peers for my son, who tends to be an underachiever.

It's possible that the pre-AP group is going to siphon off the better students in your community and leave the less serious ones behind for the pizza group. It's just something to think about.

BTW, I have an only child as well. She is almost 12. (Gulp)

1. I really, really want to homeschool. If someone outside of our home was giving my DD all of her major instruction, to the point where all I did with her was work on the other teacher's homework, that really wouldn't feel like homeschooling to me. I would not have the fun of planning things out or going down rabbit trails with DD. We would not be discussing things to the same extent. We would be on someone else's schedule.

2. It sounds as if you would like your DD to be less isolated. The second option sounds like it allows for some social time but still has good academics. That is attractive to me.

3. I LOVE StartingPoints. I have just run across this recently, at a local academy and also at the CHEA conference, where I heard several presentations by the Quines. I am SO impressed with that curriculum. I would put a lot aside to be able to do it with or for DD. And, I think that that is one curriculum that would benefit from group interaction.

Anyway, YMMV, of course, but that is what I would do.

And, I would ramp up, too, but at home.

Based on what you have said, I would go for the more relaxed one. But that is more my style anyway. I use homeschool classes as a double for social groups- and my kids have the most amazing social life. Without it, they are not happy, so it's worth it.

I prefer to be pretty involved too, so I don't think I would go for the more rigorous one you were mentioning, if it covered very many things.

Fun is important and can be an important motivating factor for many kids.

I have always heard it as "good is the enemy of the best." Andrew Pudewa talked about this in his talk on Conquering Corrupt Culture at convention. One of our elders also spoke about it at church. The picture our elder used was of a room where you will spend your life. You walk into the front fo the room, where there are some fun things to do. Many people get stuck there in the front with the fun diversions, never making their way past those to the back of the room, where there are the treasures of a glorious life. I am helping dc past the front of the room, launching them on a path where they will get to the back of the room, even just letting them know the back of the room is there.

If I had a chance to have my dc around other students who are seriously pursuing education, I would jump at it. (I'm a little jealous, LOL.)

We have done relaxed co-ops, and we know many non-academic homeschoolers, and I don't consider their friendships positive peer relationships for my dc. We still have to have the relationships, I just have to constantly temper any "learning is lame" stuff with my dc.

So, anyway, we are ramping up for junior high. I am preparing my dc with a solid foundation that will truly allow them to pursue any learning they want in high school and college. To me, that is freedom and happiness.

Consider yourself lucky to even have this choice. :001_smile: I'm still a tad jealous...

My son will be in 9th grade next year; he's an only child, too, but so active in sports that we need the time away! I'd vote for the more laid-back approach--sounds as if you're leaning that way. She'll have plenty of time for rigor in highschool...my son always enjoyed the science classes we did in group (in Albuquerque) when he was younger...he was less than thrilled with the Potters School course he took (he got 100% on all his work)--he enjoyed the teacher, but the other students were silly...messing around, posting questions that he couldn't believe they needed to ask...

Sticking my big toe into this conversation:

I think it absolutely depends on the disposition of the child . . . my first son would thrive in an intense academic environment. He doesn't need "fun" as a pre-requisitie simply b/c learning is fun in his world. He's very competitive and would see the work-load as a challenge.

My second son, on the other hand, would shrivel up and die in the academic class you described. He'd need more interaction, more social time . . .

I guess you have to decide based on your child's nature. Will the academics spur her on into deeper waters, or leave her ship-wrecked on the beach?

Good luck with your decision.

Tricia

We have done relaxed co-ops, and we know many non-academic homeschoolers, and I don't consider their friendships positive peer relationships for my dc. We still have to have the relationships, I just have to constantly temper any "learning is lame" stuff with my dc.

Amen to this! Friends really do matter.

I think you need to think about which group you would prefer for your dd to emulate and let that help make your decision.

The reason for the facility restriction is that the church doesn't currently have a "playground" or outside area where kids can run around (due to recent construction). This is a class program for students 7th grade and up... during any off periods, students must be in either a room designated for study hall or a room designated for socializing with friends (kind of a coffee break room). They hang out, there are snacks and drinks... at the other place, the "hanging out" is done outside rather than in a a designated room. I didn't mean to make it sound so oppressive :)... they really are doing the best they can with the facilities they have, and I know many families who return to it year after year... so they must be doing something right!

Robin