Menu

Special first day ideas?

We dress in school uniforms (bought at the second hand store) and take our backpacks to panera's and do some schoolwork over lunch. day 2 for our clan is a trip to Kings Island (local HUGE Amusement Park) with the Principal :D.

We usually do a fun activity and go out for lunch. This year it's an archaeological dig in a large shoebox to kick off ancients, and we are switching it up by having a college girl take the kids out for lunch while I go out for Indian buffet with a friend. Woot! It's on Wednesday!

Also, tomorrow we're taking a surprise day trip to Sacramento to play with a cousin as a summer wrap-up. While our PS friends go mob the school to find out what teacher they have...

We always have Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast on our first day of school. My boys would rather have doughnuts than any other treat, but they're so unhealthy, I hardly ever buy them. (I could live a long and happy life without donuts...unless it's a hot Krispy Kreme, and that's another story!).

I always make them eat some kind of protein, too, so they aren't bouncing off the walls an hour later. We also try to go to Chuck E. Cheese's for lunch at some point during our first week of school. We usually meet up with another HS friend and the kids enjoy mostly having the place to themselves.

Oh, and they usually do some kind of "about me" project that I keep, and the regulatory paper or paragraph about summer vacation. :)

We take lots of pictures outside, as formal of a portrait as one can get outside having fun. I take pictures of their hands all together, or feet, and take one of them standing one behind another and so one and have them all bend out to alternate sides (like Sound of Music). Corny. But they have a blast doing it and makes a great keepsake. We look for the signs of fall in a colder climate and make leafy pictures.

Some years we have taken a field trip every day for the first week.:auto:

I'd love some new ideas!

We usually go out for breakfast on the first day of public school, as sort of a "not back to school celebration," and we also try to schedule some kind of super-fun activity for the same day, like maybe a trip to a zoo or something like that. (Ok, I'll admit it, we also gloat a little when we see the public school kids waiting for the bus... but of course, they have no idea that we're doing it, because we don't actually say anything to them about it!)

On our first day of homeschool, I usually surprise ds with a little gift in his desk (nothing incredibly expensive or anything, just something fun,) and I give him some school supplies that I think he will like. We usually take it pretty easy on the first day, and then go out for lunch, but I wish I could come up with something new and different to make it more special.

I'll be watching this thread very closely! :)

Cat

We have a "not back to school" beach party with our homeschool groups on the day after Labor Day, when all the ps start back. My dc love shopping the sales this time of year, getting fun erasers or pretty pencils or whatever, so it's kind of an extended thing, not just one day.