Menu

For High School English on Transcripts...

Do you title your student's courses:

English 1, English 2, English 3, English 4

English 9, English 10, English 11, English 12

English 9, English 10, American Literature, British Literature

English I, English II, English III, English IV

Any combination of the above, or something better?

Help, I'm pulling my hair out over silly things. :001_huh:

Do you title your student's courses:

English 1, English 2, English 3, English 4

English 9, English 10, English 11, English 12

English 9, English 10, American Literature, British Literature

English I, English II, English III, English IV

Any combination of the above, or something better?

Help, I'm pulling my hair out over silly things. :001_huh:

Well, it's assumed that an English course includes literature, so "English 9, English 10, American Literature, British Literature" wouldn't make sense.:001_huh:

Any one of the other choices would be fine.

If you need to provide course descriptions, that's where specifying British or American literature would come in.

I worry about the same thing too!

My problem is that my dd took English 10 Honors (called Literary Analysis and Composition II Honors on her transcript) as a 9th grader last year in her online charter school. Since we're going back to homeschooling independently, I'm not sure *what* to put on my version of her transcript.

I don't know whether to list the course she took by its name, and then do my own thing with subsequent courses, or change the name of her 9th grade course on my transcript to be consistent with our subsequent courses, which will be labeled along the lines of "American Literature and Composition." (The colleges she's focusing on prefer to see it that way.)

I worry about the same thing too!

My problem is that my dd took English 10 Honors (called Literary Analysis and Composition II Honors on her transcript) as a 9th grader last year in her online charter school. Since we're going back to homeschooling independently, I'm not sure *what* to put on my version of her transcript.

I don't know whether to list the course she took by its name, and then do my own thing with subsequent courses, or change the name of her 9th grade course on my transcript to be consistent with our subsequent courses, which will be labeled along the lines of "American Literature and Composition." (The colleges she's focusing on prefer to see it that way.)

I would adjust my course names to fit the English 10 Honors. I would not adjust the name of the course that will be on the official transcript from the school she received that course from. Just my .02. I think it would be confusing. I would just progress from there. I am loving having a subject ordered rather than semester/year ordered transcript for this and other reasons.

Well, it's assumed that an English course includes literature, so "English 9, English 10, American Literature, British Literature" wouldn't make sense.:001_huh:.

It depends on what was covered in each course or in each year.

When I was in high school (eons ago!), our school had English 9 & English 10 and every student took either a regular or an honors section of these two classes. They were comprehensive grammar, composition, basic public speaking, and intro to literary analysis courses.

There was no English 11 or English 12, however. Each student took semester length classes based on needs and interests. Most college bound students took a composition class & a literature class each year. The only year long class offered at that level was AP English.

In my case, my transcript looked like this:

9th: English 9 Honors

10th: English 10 Honors

11th: Advanced Composition, British Literature

12th: AP English

It is important that a transcript reflect composition at an upper high school level, so if British Literature & American Literature are both one year courses, it might be good to label them as British Lit w/Composition, American Lit w/Composition, or something similar, as long as each of the literature classes has a significant writing component. Labeling them that way will communicate the breadth of literature study the student undertook.

I

It is important that a transcript reflect composition at an upper high school level, so if British Literature & American Literature are both one year courses, it might be good to label them as British Lit w/Composition, American Lit w/Composition, or something similar, as long as each of the literature classes has a significant writing component. Labeling them that way will communicate the breadth of literature study the student undertook.

:iagree: