Menu

What do I do with all these cherry tomatoes?

You can throw them into anything else that is tomato based to can or freeze. Sauce, soup, salsa, etc.

They tend to be a bit juicier than your typical tomato, but other than that, they'll work pretty much like any other tomato.

They're labor intensive if you need to skin them by hand -- not worth the trouble in my book, but if you have a tomato press/mill/seive thingy, they are no more trouble than any other tomato.

We love a warm cherry tomato salad.

Heat a pan to medium with some EVOO in it. Saute some minced garlic for about a minute.

Add toms and saute until they begin to burst. Add a handful of chopped parsley and some S&P and you have a fabulous, different salad.

We sometimes add feta cheese too.

We also use them for apps - if they are the relatively bigger ones. Cut the tops off, scoop out and fill with chx salad, pimento cheese, tuna salad, bacon and cream cheese - whatever suits you.

We have the same problem. After giving away umpteen zillion, canning a couple jars of crushed tomatoes, and eating them until they are coming out of our ears, we tried drying them. Delicious! We found the instructions on a blog that I now cannot remember the name of (sorry blog person!). Basically, halve the tomatoes, toss with salt, pepper, a little olive oil, and some sliced up garlic. We added some basil to one batch, and I'm sure you could add any number of other herbs. Lay them out on baking sheets and stick them in the sun or a 225 oven for a few hours. Then wait. It takes quite some time, but they dry down to this crispy/chewy sweet and salty deliciousness. I don't like sun dried tomatoes that you get in the store, but I've been eating these babies by the handful!

If you have a dehydrator, that seems to work the best. But our first batch was just set in the sun during the day and brought in at night and it turned out well. I'd cover with cheesecloth or something if you set them outside though.

Freeze them! Super easy. Just wash them, pat dry, put them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer for a few hours. When they're frozen put them in a freezer bag. I love this:

211950222.jpg

Once they're frozen, they're great in soups and sauces. I wouldn't eat them raw though, as they're kind of mushy.

Freeze them! Super easy. Just wash them, pat dry, put them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer for a few hours. When they're frozen put them in a freezer bag. I love this:

Once they're frozen, they're great in soups and sauces. I wouldn't eat them raw though, as they're kind of mushy.

My MIL does this, but she dry roasts or grills them first. They end up with those charcoal lines on them, a little petrified LOL, but this process just zaps lots of flavour into them. Again, as Perry mentioned, freeze them to use in future recipes.

You can dehydrate them in a food dehydrator (just cut in half after washing and lay flat on the tray) or in your oven if you can set the temp as low as 150. They are wonderful to have in the winter on salads when the only thing available in the stores has been trucked from Costa Rica or Columbia, was picked while green, sprayed with nitrogen to get it to ripen en route, and tastes BLAH!

If you want a seasoned tomato, dehydrate and then put some in a jelly jar with garlic, basil, and olive oil and a hint of apple cider vinegar...very tasty.

Faith

Let my ds come over and he will eat them all :lol: Every year we plant them he stands in the garden eating them off the vine. It is funny, I send him out with a bucket and he comes back with maybe 5.:lol: We didn't get to have a garden this year and he has missed them.

Sorry I wasn't any help. Feeling a little silly today.

Freeze them! Super easy. Just wash them, pat dry, put them on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer for a few hours. When they're frozen put them in a freezer bag. ...

:iagree:

They are great in chili. I partially thaw them, quarter them, then dump them in the pot.